PDA

View Full Version : Load securment

leeaspell
05-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Was on my way to work this morning, heading to the bigstone. Right at the bottom of the Iosegun hill just before the 947 turn off there's these 2 trucks on the shoulder with the 4 ways going. It turns 3 lane there so I moved over and slowed down. As I passed I had a look to see of everything was kosher. What I seen was the front guy taking a picture on his phone of the second guy. What he was taking a picture of was the remaining 4 feet of a 2x4 sticking out through the windshield of the other truck!!! By the looks of it, it came in just to the right of the drivers face. That's pretty Mich the scenario I picture evetytime I'm behind a log or lumber wagon.

Tie that load down. Always think if you're the guy behind you heading down the highway.

Just an fyi, there was no one in the lumber impaled truck

Lornce
05-16-2014, 06:32 AM
On Monday I was narrowly missed by a bag of cement that rolled off the deck of a flatbed. I was lucky enough to notice it start to roll and changed lanes quick. Thank God the lane next to me was empty.

bobinthesky
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
One day last fall on the south side of Calgary, a few chunks of cement fell out of the back of a truck a few minutes ahead of me. The chunks ranged anywhere from the size of a golf ball to the size of loaf of bread. I made it through without hitting any but on the other side, there were several cars stopped along the shoulder with flat tires. Some even had all four tires flattened! I hate to think how many had ruined tires before the cement chunks got cleaned up.

Stinky Buffalo
05-16-2014, 08:03 AM
For sure, had a bunch of cement chunks bounce down the hood/roof of my car many years ago - was really maddening. Only other incident I had was when a roll of insulation popped off a flat deck next to me - thankfully it was reasonably squishy and I was able to hold my truck on the road.

twofifty
05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Was passed on a 4 lane by a pickup carrying a wobbly looking stack of highway truck tires, unsecured. I gave it a bit of extra room. Then the top tire falls out and bounces past me into the median.

Dacotensis
05-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Good point at any time of year.

A family is mourning the death of their father due to some other guy who obviously didn't safely hook up his utility trailer.
Sad really that there isn't a process to go through in order to get a towing license.
I can't begin to count how many times I've seen trailers without safety chains or the chains not crossed underneath.
The purpose to crossing your chains is in case that coupler/ball breaks loose.
The tongue of the trailer will then rest on the crossed chains.
Too many trailers without a Breakaway switch as well.
It's the law for a reason.
I saw a tractor trailer unit losing it's load this winter on the Henday. He exited on to the Sherwood park freeway doing about 10.
How would you like to drive beside that load.
I have a picture. I'll see if I can load it later.

Be safe this weekend.
Give yourself lots of space btwn vehicles.
Tailgating won't get you alive any faster. But it could have the opposite effect.

bison
05-16-2014, 10:33 AM
About 9-10 years ago one evening when going to work in Mclennan my wife was driving south between Nampa and Donnely corner and was overtaken by a semi loaded with an old wooden shack or camp, the shack was badly swaying on the trailer and my wife was afraid the damn thing was gonna come apart so she tried slowing down to create some distance but there was an other semi with the flasher out indicating he wanted to pass her as well right on her tail. the moment the truck behind her was swinging out to the other lane to overtake her the shack's roof on the trailer ahead of became air borne, to late to hit the brakes and not able to swing out to the left cause of the Semi beside her and not daring to hit the ditch as that was going to turn in a roll over. My wife thought she was a goner when she was afraid that that roof was gonna land right on top of her but it luckily hit the road a second before she hit it and somehow she managed to pound over all the pieces of lumber without losing control all the while hanging on the brakes.

The second truck had an identical shack on the trailer.
Neither of the drivers stopped to see if she was OK, both truck's just kept on on going and disappeared in the distance.
There was no one else on the road at that time to witness the incident.
I Notified the RCMP of the accident and gave them the particulars of the semi's with their dangerous loads before heading out to the scene to make sure she was alright.

I never seen a cop at the scene that night but one cop did contact my wife by phone at her work about 4 hrs later.
Til today we still have to get any feed back from the RCMP about it, i don't think they gave/give a rats azz:rolleye2:

Sooner
05-16-2014, 11:07 AM
As an damage appraiser I have seen a few crashes where loads have come through the cab from the back side. One semi driver had his seat back pushed forward and a big ole pipe slide by his ear and out the windshield. Other than having to buy new shorts he was un injured. Only thing that saved him was his reinforced headache rack. One driver lost his head literally after he rolled in the ditch and his load came forward. I personally have had to dodge a piece of poplar tree at highway speeds that was bouncing away on a log truck, then broke. Not fun trying to guess where a 4 ft by 6 inch log is going to end up. Thankfully it skidded into the ditch on the other side of the highway without any vehicles coming the other way.

elkdump
05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
lost a close friend years ago, an aluminum car-topper came undone from a camper top, and surfed down the oncoming traffic lane, went through the windshield of my friends car, killed him instantly

the camper guy had used bungee cords to hold the 12 foot boat on his camper,

a small traffic fine was his punishment :angry3:

dale7637
05-16-2014, 02:52 PM
My folks had a snipe come through the hood of their SUV a couple years back.

It bothers me to think of what would have happened if it had been a couple feet higher.

There is a real lack of professional drivers anymore. Not saying there are none, but the professionals are getting outnumbered by the "meat in the seat"

tri777
05-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Along this same themed topic,with all the blown semi truck tires
i see daily accumulating in the ditches,this scares the poop out of
this one! Has anyone here been hit by one of these blown tires
shredding off the rims and being flung at your vech/damage?

twofifty
05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Not quite.

Had a tandem truck tire blow a sidewall as it was making a slow scrubbing left turn in front of me. Luckily, the gravel swept up by the blast hit my window, which I'd just rolled up a few minutes earlier.