PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Slam

RavYak
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
While down in Florida I found out that most of the saltwater areas in the states have what they call a slam which is when you catch 3 species of fish. Grand slams are usually based on the favourite sport fish of the area, for example a slam in Cape Coral Florida is a Redfish, Snook and Sea Trout. They also have various others slams such as a trash can slam which is a Catfish, Jack Crevalle and Ladyfish. I found the slam concept interesting so decided that today I would go after what I am calling an Alberta Slam which consists of a Northern Pike, Walleye and Rainbow Trout.

In total I caught 11 pike, 2 walleye and 4 trout including my new personal best trout at 22 3/4 inches. Here are the best of the bunch that completed my slam.

If anyone else wants to attempt a slam go ahead and make sure you get pictures!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5170002.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5170013.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5170033.jpg

Lund rebel
05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Nice I think I saw you at wab...

Did it as well today no pics tho

Pike, walleye, perch

Adwittoutdoors
05-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I like it !!! Great job and pics :)

RavYak
05-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Nice I think I saw you at wab...

Did it as well today no pics tho

Pike, walleye, perch

I was at Wab yesterday but in 3 hours didn't catch a thing... Decided to go to St. Anne where I caught 2 pike and 2 walleye... 4 fish in over 9 hours of fishing and 20 kms in the kayak...

Today was much better though as seen above.

Lund rebel
05-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I was at Wab yesterday but in 3 hours didn't catch a thing... Decided to go to St. Anne where I caught 2 pike and 2 walleye... 4 fish in over 9 hours of fishing and 20 kms in the kayak...

Today was much better though as seen above.

Saw you in the north west weed line
Ok so I am not the only one fished 3 days and only 17 fish at wab long days as well. Thought I forgot to fish, went to jackfish and it was the same caught one first cast then nothing for a couple hours. Maybe its early with the late spring :angry3:

RavYak
05-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Saw you in the north west weed line
Ok so I am not the only one fished 3 days and only 17 fish at wab long days as well. Thought I forgot to fish, went to jackfish and it was the same caught one first cast then nothing for a couple hours. Maybe its early with the late spring :angry3:

I think Wab and in particular where I was is just hard to fish this early in the season since there are no weeds there right now. I tried everywhere out there, the drop off, shallows, hump, old reeds, 8.5 kms of paddling at Wab and all for nothing...

jacenbeers
05-18-2014, 01:07 AM
I got a slam last Sunday out fishing with BeeGuy and aznRiceMan. I caught a whole bunch of walleye sand one rainbow and one pike. In some places you can have 5 or 6 or even 7 species days

Pikebreath
05-18-2014, 05:39 AM
The "ice fishing slam" would be pike, whitefish and burbot,,,, then throw in a perch to make it a "grand slam",,,, and then a walleye makes it a "super grand slam"!!!

waterninja
05-18-2014, 06:44 AM
congrats on your slam. i fish off a canoe at times and no how tough it can be esp. on a large lake like wab.

binnzer32
05-18-2014, 08:05 AM
The "ice fishing slam" would be pike, whitefish and burbot,,,, then throw in a perch to make it a "grand slam",,,, and then a walleye makes it a "super grand slam"!!!

Have done that one lots at gull lake. And pike, burbs, walleyes, perch at lac la biche

Rikkles Fisher
05-18-2014, 04:43 PM
I want to see someone do a grand slam on the North Saskatchewan River! Lol

EZM
05-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Wab is tough in the spring ...... not your typical pike hiding in the shallows like in other lakes in the spring. Try deeper. Trust me.

RavYak
05-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Wab is tough in the spring ...... not your typical pike hiding in the shallows like in other lakes in the spring. Try deeper. Trust me.

When there I quickly thought to myself that would be the case just didn't have the much to target them with other then maybe jigs. Will give it a bit and then nail it hard in the summer.

Crankbait
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM

haven't got to slam yet.
we're getting pike right now at 15 feet of water and usually have a great time catching them on cranks and spoons but theyre sluggish this year I guess because of the cold winter and long ice. a usual spot thats ten feet deep uusually does good but 15 seems to be the depth this spring.

BobLoblaw
05-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Nice! I sure do enjoy a good multi-species day. On my favorite creek I've had a few days with rainbows, cutts, browns, brookies & whitefish landed; I love those days!:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
05-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Nice! I sure do enjoy a good multi-species day. On my favorite creek I've had a few days with rainbows, cutts, browns, brookies & whitefish landed; I love those days!:sHa_shakeshout:

Salmonid quintuplet is awesome.

Always happy with a trout triumvirate.

gnugen
05-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Nice haul! Lac St. Anne is solid for multiple species days in the shallows of the 42nd Street area up to the islands.

THERICARDO
05-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Goal was 100 fish for weekend at Wab, thursday was tough as nails to fish bc of the weather... friday me and graffy tried a little deeper which didnt seem right but got into some fish and was able to put 32 in the boat... sat i tried deeper even and was like Wab of old for me, we caught a ton of fish ending with 43 for myself and 37 for buddy i was fishing with( first time ever fishing so he is literally hooked) Went against everything I have ever learnt and been taught about Spring Pike fishing... tons of vegatation close to shorelines and water temp was about 1-2 diff in 10-12 feet and where we had most success... SUnday was same thing as sat... finished with 127 fish and success overall!

nice to see so many of you out there, cpl kayaks and canoes also.... damn it got busy sat and sunday though...

binnzer32
05-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Any size? ?

Goal was 100 fish for weekend at Wab, thursday was tough as nails to fish bc of the weather... friday me and graffy tried a little deeper which didnt seem right but got into some fish and was able to put 32 in the boat... sat i tried deeper even and was like Wab of old for me, we caught a ton of fish ending with 43 for myself and 37 for buddy i was fishing with( first time ever fishing so he is literally hooked) Went against everything I have ever learnt and been taught about Spring Pike fishing... tons of vegatation close to shorelines and water temp was about 1-2 diff in 10-12 feet and where we had most success... SUnday was same thing as sat... finished with 127 fish and success overall!

nice to see so many of you out there, cpl kayaks and canoes also.... damn it got busy sat and sunday though...

THERICARDO
05-19-2014, 03:59 PM
caught 2 over 32 on Sat, other than that everything was small and agressive haha

binnzer32
05-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Right on, kept ya busy at least. ..

caught 2 over 32 on Sat, other than that everything was small and agressive haha

RavYak
05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Slamming again today. Caught 21 walleye, 3 pike and 2 trout. Best of the day below.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5190025.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5190054.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5190077.jpg

gnugen
06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
nice hat trick

cube
06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
I think it would be nice if fishing tournaments were also this way, at least on a trial basis.

It would better demonstrate the skills of the fishermen having to go after multiple species and at the same time take pressure off anyone species in the lake. It would even perhaps help on the political front as well as more focus might be placed on the fishery as a whole.

BassDude
06-06-2014, 10:01 AM
The Grandslam as i've known it is 4 species, in Manitoba: Lake Trout, Whitefish, Pike, Smallmouth bass (or whatever 4 species you can catch in a day in a given body of water), and in Saskatchewan on Reindeer Lake its Lake Trout, Arctic Grayling, Northern Pike and Walleye.

There is actually a place called Grand Slam Lodge on Reindeer lake that I fished in the 90's. What a great lake.

I had a lucky morning one time and hit all 4 species in George Lake Manitoba in about 90 minutes one spring day.

Fun stuff.

waterninja
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
out of curiosity rav where do you go to get your rainbow? i can see a slam at wab, or anne if you went pike, wallie and maybe perch or burbot. to get a rainbow you would have to go to a different lake.
if you hauled your yak (with all your fishing gear) down to east pit then i would be surprized. perhaps salter after anne?

waterninja
06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
I want to see someone do a grand slam on the North Saskatchewan River! Lol
what would you consider a slam on the nsr? not unussual to catch multiple species on any given day.
i have caught pike, walleye, white sucker, red horse sucker, gold eye, and burbot all on the same day. you can reasonably expect to catch at least 3-4 different species any day you fish the nsr.
still looking for my first sturgeon though. lol

Pierre
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
out of curiosity rav where do you go to get your rainbow? i.......to get a rainbow you would have to go to a different lake.
if you hauled your yak (with all your fishing gear) down to east pit then i would be surprized. perhaps salter after anne?

^x2

Northern Yaker
06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
It was Muir he got it at...

Rikkles Fisher
06-06-2014, 02:22 PM
what would you consider a slam on the nsr? not unussual to catch multiple species on any given day.
i have caught pike, walleye, white sucker, red horse sucker, gold eye, and burbot all on the same day. you can reasonably expect to catch at least 3-4 different species any day you fish the nsr.
still looking for my first sturgeon though. lol

Every species that can be in the NSR in one day mwahahaha, yeah man I know the awesome ways of the NSR lol I've only caught 4 sturgeon, one 50 incher and 3 babies lol

BeeGuy
06-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I got a trout trifecta on the Bow the other day.

Gonna be tough, but I think I can do 2 char and 2 trout maybe in the fall.

binnzer32
06-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I thought any type of slams were all supposed to be from the same body of water? No?:thinking-006:

RavYak
06-06-2014, 07:30 PM
out of curiosity rav where do you go to get your rainbow? i can see a slam at wab, or anne if you went pike, wallie and maybe perch or burbot. to get a rainbow you would have to go to a different lake.

If you are going to go after one of my "Alberta Slams" you almost for sure have to fish at least 2 lakes.

One day I went to St Anne then Muir the other day Pigeon then Muir.

Fish at Muir are a little trickier to catch but I prefer them because at least they have a little size compared to the new stockers you catch in most lakes.

binnzer32
06-06-2014, 08:04 PM
If you are going to go after one of my "Alberta Slams" you almost for sure have to fish at least 2 lakes.

One day I went to St Anne then Muir the other day Pigeon then Muir.

Fish at Muir are a little trickier to catch but I prefer them because at least they have a little size compared to the new stockers you catch in most lakes.

Yep those r decent trout your getting. I got a winter spot for them. ..

Bhflyfisher
06-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I thought any type of slams were all supposed to be from the same body of water? No?:thinking-006:

Good seeing you out there the other day!

binnzer32
06-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Good seeing you out there the other day!

You lost me...

RavYak
06-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Yep those r decent trout your getting. I got a winter spot for them. ..

Muir definitely has some decent fish but they can be tough to catch. I was averaging roughly 15 inches a fish but that was before they put the new stock in, probably will have to fight off some small ones to try and catch decent size right now.

I have been raking my brains trying to figure out your spot. I have a couple ideas but have never fished either of them.

RavYak
06-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Not an "Alberta" slam but a more impressive one in a way. These are from Saturday.

31" Pike

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P6210007.jpg

23.75" Walleye

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P6210013.jpg

11 3/4" Brook Trout (my first brook trout!)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P6210026.jpg

THERICARDO
06-23-2014, 08:42 AM

I did trust you as you posted same at beginning of season... Have been slamming them a little deeper for last couple weeks... thanks for Heads up EZM

RavYak
06-23-2014, 08:59 AM
I did trust you as you posted same at beginning of season... Have been slamming them a little deeper for last couple weeks... thanks for Heads up EZM

Pike were back in the shallows 3 weeks ago and probably even more so now.

RavYak
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Slammed it up again today, this time Saskatchewan style. Pike, walleye and perch. The pike was pretty pathetic though...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7020052.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7020087.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7020061.jpg

Yesterday I caught a nice pike at the same lake, 36.25 inches. It actually swallowed a small walleye I had hooked, you could just see the line going down into his stomach and the tips of the tail fins sticking out lol.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/LenorePike.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7010037.jpg