PDA

View Full Version : Can am 800 vs grizzly 700

crf250xtom
05-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Which quad would you choose for trail riding mudding hunting and ice fishing.

Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated

CanuckShooter
05-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Any company that builds in Canada, and sells them cheaper to americans in the usa....doesn't need my business. just an opinion.

Klondike
05-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Any company that builds in Canada, and sells them cheaper to americans in the usa....doesn't need my business. just an opinion.

actually they are assembled in Mexico. have been for about 5 yrs now.

Gade81
05-17-2014, 07:03 AM
I ride an outlander 800, That'll tell you what I think :sHa_shakeshout:
Theres pluses and minuses to both, at the end of the day for me it's all a wash, except the insane power difference. That being said, I've owned a couple grizzes as well and they are nice enough machines.......just slow

Dark Wing
05-17-2014, 07:17 AM
I have only ever driven grizzlies and love them. They do have a few qurks like over heating from time to time but with some mods that can be taken care of. I'm waiting for the new can am Outlander 6x6 to come out on the market in NA for my next purchase. Hope it's soon my old 99 grizz needs to retire.

riden
05-17-2014, 08:27 AM

You forgot to mention that they have received enough Federal and Prov money over the years, they could almost qualify as a crown corporation.

brother1
05-18-2014, 07:35 AM
We were just in the market as well. Friends have a couple of Grizzly's, I have an Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700, and we looked at Suzuki King Quad, Grizzly, Polaris & Can Am. Found some good deals on closeout Grizzly's and Cats, but walked into Riderz in Edson and bought a Can Am. It was the first place that actually explained how much more you get with a Can Am xt, vs the others (bumpers, winch, 3yr warranty-that's huge) so, dollar wise, it made sense to us. I drove it last night and it is sooo much smoother than my mud pro..the ride and the engine! Haven't compared them for speed side by side yet but the 650 feels faster than my 700 (on paper it is). Anyways, it's my wifes quad, but I think it's a great machine, and I would jump on a new Can Am 800 or 1000 xt if I had the cash right now....(and I used to sell Polaris!) At the end of the day, I think that all the brands would serve you well, under normal riding conditions (what we do with our small children) Now if you're burying it in mud over the handlebars and riding it like it's stolen....who knows which one will take the most abuse? Look around on the road and you'll see every brand on the back of trucks and trailers....these days if one brand was junk...they wouldn't sell any. Just my 2 cents

brother1
05-18-2014, 07:37 AM
We were just in the market as well. Friends have a couple of Grizzly's, I have an Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700, and we looked at Suzuki King Quad, Grizzly, Polaris & Can Am. Found some good deals on closeout Grizzly's and Cats, but walked into Riderz in Edson and bought a Can Am. It was the first place that actually explained how much more you get with a Can Am xt, vs the others (bumpers, winch, 3yr warranty-that's huge) so, dollar wise, it made sense to us. I drove it last night and it is sooo much smoother than my mud pro..the ride and the engine! Haven't compared them for speed side by side yet but the 650 feels faster than my 700 (on paper it is). Anyways, it's my wifes quad, but I think it's a great machine, and I would jump on a new Can Am 800 or 1000 xt if I had the cash right now....(and I used to sell Polaris!) At the end of the day, I think that all the brands would serve you well, under normal riding conditions (what we do with our small children) Now if you're burying it in mud over the handlebars and riding it like it's stolen....who knows which one will take the most abuse? Look around on the road and you'll see every brand on the back of trucks and trailers....these days if one brand was junk...they wouldn't sell any. Just my 2 cents
Oh, by the way, I don't live anywhere near Edson, was just there to see a friend, but Riderz was worth the 3 hr drive back to buy a quad from. Awesome dealership and they gave us a deal that blew everyone else out of the water!

Pipque
05-18-2014, 09:00 AM
I chose the Outlander 800 XT Max six years ago. I've never felt bad about my decision. Fantastic machine right out of the box. Still fantastic after six years.

Jims71duster
05-18-2014, 09:09 AM
The 700 has barely enough power and if you go with new tires and the are heavy like a xtr mud lite it will need to be clutched, they are a good machine and reliable, just under powered if the tires are heavy. The canam has lots of power and if you get an xtr it's already to go with no upgrades needed and it's cheaper to buy it done at the factory than doing it yourself.

elkhunter11
05-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I chose the grizzly, because I prefer a lighter machine.It has plenty of power for my uses

BEL
05-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I have a grizzly with power steering. It is fantastic to ride and loads of power for my uses. I believe too much power gets a fella in trouble. I went with the 700 only because it was the only one with PS. No problems with it so far. BEL

stemorholake
05-18-2014, 09:39 AM
I've never owned a grizz, I'm a Polaris guy personally but last year while moose hunting we got a large bull and my Polaris and another fellas grizzly could not pull our moose, a guy with a can am who was staying in the same camp area as us brought his machine out and was able to pull the moose out to my truck...I was pretty impressed. Would I switch from Polaris...not sure, but the power in that can am was pretty amazing.

shr970
05-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I've never owned a grizz, I'm a Polaris guy personally but last year while moose hunting we got a large bull and my Polaris and another fellas grizzly could not pull our moose, a guy with a can am who was staying in the same camp area as us brought his machine out and was able to pull the moose out to my truck...I was pretty impressed. Would I switch from Polaris...not sure, but the power in that can am was pretty amazing.

What size is your polaris and the size of your friends grizzly? Also do you remember the size of the can am?
I have the polaris 700 love it very comfortable to drive but always wanted to try a can am if you know any one with the machines your interested in try taking them out for a spin that would probably make your decision easier. But at the end of the day any machine you get and take care of should last you a long time

elkhunter11
05-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Posts like that make me wonder how we ever managed to get our moose out with our little 300s and 350s, yet we always managed to drag them out. My 500 Rubicon seemed like overkill, the first time I used it to drag out a moose.

STURKO OUTDOORS
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Honda.... Ride red, ride home..... Guys with 1000ccs have ill man syndrome

Skybuster
05-19-2014, 10:19 AM

That must have been some moose. I have owned a 96 Polaris 500 and a 700 Grizz. I have pulled numerous moose with the Polaris 500. One I had to pull through a dry beaver pond, required vertical up and downs of 2 feet and more at the banks. Gave lots of gas and pulled the big old bull with no issues. I haven't pulled as difficult a moose with the Grizz but it is even more powerful than the 500 Polaris. I have no complaints with power on either machine.

coolpete1
05-19-2014, 04:29 PM
i have a grizzly and like it, but i find when looking new that the can am gives you alot more for your money where the yamaha comes pretty bare bones . i like my quad , its got good power and is super reliable but a can am is faster. i don' t like speed much so i don't care about that anyway.

rawhide
05-20-2014, 12:20 AM
I have owned both, yamaha's and now on the Can-am's. I have the Outlander 1000 and a Renegade 800. Both the Girzzly and the Outlander are a great machines. The fit and finish on the Yamaha's are the best out there. If you do your own maintenace or want to add gear. The yamaha's are built better to wrench on. the Outlanders are great too, but not to the level of build as the Yamaha's. For example, the yamaha's will have welded nuts on all components, where as the can-am's are a typical nut bolt and washer assembly. Not a big deal, but can be a pain when doing work on the machines. especially in small/tight areas, or when working outside. if you drop a small 8-12mm nut, good luck finding it again. Or getting a match at a box store. Power wise, the twin cylinder quads are awsome on power. No comparsion between the 700 single Grizzly and the V-twin 800 Can-am, even the Can-Am 650 has way more power than the Grizzly.

But all being equal, if Yamaha came out with a 800+ Twin Grizzly, I would go back to Yamaha in a heart beat. Not that the Can-am has ever let me down, I have close to 4000km on the Outlander 1000 with no issues. You are about 2k more for the Outlander 800 than the Grizzly.

HunterDave
05-20-2014, 01:20 AM
I don't think that a Canam 800 vs a Grizzly 700 is comparable......A Canam 650 vs a Grizzly 700 would be more comparable IMO. The 800 has more power than I need and way more get up and go than a Grizzly 700. I have a Canam 500 that I use as a workhorse and very little rec riding. It has enough power but I think that the next time I'll get a 650 for that little extra umph.

casual observer
05-20-2014, 01:38 AM
This discussion has been had many times. Them little squinters make stuff better period. The can am might go faster when it runs, but I hate walking when that wasn't the plan . I'll take a Japper every day over any North American machine.

takkotime
05-20-2014, 01:44 AM
This discussion has been had many times. Them little squinters make stuff better period. The can am might go faster when it runs, but I hate walking when that wasn't the plan . I'll take a Japper every day over any North American machine.

This is 2014, dude. 'Little Squinters?' 'Japper?' C'mon. That kind of crap is totally unnecessary.

casual observer
05-20-2014, 01:54 AM
To be clear, I do not mean that in a derogatory sense whatsoever. I have several Japanese friends and coworkers. I call them that every day in friendly tone. Sincerely, no disrespect meant at all to any minority of any sort. Tone is sometimes missed in type.

score
05-20-2014, 05:30 AM
have used many different makes (except Arctic Cat) of quads over the years but only ever owned Polaris. Polaris would be my suggestion if they're an option for you.

Precisionshooter
06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Looking hard at a oultlander 800 xt or xt-p.......

ESOXangler
06-26-2014, 12:45 PM
To be clear, I do not mean that in a derogatory sense whatsoever. I have several Japanese friends and coworkers. I call them that every day in friendly tone. Sincerely, no disrespect meant at all to any minority of any sort. Tone is sometimes missed in type.

Oh so you know a Japanese guy so it's cool to be prejudice! :angry3:

Can am all the way!

Ivo
06-26-2014, 03:52 PM
I can't believe this would be a tough decision. Grizzly all the way!

Precisionshooter
06-27-2014, 08:30 AM
2014 xt-p outlander 800r.......

CanuckShooter
06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Which quad would you choose for trail riding mudding hunting and ice fishing.

Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated

I have heard some of the bigger machines can really go through the fuel?? If that is a consideration.

Sledder1
06-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Out of your 2 options, for trail riding, hunting and ice fishing I would say grizzly but you added mudding in there so canam would be my suggestion.

Precisionshooter
07-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Having read some of the posts, thank goodness the engineers add a large safety factor. Overloading these machines isn't hard and doing that cuts into the service life of the machine. Nothing is free even though some of us seem to think so.

rayf01
07-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a 2011 can am 650xt, never skipped a beat. I added 26" zillia tires, a stealth snorkel from CanAm and I built some spacers for the front to bring the front end up even with the back.

650 does have more power than a yammer 700 and also more than the mud pro.

Ride on the Canam is definitely nicer than the other machines. Canams do run warm so you need to keep that rad clean. Starts great in the cold.

I still however get the feeling the grizzly would cost less in maintenance in the long run and have less chance of breaking down. The canam doesn't feel cheap in anyway, it just has more tech it feels like which could lead to the opportunity for more problems.