PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird GPS Maps

RavYak
05-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Ok maybe I am missing something but is Navionics the only way to be able to see maps on my GPS on my new 987c SI? When I used it yesterday the gps views only showed a blank space with my boat path. I figured it would show like a google maps type view and thought Navionics or Lakemaster was only for depth contours etc.

The Reel Deal
05-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Correct.
You will need to purchase a map like Navionics or lakemaster to get any detail. You can still mark waypoints and routes without a map though.

bobalong
05-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't bother with the Lakemaster maps, there is only about 6 bodies of water for Canada on it, and they are in Ontario.

The Navionics Hot Map Supreme has lots of Alberta lakes on it.
http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Humminbird has the Autochart and will be releasing the Autochart Pro soon (software updates for your unit). The SD card that comes with the Autochart will have the shoreline lines, only on it. This program will allow you to chart your own maps. You save your tracks to the SD card (included), plug them into your laptop/computer and the software will convert them to depth contour lines. The new Autochart Pro will have the added capability to distinguish hard and soft bottom, and the ability to overlay imaging pics (you save) over the contour lines for an enhanced view.

If you have a Minn-Kota motor with the I-link feature, you will be able to automatically track by specific depths. You can track by depth now with I-link, and the Autochart program but it is only compatible with the Lakemaster maps, not Navionics maps, and like mentioned before there are basically no Canadian maps available on Lakemaster.

If you fish in an area where water levels fluctuate quite a bit, the Autochart programs also has the ability to adjust all the water levels on your map with the push of a couple of buttons on the unit. The Navionics card will have the depths already on the map, but there is no capability to correct the depths, if they are different than what your sonar reads when you actually get on the water.

RavYak
05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Lakemaster, I-link, Autochart etc do not work with my older model fish finder...

Well that sucks. I didn't realize you get hosed for maps too, how come you can get maps on much cheaper hand held gps units but not on these fish finders...

huntsfurfish
05-18-2014, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't bother with the Lakemaster maps, there is only about 6 bodies of water for Canada on it, and they are in Ontario.

The Navionics Hot Map Supreme has lots of Alberta lakes on it.
http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Humminbird has the Autochart and will be releasing the Autochart Pro soon (software updates for your unit). The SD card that comes with the Autochart will have the shoreline lines, only on it. This program will allow you to chart your own maps. You save your tracks to the SD card (included), plug them into your laptop/computer and the software will convert them to depth contour lines. The new Autochart Pro will have the added capability to distinguish hard and soft bottom, and the ability to overlay imaging pics (you save) over the contour lines for an enhanced view.

If you have a Minn-Kota motor with the I-link feature, you will be able to automatically track by specific depths. You can track by depth now with I-link, and the Autochart program but it is only compatible with the Lakemaster maps, not Navionics maps, and like mentioned before there are basically no Canadian maps available on Lakemaster.

If you fish in an area where water levels fluctuate quite a bit, the Autochart programs also has the ability to adjust all the water levels on your map with the push of a couple of buttons on the unit. The Navionics card will have the depths already on the map, but there is no capability to correct the depths, if they are different than what your sonar reads when you actually get on the water.

I posted a workaround/fix(from humminbird) for the xxx8 and xx8(1198 and 998). You can use the fix to see autochart on units that do not yet have the update.

huntsfurfish
05-18-2014, 03:15 PM
This thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=219161

bobalong
05-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I posted a workaround/fix(from humminbird) for the xxx8 and xx8(1198 and 998). You can use the fix to see autochart on units that do not yet have the update.

I missed that, thanks, I will have to pick up the Autochart now.