PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wire help

grant
05-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I forgot to hook my batteries up before my wife left for camping. I'm working all weekend so can't help hook them up. Any chance anyone can guide me how to hook these up? Pic attached. If you can you will save me a lot of headache... Thanks all

arrow dog
05-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Hook trailer positive (usually red wire) to positive on one battery. Then hook trailer white wire to negative on opposite battery. Run a wire from negative of 1st battery to positive of second battery. Pm me if you need more help.

Trooper23
05-16-2014, 09:13 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture but I will try and guide you a bit on this.

You need to find which of the larger wires is coming from inside your trailer, this your positive. That will be clamped to the positive post of the first battery. Then you need a wire from that same positive battery post and clamp it to the positive post of the second battery. This connects the batteries up in parallel connection.
Then you need to find the larger wire coming to the batteries that is "grounded", that is, it is clamped to the frame somewhere. This wire goes on your negative battery post of the first battery, then run a wire from that same negative battery post to the other negative battery post. You should now be connected in parallel.

If there are other smaller wires coming up to the battery, they are probably for something added on or auxiliary and can be connected to either of the batteries. Just need to make sure which is the positive wire.

Hope this helps but your battery cables aren't color coded like they should be (I.e. Red for positive, black for negative).

grant
05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Thank you. I'll pass this on right away and let you know the results

lannie
05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
I forgot to hook my batteries up before my wife left for camping. I'm working all weekend so can't help hook them up. Any chance anyone can guide me how to hook these up? Pic attached. If you can you will save me a lot of headache... Thanks all

When you wire batteries together in series you will increase the voltage while keeping the amp hour capacity the same. For instance two 6V 150Ah batteries wired in series will give you a total of 12V at 150Ah

If you wire in Parallel you will increase the amperage and the voltage will stay the same.

I hope this helps.

Trooper23
05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
I assumed you have two 12 volt batteries on there? Are they 6v?

desertdueler
05-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Those are 6 volt batteries (notice there is only 3 cell vents on each). The need to be connected in series as follows:

Power wire for trailer (can be any color depending on manufacturer) connected to + of battery 1.
- of battery 1 to + of battery 2.
- of battery 2 connected to trailer ground.

Trooper23
05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Yup, you're right. Was looking at the pic on my phone without glasses. It's a bugger getting old!!

grant
05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes they are 6v. Still waiting on response to see if it is working now. I really appreciate all the help!!

grant
05-16-2014, 09:48 PM
We have power!! Thank you!

My wife already tripped it though plugging an electric heater in lol. She is learning to say the least

desertdueler
05-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Yup, you're right. Was looking at the pic on my phone without glasses. It's a bugger getting old!!

Sure is. Thank heaven for zoom!