PDA

View Full Version : Walleye In Wab

Penner
05-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Thought this story was pretty cool...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Fornicatorium+showcases+subtle+walleye+love+Albert a+lake/9850426/story.html

Northern Yaker
05-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Another waste of time and money, they should put them into lakes that will sustain a walleye population. This attempt is sure to fail just like the last major attempt and for the same reasons it didn't work 30yrs ago.
The province going for a 3 strike rule? Alberta we probably have to get it wrong several more times before someone actuall goes...Hmmm this isn't going to work...

And I realize they appear to be taking hold, that's what happened before too... Then blamo no more walleye...

ETOWNCANUCK
05-17-2014, 11:45 PM
I see nothing wrong with attempting to restock depleted walleye populations.
Regardless of what lake they use, if the lake held them at one time they can do it again.

If at first you don't succeed try try again...

Gabriel S.
05-17-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't see how can you sustain any fish with no lake vegetation.

YeeHaw
05-18-2014, 07:10 AM
I don't see how can you sustain any fish with no lake vegetation.

No vegetation in Wab!!!!! How ya figure?

Penner
05-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Another waste of time and money, they should put them into lakes that will sustain a walleye population. This attempt is sure to fail just like the last major attempt and for the same reasons it didn't work 30yrs ago.
The province going for a 3 strike rule? Alberta we probably have to get it wrong several more times before someone actuall goes...Hmmm this isn't going to work...

And I realize they appear to be taking hold, that's what happened before too... Then blamo no more walleye...

Have a hate for anything SRD tries eh?

-JR-
05-18-2014, 08:09 AM
This is great news to me.
We should be all saying thanks for these guys doing something to improve fishing at Wabaman and other lakes.

Just need the government to increase the number of boat launches around some of the local lakes and start handing out fines to these high speed boater around fishermen that do not have boat numbers on them so we can at least call it in .

JohninAB
05-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Complain much?

waterninja
05-18-2014, 08:16 AM
don't really know what the success rate would be for walleye fry once they hatch in wab. as there are so many hungry pike in that lake, but i guess it would be the same as any other species (including pike fry) that happens naturally.
i have been invited to participate in a catch and release of mature walleye from lac.st.anne to wab. later this spring/summer. i think that mature walleye caught in anne and released in wab. would have a much better chance to grow into some trophy size fish.
wab. is already the go to spot near edm. for trophy pike and someday i can see new record walleye being caught in wab.
wish i could put some kind of tag on the ones i catch to be released in wab, so that 10 years down the road some lucky devil who cathes a 36" 12 lbs. wallie would know that i put it there. lol

-JR-
05-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Been catching the odd walleye at Wab.
They seem to be doing really well over the years ,very fat little Bigs

bobalong
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
don't really know what the success rate would be for walleye fry once they hatch in wab. as there are so many hungry pike in that lake, but i guess it would be the same as any other species (including pike fry) that happens naturally.
i have been invited to participate in a catch and release of mature walleye from lac.st.anne to wab. later this spring/summer. i think that mature walleye caught in anne and released in wab. would have a much better chance to grow into some trophy size fish.
wab. is already the go to spot near edm. for trophy pike and someday i can see new record walleye being caught in wab.
wish i could put some kind of tag on the ones i catch to be released in wab, so that 10 years down the road some lucky devil who cathes a 36" 12 lbs. wallie would know that i put it there. lol

Success is usually in the 3-5% range, if all conditions are ideal. Conditions for walleye can be somewhat critical, and if conditions and a good food source are not available, for the fry, the majority of a whole year class can be lost.

You will see this in a lot of our natural producing lakes, when walleye grow to catchable sizes. You may catch a bunch of 15-17in fish, then none or very few from 18-20in (lost year class) then a good population of 20-22in etc.

Jamie Black R/T
05-18-2014, 09:53 AM
no vegetation in wab!!!!! How ya figure?

x2

???

BGSH
05-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Walleye in Wabamun are doing great Vigsy is catching lots this weekend, landed over a 28 inch walleye as well.

Gabriel S.
05-18-2014, 06:28 PM
I had a camera on wab and I haven't seen any vegetation.
But this is my opinion. I believe you need vegetation in any lake environment

Geezle
05-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Did you look in more than one area of the lake? :confused:

It's not a matter of opinion...There's lots of vegitation in there!

BGSH
05-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Don't worry there is vegetation in wabamun lake :)

perchie15
05-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Wow thats pretty cool!!

perchie15
05-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Don't worry there is vegetation in wabamun lake :)

YEah what the fishing god shawn said haha

In the winter there i caught lot of seaweed :( lol lots of vegetation for sure!!

EZM
05-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Sorry to be the fifth person, who fishes Wabamun quite a bit that you are wrong. Wabamun is a lake which is relatively rich in nutrients and has plenty of vegetation.

Having said that, I'm curious how you equate the amount of vegitation to the lakes ability to sustain a healthy walleye population.

Based on what I learnt in skewl - that is a factor, however, it's certainly not a primary driver in walleye sustainability.

Either way, it's irrelevant to your opinion, because it is wrong. Wab has weeds. Lots of them.

Graffy91
05-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Sorry to be the fifth person, who fishes Wabamun quite a bit that you are wrong. Wabamun is a lake which is relatively rich in nutrients and has plenty of vegetation.

Having said that, I'm curious how you equate the amount of vegitation to the lakes ability to sustain a healthy walleye population.

Based on what I learnt in skewl - that is a factor, however, it's certainly not a primary driver in walleye sustainability.

Either way, it's irrelevant to your opinion, because it is wrong. Wab has weeds. Lots of them.

Wabamun has tons of weeds, like you said. But structure wise, from what I know about walleye, there isn't the typical areas that hold walleye that you would find in normal lakes per say.

Wabamun is a unreal pike lake, due to the vegetation, food abundance, 0 keep limit. Walleye usually adapt to rocky drop offs, submerged structure, trees all that. Not weeds. Pike like weeds.

If there is any lake within Alberta that has no vegetation, it is Pigeon Lake.