PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake Fishing Derby Feb2008

FisherGirlsMama
10-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Hello,
Just looking for some feedback about the derby if you have ever attended.

Is there any consideration given to where on the lake the derby is held?
I have looked at maps of the area, and this is a fish spawning area for pike and perch. Does that make for a good place to fish?

Do you believe the organizers and fishermen(women) are being responsible in cleaning up after the derby? Garbage, cans etc?

Have the organizers ever announced how they give back to the community where the derby (this and others) are being held? (They hail from Manatoba.)
Like, donations to help with lake cleanup in the spring, actively being stewards of the lake (any lake they hold a derby). Making sure they are not damaging the environment so there will be quality fishing for years to come?

I have mixed feelings about the derby, my husband and his friends have been going for about 4 years. We live out here now and see first hand the "after" effects of the derby. So I'd just like to know your opinions, positive or negative.

Check out "Gull Lake Life" Blog!
http://gulllakelife.blogspot.com/

Join the Gull Lake Life Facebook Group!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42829904017

bobalong
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
IMO derbies (must be mandatory catch and release) usually have a positive effect on the community where they are held. I am not sure if it is still the case but I believe the Lamont Fish and Game used to be the "sponsor" for this tournament, and I would assume receives a donation from the "derby" organizers.
To hold a derby in the province of Alberta you must have a Competitive Fishing Licence (for a derby this size). You must submit a licence application to the local fisheries biologist with the Charitable Societies # of the club hosting the event on the application and the names and phone numbers of the people or business whom you have contacted in the area to receive permission to hold the event. The biologist reviews the application and it is up to him after he has assesed all the criteria (location, species, # of entrants, state of fishery etc), if the derby licence is to be issued.
These derbies are mandatory catch and release and if you want the fish mortality numbers (if there are any) you should be able to contact the area Fish and Wildlife division. The derby organizers must submit a form to the local Fish and Wildlife within 10 days of the derby, listing the number of entrants, hours fished, fish mortality, and other information as well. I would assume that the local Fish and Wildlife office reviews these reports every year and use this info when determining if the derby will be allowed again.
I do not know who monitors the cleanup of the lake after the event but would assume the local Fish and Wildlife would, as they monitor most activities that take place on the lake.

FisherGirlsMama
10-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Thank you, I will take this information and check with the local fish and wildlife powers that be.

Anyone else with comments, they are welcome.