PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Tags

jeffrey929
05-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Anyone else have any issues keeping the new tags stuck while in the livewell... After a couple of hours they basically float...

briangeorge
05-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Yes I have the same problem sometimes. I think as long as the tag is with the fish you would be okay.

jeffrey929
05-18-2014, 07:53 AM
I never had that issue with the previous tags... I think it is a concern... What is stopping someone from re using tags if they can just tell a CO I put it on and it floated away??

Jamie Black R/T
05-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Paper tags in a livewell full of water is a bad combo. I put two bags of ice in my livewell now and just kill the fish before I tag em. Throw em on ice till you get them home. No thrashing around in water to ruin the tag.

Northern Yaker
05-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Your doing it right then because you are required to kill it imediately after its tagged. Is that not what it means on the back when it states animals must be tagged immediately after kill?? It says you must tag a retained fish imediately, so for you to tag it, it must already be dead.

RavYak
05-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Fish is better quality if you bleed it and throw it in a cooler of ice too.

jeffrey929
05-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Not sure where it says you have to kill it before you tag it... As I said, the former tags never came off after being in the well all day... These new tags came off almost immediately..

Northern Yaker
05-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Read the back of the tag, the part you throw away. Says it right there on the tag...

jeffrey929
05-19-2014, 06:01 AM
I stand corrected... I have never killed Walleye before tagging... Always tagged and placed in well... The previous tags never came off, so I wasn't worried about it...

Lefty-Canuck
05-19-2014, 07:32 AM
We used to tag our fish and place on a stringer to keep while still filling other tags....we will rethink our strategy now! Be awesome to show up with a stringer of fish that the tags fell off of.....

With the old tags this was possible and we never lost a single one.

LC

bobalong
05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
I was at Pigeon yesterday and filled a couple of A tags. I never put any water in the livewell, but there was a half inch or so in it. A CO came over to us after we were loaded and asked how we had done. I told him we had two tagged fish and asked if he would like to see them. He looked at them, and the tags were still in place at that time.

I told him the livewell was basically dry because the glue on the tags will not stick when it is wet. I am not sure if he passed it along, but I said you may end up with a lot of tags floating in livewells this year. When we got home and went to clean our fish, one tag was almost off, and the other one came off with a very slight pull. Hope the hunting tags dont have the same glue as the walleye tags.