PDA

View Full Version : RCMP checking registration

Lund rebel
05-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Seeing it is a law I would assume most people already carry it with them but would throw it up for a reminder. The RCMP were out at the park and on the lake today checking for boat registration and I presume for liquor. I had all my documentation in place but a few others didn't at the launch they were being good about reminding it was a 250 dollar ticket as well for not complying . Not sure how old 2h is but they seemed to be targeting the people who's reg numbers were still the 2h numbers first.

VanIsleGuy
05-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Got stopped at Wab and they dumped out all of my alcohol. Told them I sent in my registrstion forms and they were on their way.

RavYak
05-17-2014, 09:05 PM
You are supposed to carry registration paper with you??? I thought registration number on boat was good enough.

257wbyhunter
05-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Here is a question for all you educated folk i bought a boat about 10 years ago at a garage sale never filled out a bill of sale or anything it was a give him the cash he gives me the boat. it was registered by the previous owner. i never really knew anything about the whole registration thing back then but now since there starting to crack down on it i figured that i better get it done well turnes out the old boy i bought it from went on to greener pastures if you know what i mean so now what dont have a bill of sale or the previous registration. i have never been asked for it since i have had the boat. so do i just carry on and take my chances or does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

RavYak
05-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Here is a question for all you educated folk i bought a boat about 10 years ago at a garage sale never filled out a bill of sale or anything it was a give him the cash he gives me the boat. it was registered by the previous owner. i never really knew anything about the whole registration thing back then but now since there starting to crack down on it i figured that i better get it done well turnes out the old boy i bought it from went on to greener pastures if you know what i mean so now what dont have a bill of sale or the previous registration. i have never been asked for it since i have had the boat. so do i just carry on and take my chances or does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

There should be a form somewhere that you fill out and get signed by a notary saying that you swear that you own it, that is what you will need to do if you don't have bill of sale.

Just contact transport Canada and they should be able to send you form or tell you where to get it.

lolanr
05-17-2014, 09:26 PM
I was checked on Chin today. First time in 18 years of fishing that I have been stopped on the water. They gave me a warning for no registration. I always thought the numbers were good as well. Good thing I kept all the paperwork from my boat purchase 4 years ago. I also got a warning for no boarding ladder. I asked what the point of a boarding ladder was if you didn't have a permanent mounted one, he said get a fold up one and keep it in the cockpit i said if I fall out I can't reach it so what's the point?

Winch101
05-17-2014, 09:58 PM
How big a boat do you have .ill check my regs ,ladders are lenght related.

Sorry it is related to the free board measurement.....from the water
Line to the gunnel must be half a meter , 20 inches .

silvercloud
05-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I had looked into this when I bought my most recent. 6m or longer (so just a shade under 20') requires a "reboarding device" :confused: but only if the freeboard is over 20". I haven't had mine in the water yet to take a measurement-the maiden voyage will be taken with a tape measure to check it out, if it's higher, I'll buy a telescoping one from Princess and throw it in a storage compartment to keep the powers-that-be happy, even though I will be the sole occupant 95% of the time.....

Jason

RavYak
05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
If you are sole occupant you might want to put on a permanent one or at the least see if you are able to get back into boat without one.

Smokey
05-17-2014, 10:25 PM

I bought a new Lund, never put those stupid numbers on the boat, got co's checking all the time, never said boo to me. Then I sold it. My father in law bought a boat and he asked me about registering boats and I was like, I dunno, I just insured mine, and parked it in the garage so it was never stolen. Dumn now that I think bout it.

silvercloud
05-17-2014, 10:57 PM
I don't plan on putting a ladder on my boat or jumping in the water and wasting a perfectly good MIT inflation charge to see if I can get back on it. If my freeboard is 20"+, I'll throw one in to be in compliance. If it's 19.5", I'll probably buy one and put it in to keep from having the hassle if and when I get stopped and asked about it instead of fighting the unwinnable fight. IMO, those who are out enforcing this on fishing boats,and for that matter, the registration are just out looking for easy pickings. Go work over the guys drinking and acting like jerks if you really want to make the water safer. IMO anyways.

Jason

YeeHaw
05-18-2014, 09:14 AM

This is the wrong way around that, but it works. I bought my boat three years ago and lost my bill of sale, had no way to contact the previous owner, and needed to get it regestered, so I "sold" the boat to my buddy, and got him to "sell" it back to me. I now have a bill of sale, and regestration papers in my boat. Perfectly legal if you write him a bill of sale, and he gives you one back.

BlackHeart
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
The next level in keeping us all safe :sick::sick::sick:

Speeding must be down, transition zones tickets drying up....gotta find the next level of useless laws to enforce. Wait for the next big ticket for safety trend......will it be cracked windshields or Having a ball hitch on without towing or for having your last years exp. pink card in your car (got a warning that i could be ticketed for that one)?

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Speeding must be down, transition zones tickets drying up....gotta find the next level of useless laws to enforce. Wait for the next big ticket for safety trend......will it be cracked windshields or Having a ball hitch on without towing or for having your last years exp. pink card in your car (got a warning that i could be ticketed for that one)?

So next to nothing to add to a boating enforcement thread.
I think one will find its a early season blitz on boating safety. we should applaud the enforcement of our waters, im pleased with any attempt to keep the flat land navy in check.

TROLLER
05-18-2014, 11:18 AM
When I registered my boat 12 yrs back I was told to keep the reg. in the boat.

All this conversation just got me going out to make sure I still had it. Lucky I found it in the dark corner of the glove box.

I also have a photo copy in the house just in case. BTW was told quite some time ago that a photo copy is not good enough for the cops when they are checking.

Ken07AOVette
05-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I think one will find its a early season blitz on boating safety. we should applaud the enforcement of our waters, im pleased with any attempt to keep the flat land navy in check.

I agree. May save lives.

oilngas
05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Lund Rebel; thanks for the heads up, I did not transfer registration when I bought the old tinner, just downloaded the form and it will b in the mail soonish.

Thanks again

AdverseCity
05-18-2014, 01:33 PM

I just went through this, here's the form you need and the one for getting a VIN on a homebuilt trailer just in case.

Declaration of Bill of Sale Form - without proof of ownership (http://ohs.uvic.ca/research_safety/DeclarationofBillofSale.pdf)

Application for an assigned VIN - Homebuilt/without a VIN trailers (http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/documents/Alta-VIN-Program-Registration.pdf)

Mistagin
05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
After I bought my fishing boat a decade ago the first thing I did was send in the registration. Wouldn't you know it - the first time out I got checked. I had all my safety equipment (I'm always 'overkill' on that stuff) for which the officers commended me. Then I was asked if I knew what was missing, and I replied, "Yup, registration numbers and document. They are in the mail." Then I showed the bill of sale from the day previously. He laughed and said okay. A few weeks later I was out again with sparkling new numbers on the boat. The same officers came by, recognized me, saw the numbers on the hull and just waved as they motored on by. I've never been checked again.

Now, a little story on the law, required equipment, and the sometimes foolishness of it all.

A good number of years ago, back when I was heavy into Hobie Cat sailing/racing, my uncle and I got 'pulled over' and checked for safety gear. We had our paddles, life jackets, sound signaling devise, everything but a bailing device.
Now, that kind of boat has 2 sealed hulls and a trampoline between them that the crew sits on. Water runs across and through the trampoline all the time. There is absolutely nothing to bail. The cop really reamed us out for not having a bailing device and nicely gave us a chance to get one and said that if he saw us again without one we'd get ticketed.

So off we went, back to shore, and found an empty Coke can and tied it to the front crossbar. Then we went back out looking for the police boat. We found him and showed him that we had a 'bailing can'. He was not impressed but it passed the test - ha, ha. After that every boat in our club fleet sported a pop can tied to the crossbar as a legitimate 'bailing device'.

Moral of the story: sometimes the 'letter of the law' is just foolish, but its better to abide by it anyway.

Winch101
05-18-2014, 02:04 PM
It either 1or2litres for a bailing device .....pop can won't wash

Some light reading

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/Transport_Canada_Safe_Boating_Guide_Web.pdf

connexion123
05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I agree. May save lives.

So might the long gun registry.

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 03:08 PM
So might the long gun registry.

Kind of daft Comment. how is policing safely gear and documentation at a public launch a bad thing . :thinking-006: I would like a larger presence on our waters .

Mistagin
05-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Some light reading

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/Transport_Canada_Safe_Boating_Guide_Web.pdf

I know, believe me I know :). I'm a 'stickler' for such detail especially when it comes to safety and normally following the ascribed 'letter of the law'.

I think what caused the police to look with fresh eyes of common sense at our pop can bailing devise was my uncle's rather forcefully expressed challenge to give us a ticket and we'd see him in court with 'exhibit A' - our boat - and let him explain to the judge the foolishness of the law and lack of legal common sense in that law IN SUCH A CASE OF A BOAT LIKE THAT WHERE THERE IS NOTHING TO BAIL :sHa_sarcasticlol:.

It didn't help that the officer operating that boat approached us from the windward side after coming across our bow while we were making headway with significant speed under sail - this cutting us off illegally - note: we were operating a sailing vessel with right of way - and then we had to fend him off from crashing into us while trying to keep our boat under control in significant waves and strong winds - which in a boat like a Hobie Cat is not easy because they do not 'heave to' very easily in wind and waves - those boats just want to go! He should have approached us from downwind and astern and stayed just behind us for the duration of the 'conversation'.

Ohhh - look at that - my post 1000 :sHa_shakeshout:

newguy
05-18-2014, 06:42 PM
When We bought our first boat last year, I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the registration from the govt. easy and free. When I sold it, same thing. Easy and free. We bought a boat from a dealer in bc and brought it back to ab, again it was easy and free.

In my short boating experience it amazes me how many people don't have there boater safety or registration and insurance in place.

BlackHeart
05-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Kind of daft Comment. how is policing safely gear and documentation at a public launch a bad thing . :thinking-006: I would like a larger presence on our waters .

Of course you would. Just like your other anti gun sentiments. But like any concept that most liberals have a hard time following.....registration doesn't make anything safer.....but that's hard for you to fathom.

"Sorry billy, we can't go fishing. I don't have my boat paperwork filed with the govt and that puts us in grave danger." Moronic thinking.

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Of course you would. Just like your other anti gun sentiments. But like any concept that most liberals have a hard time following.....registration doesn't make anything safer.....but that's hard for you to fathom.

"Sorry billy, we can't go fishing. I don't have my boat paperwork filed with the govt and that puts us in grave danger." Moronic thinking.

No one states registration is a safety issue , nice try though .:sHa_sarcasticlol: registration is a requirement of using a navigable waterway in a powered vessel. Just like well ... every other powered craft . Cars, aircraft atv's fairly simple if you can afford to buy a boat getting registered is of little concern . The guy with next to no experience gets it .
Having a plate , or registration # is for the most part for the owners benefit. Ya thats a political bias ...in your world.

Geezle
05-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Why register your vehicle for that matter...doesn't make anything any safer...right?

Bigdad013
05-18-2014, 07:42 PM

Some light reading

From what I read 750 mils, not nitpicking, you provided the link so I figured you must have read it, but it seemed off to me.

harrydude
05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Were they checking operating cards?

elkhunter11
05-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I much prefer that the RCMP is checking boat registrations than breaking into homes, and stealing firearms, like they were last year around this time.:)

Full Curl
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I just went through this, here's the form you need and the one for getting a VIN on a homebuilt trailer just in case.

Declaration of Bill of Sale Form - without proof of ownership (http://ohs.uvic.ca/research_safety/DeclarationofBillofSale.pdf)

Application for an assigned VIN - Homebuilt/without a VIN trailers (http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/documents/Alta-VIN-Program-Registration.pdf)

When I read the Bill Of Sale link it seems to apply to a "Commercial" vessel, not a "Pleasure" vessel.
Is there another form?

Full Curl
05-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Found it.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/84-0172E_1308-08_E.pdf

And this.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/declaration-eng.pdf

Lund rebel
05-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Were they checking operating cards?

Not this time but have been asked for it a few times out, I keep it in a waterproof case attached to the boat keys

silvercloud
05-18-2014, 10:37 PM

If they want to keep the "flat land navy" in check, show a presence on the water in recreational areas where you might actually have a chance to deter drinking and boating or operating your boat like a tool, instead of hanging out at the launches looking for easy pickings. I was in a boat dealer in Edmonton last month buying parts for my hole in the water :) and heard a salesman working on a couple of early '20s guys looking at a used pontoon telling them that seeing as it had an onboard bathroom they could legally drink when anchored......doesn't that inspire a pile of confidence in your fellow boaters? Chase this, not Joe Average who's missing registration papers..or a "reboarding device". I don't have a problem with them checking me on the water-I will carry what the law requires me to have for safety gear, I stay within the fishing rules, and I save my drinking for after the boat is docked. I operate my boat like an adult-until this year, I've run a 14' Lund cartopper with a 15 horse Johnson-how could I not? :sHa_sarcasticlol: It's no different than the post previous to this where having expired registration or pink cards warranted a warning (and yes, I have heard of this before as well). Cash grab, pure and simple.

Jason

moosehead7
05-18-2014, 10:45 PM
❌2 nicely said!!!! They'd never trouble them selves to go shut down the pot smoking kids around the cenitaff where our vets faught and died for so we could live in freedom but well sure watch with a radar gun for people speeding in a school zone 10tyards away from the pot heads, and this boating stuff is no different

RavYak
05-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Cash grab, pure and simple.

Jason

I am sorry but your reply makes no sense what so ever and is biased bigotry.

If it was a cash grab pure and simple they would have been handing out tickets, not warnings...

It is called a friendly reminder at the beginning of the season to make sure people are following the law, good on them for doing so...

moosehead7
05-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I am sorry but your reply makes no sense what so ever and is biased bigotry.

If it was a cash grab pure and simple they would have been handing out tickets, not warnings...

It is called a friendly reminder at the beginning of the season to make sure people are following the law, good on them for doing so...

No it's called just easy pickings plain and simple, standing at the boat launch can't get much easier than that

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 10:50 PM
❌2 nicely said!!!! They'd never trouble them selves to go shut down the pot smoking kids around the cenitaff where our vets faught and died for so we could live in freedom but well sure watch with a radar gun for people speeding in a school zone 10tyards away from the pot heads, and this boating stuff is no different

Smoking pot is not illegal. Possesion in small quantities is basicly ignored. Like going 7k over the speed limit:)

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 10:52 PM
No it's called just easy pickings plain and simple, standing at the boat launch can't get much easier than that

What they should swim out to boats for a challenge lol get real its cost effective and prevention to check boats BEFORE there on the water without proper safety gear. Lol .

skidderman
05-18-2014, 11:09 PM
I was checked on Chin today. First time in 18 years of fishing that I have been stopped on the water. They gave me a warning for no registration. I always thought the numbers were good as well. Good thing I kept all the paperwork from my boat purchase 4 years ago. I also got a warning for no boarding ladder. I asked what the point of a boarding ladder was if you didn't have a permanent mounted one, he said get a fold up one and keep it in the cockpit i said if I fall out I can't reach it so what's the point?

When since is a boat ladder required by law? First I heard of it. As for registering very easy and free.

silvercloud
05-18-2014, 11:10 PM
How does the bigotry card even come into play here? From Wikipedia, as a quote: "Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person's ethnicity, evaluative orientation, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics." So where exactly did I run afoul of this?

As for the biased part, well....how many lives can you save by asking someone for their boat registration? Probably approximately 0. How many lives can you save by getting out on the water and looking for aggressive operators, impaired operators, or, at the risk of sounding bigoted :rolleyes: , just plain stupid operators? More than 1? Can we at least agree it's more than the first option stated? So am I biased for stating publicly that they should focus their attention on items that might actually save somebody's life than trying to enforce an arbitrary rule that won't do anything other than make them feel special and potentially generate some revenue?

I'm assuming this is coming at me for blowing you off last night over the "reboarding device" post. IMO (so take it as you will) it's an arbitrary line...it has its place on a big boat, not so much on a fishing boat. If you don't wear a PFD (which I do faithfully as I can't swim a lick), the chances of you being able to get back to the boat are random ranging from semi-decent to impossible depending on the water temperature, getting run down by the boat itself, or the circumstances of going overboard (I don't care how well you can swim, if you knock yourself out going over, you're all done, right?). It's the same rules as I use at work-educate yourself, wear your safety gear, operate your equipment respectfully and don't get in over your head. You can't control every eventuality out there-if you try, you'll tip over pretty quick. Control what you can and be aware that there are things that you can't control. Where I start to get upset, and you may have noticed :) is getting my knuckles rapped over something relatively minor in the big scheme of things....you wouldn't drive past a skyscraper on fire to hand someone a fine for a campfire, would you?

Jason

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 11:18 PM
How does the bigotry card even come into play here? From Wikipedia, as a quote: "Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person's ethnicity, evaluative orientation, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics." So where exactly did I run afoul of this?

As for the biased part, well....how many lives can you save by asking someone for their boat registration? Probably approximately 0. How many lives can you save by getting out on the water and looking for aggressive operators, impaired operators, or, at the risk of sounding bigoted :rolleyes: , just plain stupid operators? More than 1? Can we at least agree it's more than the first option stated? So am I biased for stating publicly that they should focus their attention on items that might actually save somebody's life than trying to enforce an arbitrary rule that won't do anything other than make them feel special and potentially generate some revenue?

I'm assuming this is coming at me for blowing you off last night over the "reboarding device" post. IMO (so take it as you will) it's an arbitrary line...it has its place on a big boat, not so much on a fishing boat. If you don't wear a PFD (which I do faithfully as I can't swim a lick), the chances of you being able to get back to the boat are random ranging from semi-decent to impossible depending on the water temperature, getting run down by the boat itself, or the circumstances of going overboard (I don't care how well you can swim, if you knock yourself out going over, you're all done, right?). It's the same rules as I use at work-educate yourself, wear your safety gear, operate your equipment respectfully and don't get in over your head. You can't control every eventuality out there-if you try, you'll tip over pretty quick. Control what you can and be aware that there are things that you can't control. Where I start to get upset, and you may have noticed :) is getting my knuckles rapped over something relatively minor in the big scheme of things....you wouldn't drive past a skyscraper on fire to hand someone a fine for a campfire, would you?

Jason
Read th Op then get back to us....that'd be grreat.

RavYak
05-18-2014, 11:20 PM

Jason

You showed an obvious "distrust or hatred" of the RCMP doing their job... They were giving warnings not hammering people with stupid tickets. Wording wasn't the best it is just what popped into my head for some reason...

To be honest I didn't even know it was you that commented on the reboarding post... My reply was simply because your comment here was unwarranted. The RCMP take a lot of flack and sometimes rightfully so but not in this situation. There are lots of people that buy boats etc and don't even realize what the laws actually are, that is why the RCMP is out giving friendly warnings so that people hopefully don't have to be ticketed this summer.

As for your reboarding thing that is another thread but in short, lets say you aren't wearing your life jacket and for whatever reason you fall in. You and in particular your family would be quite unhappy that you didn't spend a couple bucks on making your boat legal by adding a reboarding device. As I already stated the RCMP were nice enough to give a warning that the boat needs a reboarding device, my recommendation is to get one not only because it is the law but because it could save your life...

Good night, I have to get some rest so I can go fishing tomorrow...

RavYak
05-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Smoking pot is not illegal. Possesion in small quantities is basicly ignored. Like going 7k over the speed limit:)

Both examples are still illegal, they just aren't enforced...

What pickings??? They were giving warnings not tickets...

Guys learn how to read...

moosehead7
05-18-2014, 11:27 PM
What they should swim out to boats for a challenge lol get real its cost effective and prevention to check boats BEFORE there on the water without proper safety gear. Lol .

You sound like a expert on everything you must be proud, all
I'm saying is actually put some effort in and stop the ones that are driving in their boats with the big wakeboard boats pulling tubes drinking and not so much bother the guy with a few fishing rods and a missing piece of paper!! Who's gonna be more dangerous!?!

silvercloud
05-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Seeing it is a law I would assume most people already carry it with them but would throw it up for a reminder. The RCMP were out at the park and on the lake today checking for boat registration and I presume for liquor. I had all my documentation in place but a few others didn't at the launch they were being good about reminding it was a 250 dollar ticket as well for not complying . Not sure how old 2h is but they seemed to be targeting the people who's reg numbers were still the 2h numbers first.

This is the original post, I did read it before I posted-I bolded what caught my eye. I stand by what I have been saying all along-get on the water, check for the relevant safety gear, whack the losers (I would really like to fill this in with my real thoughts but I'll leave them to me) that are a danger to everyone else on the water. I will comply with the rules, however stupid I may think they are. :scared: My thoughts are that there are more important rules to enforce other than boat registration, and the OP's example sure looks to me like trolling for easy pickings instead of truly trying to enforce safety regulations. IMO :scared0018: , if you want to truly make a difference, do a safety check at the ramp for required equipment instead of just checking registration. We can fight over this for the foreseeable future, but what's it going to change? I am dunking my new-to-me boat tomorrow. I have all my gear and a current registration in addition to my PCOC, and I will be loading a "reboarding device" to carry me through until I measure the freeboard to determine if it's required or not. PM me for GPS coordinates if you want to do a safety check.....I'm going fishing. I think we're all half berserk from the winter that won't quit.....

Jason

naomiC
05-18-2014, 11:43 PM
does the registration include inflatables?

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 11:45 PM
You sound like a expert on everything you must be proud, all
I'm saying is actually put some effort in and stop the ones that are driving in their boats with the big wakeboard boats pulling tubes drinking and not so much bother the guy with a few fishing rods and a missing piece of paper!! Who's gonna be more dangerous!?!

Where do you suggest the best place to catch these guys is .... read the op . Sorry i've been on the water since ive can remember. Any effort to stop the FLN I applaud.

AdverseCity
05-18-2014, 11:52 PM
When I read the Bill Of Sale link it seems to apply to a "Commercial" vessel, not a "Pleasure" vessel.
Is there another form?

Found it.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/84-0172E_1308-08_E.pdf

And this.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/declaration-eng.pdf

Oops, I missed that part of the title. Thanks, guess I have another form to print and fill out.

fish gunner
05-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Uhh this→→→. The RCMP were out at the park and on the lake today checking for boat registration and I presume for liquor. ←←← kind of covers it . Doing a good bang up job. Bravo.

Habfan
05-19-2014, 07:41 AM
My buddy had a girlfriend that liked to go tubing when we weren't fishing but had trouble getting back in the boat. I tied a piece of rope with a loop in it about 6' long to one of the side cleats and she would step in the loop and basically step into the boat ! Worked great, I wonder if that would be classified as a boarding device ? I leave it on in case I fall in alone, then just reach up and pull rope into the water.

JohninAB
05-19-2014, 08:26 AM
My buddy had a girlfriend that liked to go tubing when we weren't fishing but had trouble getting back in the boat. I tied a piece of rope with a loop in it about 6' long to one of the side cleats and she would step in the loop and basically step into the boat ! Worked great, I wonder if that would be classified as a boarding device ? I leave it on in case I fall in alone, then just reach up and pull rope into the water.

Good idea, going to do one up for my boat. I usually just step on the outboard fin and up into the boat.

lolanr
05-19-2014, 08:48 AM
I mentioned using the motor to climb in. I saw a video where guy did what you said then uses the trim button on the side to lift himself out of the water. Worked really slick. He said you can board that way but still need a ladder. When I asked what qualified for a ladder he held up one of those plastic ones you hang over the side and indicated it was the only option. I looked on line and can't find anything that defines what the ladder must be.

I like the rope idea mentioned above. I may give that a try.

Good idea, going to do one up for my boat. I usually just step on the outboard fin and up into the boat.

Shmag
05-19-2014, 08:54 AM
I have my boat registered, but have to admit I don't carry the paperwork proof on board with me.

One time I did get checked on the water top to bottom for all my safety equipment and fishing license and pleasurecraft card. All checked out good, and before he was leaving as a joke I said you don't want to see my registration. He laughed and said, that number is only used if we find the boat on the water with nobody in it...he said if that's the case there is always that 1 truck and trailer left at the launch at night.

I agree with lots of the comments, early in the season they are probably just raising awareness of what you should be carrying on board. And that can't be bad thing

Nova
05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I just have to wonder, if a person is actually required to carry the paperwork with you......why the heck can't they just say that? I've got mine sitting right in front of me, nowhere does it say to keep this paper in the boat. Looking at the government's boating guide and again, nothing about having the paperwork, only:

"By law, you must display your pleasure craft’s licence number above the water line on both sides of the bow, as far forward as practical and where it can easily be seen. The numbers must be in block letters, 7.5 cm (3”) in height and must contrast with the colour of your pleasure craft’s bow. "

Mistagin
05-19-2014, 12:16 PM
For those unsure / wondering about the 'letter of the law' regarding having the registration / boat license on board:

What is a Pleasure Craft Licence?
A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Note: this is not the 'Pleasure Craft Operator Card' that we also need to have and get from organization like 'BoatSmart!' (like the one I have from BoatSmartExam.com); it is the federal 'licence / registration' of the vessel - not the operator.

Willowtrail
05-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Just filling out a transfer for my new old boat today.

Just an FYI to those that don't know like me.

"Due to the recent changes in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, pleasure craft licences are now valid for 10 years. If there are no changes to your name or particulars of your vessel or address in that time, you must update your licence."

I thought they were a lifetime thing but not anymore, next thing you know our operator card will be a 5 year renewal for a fee just like the drivers licence.

cube
05-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Just filling out a transfer for my new old boat today.

Just an FYI to those that don't know like me.

"Due to the recent changes in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, pleasure craft licences are now valid for 10 years. If there are no changes to your name or particulars of your vessel or address in that time, you must update your licence."

I thought they were a lifetime thing but not anymore, next thing you know our operator card will be a 5 year renewal for a fee just like the drivers licence.

But at least when they brought that requirement in they made it free.

Ken07AOVette
05-22-2014, 09:53 AM

That is wrongful and misleading information. Possession of ANY amount of the drug is illegal.

I could google then copy and paste any of a hundred pages but so can every one else.

Outt and Aboutt
05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
As for carrying your license, it is required, but the Small Vessel Regulations state specifically that you must carry a 'copy' of the license. They do not stipulate you must carry the original itself. Some law enforcement officers might interpret that as they prefer, but I doubt any judge would find you guilty for carrying a photo 'copy' and not the original.

A reboarding device is not limited to a ladder. It can be a length of rope that can be tied at two locations along the gunnel and reaches the water for someone to step on. Climbing the motor is not considered a reboarding device because parts of the vessel's propulsion system are excluded as reboarding devices.

Below is from Transport Canada's web site, which includes pictures of a rope tied to two locations and draping into the water, and a rope hanging over the side with a couple of loops tied in it for foot/hand grabs, as acceptable reboarding devices.

When the freeboard exceeds 0.5 m (1’8”) you will need a reboarding device.

Freeboard is the vertical height a person must climb to reboard the boat from the water.

A “reboarding device” (defined in section 1 of the Small Vessel Regulations) means a ladder, lifting harness or other device that does not include any part of the vessel’s propulsion unit and that assists a person to gain access to the vessel from the water.

If your vessel has transom ladders or swim platform ladders it already meets this requirement.

And, from the Small Vessel Regulations:
“reboarding device” means a ladder, lifting harness or
other device that does not include any part of the vessel’s
propulsion unit and that assists a person to gain access
to the vessel from the water.

Hence, you don't need to spring for a ladder, just have a piece of dedicated rope at the ready and be able to demonstrate how it can be quickly fashioned as a reboarding device on your boat (i.e. know how you would use it, where it would be tied, that it is of appropriate length, etc).

D

Okotokian
05-22-2014, 01:53 PM

An officer using discretion to not charge you is not the same as the act not being illegal. Give the officer some serious backtalk and find out how fast you suddently get charged.

Kokanee9
07-07-2014, 09:19 PM
................. IMO, those who are out enforcing this on fishing boats,and for that matter, the registration are just out looking for easy pickings. Go work over the guys drinking and acting like jerks if you really want to make the water safer. IMO anyways.

Jason

......... But like any concept that most liberals have a hard time following.....registration doesn't make anything safer.....but that's hard for you to fathom.

I much prefer that the RCMP is checking boat registrations than breaking into homes, and stealing firearms, like they were last year around this time.:)

.................... It's no different than the post previous to this where having expired registration or pink cards warranted a warning (and yes, I have heard of this before as well). Cash grab, pure and simple.

Jason

I never really paid much attention to this thread before and finally got around to reading it.

I am amazed at the amount of negative comments regarding enforcement checking for boat registration.

Has nobody on this board ever had a boat stolen? Or even know somebody that has had one stolen? I think that anyone who has had a boat go missing would be grateful to hear that this is being done and probably wishes that it was done more often. Seems to me the perfect place to check for registration would be at the boat launch area in order to cover the max amount of boats.

packhuntr
07-08-2014, 09:41 AM
I also shocked reading this stuff . Typical of todays society, spoiled, selfish and marginal in most all aspects. How can people possibly be safe out there when they prove too lazy to educate and comply with simple boating requirements. Not talking about everyone having boat control courses, MED A3 and first aid here , but really , would we hear of and see all the stupidity on the water every year if people were required to have these training and tickets ? Comply with standards set in place , pony up the cash to be compliant , be big boys and quit complaining about these simple easy to abide rules and regs. Some people need to sit down and think about how stupid they sound.

huntsfurfish
07-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Well said, Kokanee9 and packhuntr!

NEWB
07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
I never really paid much attention to this thread before and finally got around to reading it.

I am amazed at the amount of negative comments regarding enforcement checking for boat registration.

Has nobody on this board ever had a boat stolen? Or even know somebody that has had one stolen? I think that anyone who has had a boat go missing would be grateful to hear that this is being done and probably wishes that it was done more often. Seems to me the perfect place to check for registration would be at the boat launch area in order to cover the max amount of boats.

When the officers check for registration are they also running the serial numbers of the motor too?

I have never had a boat stolen, but I have had a motor stolen. If one is checking registration they should be checking EVERYTHING. I have never been checked in my countless times on the water, however it would be of comfort to know the police are doing more than just a surface check on the hull registration. Otherwise it is an excercise in futility.

waterninja
07-08-2014, 10:48 AM
When I registered my boat 12 yrs back I was told to keep the reg. in the boat.

All this conversation just got me going out to make sure I still had it. Lucky I found it in the dark corner of the glove box.

I also have a photo copy in the house just in case. BTW was told quite some time ago that a photo copy is not good enough for the cops when they are checking.
not sure why a photocopy would not be good enough. i know all my vehicles have photocopies of registration and ins. in them and originals kept safe at home. i was told by a police officer to do this quite awhile ago when one of my vehicles were stolen. said it keeps car thieves from using those documents for other illegal activities.

Kokanee9
07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
When the officers check for registration are they also running the serial numbers of the motor too?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall supplying serial #'s on the motor on the boat registration.

Losing a motor would anger me also. Different types of locks are available to help prevent this from happening. My main motor is too heavy to carry away, but I still trailer the boat if I am not using it and remove anything light enough to be taken when I'm out camping.

sourdough doug
07-08-2014, 12:52 PM
So, I wonder what would be the chance of them finding a stolen boat, if they are just issuing warnings or are they doing a data base check on all the boats they check.
Would be nice to find who borrowed mine a while back and forgot where they got it from....:character0175:

Kokanee9
07-08-2014, 01:32 PM
So, I wonder what would be the chance of them finding a stolen boat, if they are just issuing warnings or are they doing a data base check on all the boats they check.
Would be nice to find who borrowed mine a while back and forgot where they got it from....:character0175:

That's a good question. I wonder if there was somewhere that a person could call to find out the answer.

At the beginning of the thread, it looks like it was some sort of a blitz that day covering several locations. I hope at least somebody had a boat recovered.

lannie
07-08-2014, 01:36 PM
For the last couple of weeks there has been a "boat check" on at the Burmis scales on hwy 3. Have not paid to much notice going by but I would think they are noting serial #'s etc.

NEWB
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall supplying serial #'s on the motor on the boat registration.

Losing a motor would anger me also. Different types of locks are available to help prevent this from happening. My main motor is too heavy to carry away, but I still trailer the boat if I am not using it and remove anything light enough to be taken when I'm out camping.

There is not any spot to put a motor serial number on the application.

It takes 2 seconds to look for the motor serial number and then a few seconds to run it through the system to see if it has been reported as stolen.

How many stolen boats have been found by random checks of just Hull Serial numbers.. Not many is my guess.

I am confident that anyone can run a stolen motor on a boat and never get caught if the LEO's are just checking Hull numbers and "registration" papers.

In my case my locks were cut same with the other preventative measures on it. Mind you I was only running a 9.9 on there. Now I have a 20.

If I ever run through a check I will ask the LEO if he checked the motor serial number when he is done. If not then it was a complete waste of my time and I will let him or her know that. If he or she did then I will think it was worth while and give them credit as they are thinking beyond the box...

Marsha
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I got checked ...
Photo copy of registration was fine
registration ok
Checked Hull ser # (had to unpack camping gear to see it)
and they checked both my engine serial number and jet leg number, apparently a few have been stolen lately.

Only problem was concern over the weight in the boat all the gas and camping gear..
Surprised them I had a weight and balance on it ...\
center slightly aft @ 1010 lbs Total weight allowed 1375..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Walleye101
07-08-2014, 06:04 PM
If they ticket you for not having stickers on your boat you can fight it in court and get your money back. If you follow the link below, you will see that owners of pleasure craft are not required by law to be registered but may do so on a voluntary basis. Print one off and keep it with your boat. I wipped out mine when I was about to get a ticket, and the RCMP officer was shell shocked that he wasted his time with me. I told him to go out and find some real criminals because I am not one, and follow the rules 100%.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm

Winch101
07-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Here's a simpler link , I'm very sure anything over 10 HP
Has to be registered .

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Walleye101
07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Thats for your boating license. Every pleasure craft over 10 HP must have a person on board with a license.

Kingfisher
07-08-2014, 07:22 PM
On a sort of related subject to boat registration.

2 years ago, I was going to fish by Kamloops and had headed out late in the evening to drive through the night and be there to fish with some buddies early in the morning. Anyway, when going through Salmon Arm in the wee hours of the morning (around 1am) I was pulled over by the RCMP. Not for speeding, not for any violation. It was because I was pulling my boat behind me. They said they had some thefts lately and were checking everyone pulling a boat. Especially traveling late at night. The only thing they checked for was my registration on my boat trailer, not the boat. Everything was kosher and away they went.

I had sent in my original application to get my boat registered and didn't send in a bill of sale. They sent it back to me and asked me to reapply. Haven't done it since. As someone else said it is a voluntary thing to register them. Not a requirement.

This is from the Transport Canada main page of their vessel registration site.
"Registration is a title system for ownership of vessels. It is similar in nature to title systems used for land registry. Registration allows for name approval, mortgage registration and proof of ownership except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Every vessel other than pleasure craft must be registered."

badger
07-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Every pleasure craft with motor over 10 hp needs a Pleasure Craft License:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

OR a Vessel Registration.

You must also have the numbers on the bow.

It is voluntary to Register a pleasure craft. Let's keep this straight.

The Pleasure Craft Operator Card is the proof of competency that most people are calling a "Boater's License".

kevinhits
07-08-2014, 08:31 PM
For the last couple of weeks there has been a "boat check" on at the Burmis scales on hwy 3. Have not paid to much notice going by but I would think they are noting serial #'s etc.

Esrd is setting up Boat checks at weight scales. We pulled in East of Medicine Hat and all they are checking for is invasive species on your motor and boat. It is not required but they are looking at getting it mandated to stop or you will get pulled over down the road...

These were set up everyday of the week for the past month or so...

Walleyedude
07-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Esrd is setting up Boat checks at weight scales. We pulled in East of Medicine Hat and all they are checking for is invasive species on your motor and boat. It is not required but they are looking at getting it mandated to stop or you will get pulled over down the road...

These were set up everyday of the week for the past month or so...

Yep.

I stopped in at the check stop on my way back from Sask on Sunday. Super nice folks with some good tips on preventing the spread of invasive species. It's something we should all be taking seriously and definitely well worth the stop and 25 mins of my time.

benamen
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM

I have never had a boat stolen, but I have had a motor stolen. If one is checking registration they should be checking EVERYTHING. I have never been checked in my countless times on the water, however it would be of comfort to know the police are doing more than just a surface check on the hull registration. Otherwise it is an excercise in futility.

The serial number sticker fell off my previous motor, a 60 HP Johnson.

gopher67
07-08-2014, 09:29 PM
A few weeks ago i was stopped at slave and they asked for the registration but they did not ask for my operator card

Marsha
07-09-2014, 07:55 AM
What is a Pleasure Craft Licence?

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

Hunter Trav
07-09-2014, 09:50 AM
If they ticket you for not having stickers on your boat you can fight it in court and get your money back. If you follow the link below, you will see that owners of pleasure craft are not required by law to be registered but may do so on a voluntary basis. Print one off and keep it with your boat. I wipped out mine when I was about to get a ticket, and the RCMP officer was shell shocked that he wasted his time with me. I told him to go out and find some real criminals because I am not one, and follow the rules 100%.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm

Just reading some more about this, and the "Vessel Registration" is voluntary, however it is not the same as the "Pleasure Craft License", which is the numbers on the front of the boat. Vessel Registration is used by ocean going vessels or a commercial vessel. This is a quote from the Q&A on the gov't webpage...

"What is the difference between a licence and registration?"
Pleasure craft licence

A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number - commonly referred to as the "licence number" - that an owner of a pleasure craft must display on the bow. This number helps law enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner. An owner must display the licence number on both sides of the bow of the pleasure craft, above the water line, in block characters not less than 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

The licence is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

NOTE: You do not need a pleasure craft licence if a boat is registered. For more information, read What types of pleasure craft do I need to license?

The pleasure craft licence is free of charge, and you can transfer it to any subsequent owner of the pleasure craft. You must carry a copy of the licence on board your vessel at all times. However, a licence is not a title document. You must also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

Registering your pleasure craft

The Canadian Register of Vessels is a title system that keeps track of the owners of vessels. It contains information on each vessel such as ownership and vessel characteristics, e.g. tonnage, construction material and type. When you register, you receive an official number for your vessel, as well as a unique name. It also provides certain benefits, such as the right to fly the Canadian flag.

If you intend to use your vessel as security for a marine mortgage, you are required to register your vessel.

Registration is optional for all pleasure craft, regardless of tonnage and length, as per the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.

There are costs associated with registering. However, the registration is good for as long as you own the vessel. You must carry registration documents on board the vessel at all times, together with any other ownership documents, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

Transport Canada provides this registration service. For frequently asked questions on registration, please visit the Vessel Registration Office Web site.

Registering your small commercial vessel:

In Canada, you must register commercial vessels of all sizes. This includes human-powered craft such as kayaks and white-water rafts used by guides for guided trips; but not lifeboats or other survival craft on board a larger ship, which are inspected as a part of the ship’s equipment. A pleasure craft licence is not acceptable for a commercial vessel. You should have your registration documents on board at all times.

If your vessel is no more than 15 gross tonnage, you may register it in either the Small Vessel Register or the Canadian Register of Vessels. If your vessel is more than 15 gross tonnage, or if you want to register a mortgage, you must register it in the Canadian Register of Vessels.

The Vessels Registry Fees Tariff allows for the registration of a "fleet of vessels", which means two or more vessels of less than 5 gross tonnage that are owned by the same person, other than a federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government, for a flat fee of $50.00 if the owner applies for all registrations/renewals at the same time.

Teamprotz
07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Just came from Greig Lake in Sask. was shocked to see so many USA numbers on Sask plated boats. Thats just one lake , obviously no one is checking here.

muzzy
07-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Good reply Hunter Trav clear and understandable You need to register and carry which is something I didnt know ( the carry the licence bit, I have the numbers on bow. Mind you I registered in 1982, and 11 moves and 5 provinces/territories ago. Not sure I even got a paper licence back then Anyhow just finished the paperwork to update and get a copy so I can carry in future

Mistagin
07-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Just renewed mine. Painless and quick, even though I was a year late!
That's because the boat remained stored all of last year and I wasn't aware the boat license had to be renewed. Now I'm good to go again :).

Who Da Fisherman
07-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Just renewed mine. Painless and quick, even though I was a year late!
That's because the boat remained stored all of last year and I wasn't aware the boat license had to be renewed. Now I'm good to go again :).

Cannot seem to find mine, how did you renew? I have not looked into the website yet.