PDA

View Full Version : No fishing license required for the long weekend!

Crackmacs
05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
EDMONTON – Due to an overwhelmingly high number of requests for fishing licences in Alberta, the government is allowing residents to fish for free this May long weekend.

From May 16 to 19, Albertans will able to cast a line into any lake or river without purchasing a fishing licence.

The move to offer the free fishing weekend comes after Alberta’s online licensing system was unable to keep up with the high volume of requests on Friday.

“I know that the long weekend has gotten off to a frustrating start for many anglers in Alberta,” said Robin Campbell, Minister of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development.

“I would personally rather be fishing than standing in a line up or on my computer. That’s why we are going to waive the need for a licence this weekend and let people just start enjoying the outdoors.”

While licences are not required this weekend, the province says all other fishing regulations will be enforced.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1337759/albertans-can-fish-for-free-this-may-long-weekend/?utm_source=Other&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

rafhone
05-17-2014, 12:03 AM
I heard about this from a friend and figured he was wrong. I stand corrected. Perfect time to take a friend out to introduce him/her to the the great sport of angling.

waterninja
05-17-2014, 08:07 AM
you also cannot get your walleye tags but not to worry system will be fixed in early may.

bullgetter
05-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Pathetic new license system thanks to our pathetic government!

-JR-
05-17-2014, 08:45 AM
So can a guy buy big game licence for spring bear hunting,or is that system shut down also ?

kritofr
05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
So can a guy buy big game licence for spring bear hunting,or is that system shut down also ?

It is the same provider, same system.

Phone 1-888-944-5494 and talk to someone at the help desk if you need your bear tags

Northern Yaker
05-17-2014, 04:55 PM
I bought my walleye tags last night at @ 10pm so this is very confusing. Also free fishing weekend is in July I thought?? So is there still one then or was this it for the year now??

Speckle55
05-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Good call on the Minister on a free weekend of fishing for Albertans
because of a computer glich

on the other 2 free fishing days that is still on

Family Day and Fishing week weekend

http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/FamilyFishingWeekends.aspx

David:)

I bought my walleye tags last night at @ 10pm so this is very confusing. Also free fishing weekend is in July I thought?? So is there still one then or was this it for the year now??

tight line
05-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Not to mention glitches all spring! And to think.. I Went fishing for one day without a licence April 3rd after trying to get one on multiple days and online as well..the nerve...lol.