PDA

View Full Version : finally joined - new fly fishermen (questions regarding flies for Sauer lake)

BugChuckingFlies
05-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Hey everyone!

Lurked long enough, finally decided to join after i finally decide to purchase my first fishing setup. I have wanted to start fishing, and have always want to fly fish.

I found this at my local Canadian Tire, and made the jump.

Thought it was perfect as it came with rod, reel, backing line, fly line and the main line (which I believe is a tippet main line as it thins out at the end).

It also came with some flies.

So I don't know how popular Sauer lake is, and weather or not many people on here fish it, but I am hoping I could get some help regarding fly fishing this lake.

So, here is my questions.

I fished this lake 4-5 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, and time when the fish were jumping, and not had a single bite/take.

1 - I am generally getting my cast out around 10-15 ft is this far enough for this lake?

2 -this is a picture of the flies that came with it. Are these to big for the fish that are in there, and if so could someone recommend some flies/sizes for this lake? also could you help me Id what type of flies there are?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31.0-8/10271205_1437591369828661_2463217812001182791_o.jp g

3 - anyone able to tell me what kind of size fish are in this lake?

lastly i have a question about casting.

when your backcast, should you allow the fly/line to hit the water before pull back, or is the line never suppose to hit the water until cast is complete?

RavYak
05-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Fyi there is a fly fishing forum on here that would be much better suited for this question. You are at a similar stage as me when it comes to fly fishing, lots to learn about what flies to use etc. Fly fishing unfortunately isn't just tying on any old fly and chucking it out there, that is why yesterday I was sitting beside guys catching 20+ fish and I only managed 3...

As for Sauer lake, it has fish but winterkills every year, as such you will only catch new stock 8-10 inches or so. I haven't had much luck catching them from shore there if that is what you were trying to do.

the local angler
05-18-2014, 03:42 PM
your line should still be in the air when you are doing what's called a false cast at the 10 and 2 position. look on youtube tons of videos on fly casting how to's, i was on there watching how to do the double haul while fly casting. with small stocked trout lakes and ponds i would use small beadhead nymphs or dry flies like an adams but i am not sure if the dry fly would be too advanced for you at the learning stage. i started off being self taught reading books on how to fly fish. 10 - 15 feet is a good start cause the presentation is more important at this point then distance. you want the fly to land on the water like its natural, and get distance with practice. what i did when i first started to fly fish was if i notice others fly fishing i would sit there and watch them and take notes. it takes practice and patients but when you get the hang of it its incredible. have fun

Dak1138
05-18-2014, 04:53 PM
The black looking fly looks like a Woolley bugger and if you strip it reasonably fast you should get a strike. that goofy looking yellow thing I think is for bass so don't even think of using it. The fly with the reddish body is a royal wulff and should be fished on the surface with no or very little retrieval , I am not sure about the other fly. I am thinking of fishing Chickakoo in the morning until about 11 if you want to come and harass me I may be able to help you . I am definitely not an expert , but know enough to catch a fish or two and know how hard it is to get pointed in the right direction.

chriscosta
05-19-2014, 01:24 AM
You guys are going to chickakoo ? I was landin em on a mayfly last night

BugChuckingFlies
05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Sorry Dak, I only got back on the computer now and got to see your invite to come bug you :)

Did you get there today, how did you do?

I hit Sauer lake again...for the 4th day......not a single bite...

must be doing something wrong surely to go 4 days without even a bite..

fish gunner
05-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Sorry Dak, I only got back on the computer now and got to see your invite to come bug you :)

Did you get there today, how did you do?

I hit Sauer lake again...for the 4th day......not a single bite...

must be doing something wrong surely to go 4 days without even a bite..

Try a beetle pattern 10' down under an indicator on flat calm. shallow up if windy or overcast . Been hammerIng on a local pond all day . If fish start showing on surface longest slowest single draw retrieve. Out fished the whole lake who were catching 6"-8" stockies I was in to 14-16" over wintering fish. :sHa_shakeshout:

Dak1138
05-19-2014, 07:46 PM
I couldn't get a bite either. And I did try a beetle pattern, and a prince nymph, and a pheasant tail nymph, and a woolly bugger, and a San Juan worm, and various dry flys and about half dozen other patterns. There were a few rises around me so I was in the right area. Oh well.

Did your casting get any better?