PDA

View Full Version : Hanson Lake Road, SK anyone?

Nova
05-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Since the Sask fishing forum has turned into a ghost town after going to a reddit forum I figured I have a better chance of getting some good answers here.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experiences to share fishing along the Hanson Lake Road. I had some holiday time free up and I'd like to get on another late spring fishing trip with my dad (and my dog too). Last year it was Cormorant and Yawningstone in Manitoba. Had a blast roughing it for 3 nights but non-stop rain made it a tough go. Did a Tobin trip in fall, and as much as I really enjoyed that I need to see more of the world and experience some new places.

Dates aren't set yet but I'm hoping my dad can free up at least 7 days, looking at the end of June into July most likely. I have the intention of tenting it the whole time. Moving as we go wouldn't be a problem but it would be nice to keep it to a minimum. I'm not opposed to roughing it, but my dad isn't super outdoorsy so being somewhere with toilets and showers would be ok too.

I've never fished for anything besides perch/walleye/pike and would like an opportunity at trout along the way.

Running a 1650 Fishhawk with a 90hp 4 stroke.

So if anyone has suggestions on where to fish, where to stay, etc please do share.

Smokey
05-18-2014, 07:09 PM
I fished 3-4 lakes up that way. If you go to Dachambeau Lake theres a couple known spots the locals tell everyone to fish within 5 mins of the dock. Limestones nice, cause its not to big and you just fish where everyone else is. The Walleye fishing heats up late June, early July. I would not personally bother till the last 2 weeks of June at the earliest, but I am sure there are others who have had different expiences then me. Its like a switch goes off. Going too early can be a waste for walleye fishing, pike is fairly steady during the year. I have fished Jan Lake a couple times, its not to bad.

Check the fishingsaskatchewan message board.

RavYak
05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Check the fishingsaskatchewan message board.

That is the board he is talking about, they changed it to a reddit format that is horrible to use. They didn't have that many active members over there to begin with and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them bailed when they switched over to that crap. I know the new format scared me off although I was in no way a regular poster there...

Nova
05-18-2014, 11:13 PM
That is the board he is talking about, they changed it to a reddit format that is horrible to use. They didn't have that many active members over there to begin with and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them bailed when they switched over to that crap. I know the new format scared me off although I was in no way a regular poster there...

The forum has never been terribly active, has been dying for some time and the switch to reddit was unfortunately the nail in the coffin. I don't get why it was never big in the first place, maybe people in Sask like to keep info to themselves. I've been searching on a variety of lakes and not coming up with much that isn't over 5 years old and a lot changes in that time. Way more info to be had here and on the Manitoba forum.

For what it's worth, I'm not opposed to hitting the bigger lakes as long as it is easy to find somewhere to fish when the wind picks up. It's starting to seem like Deschambault, Jan, Mirond, Limestone, Little Bear and Piprell are front runners right now. I'm still hoping to come up with a couple smaller, quiet lakes that are consistent producers.

Buckhead
05-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Deschambault is a good place to go. There are a couple of campgrounds at the south end IIRC.

Did the same thing there with my Dad as you are talking about - although some years ago.

I think the reason forums about fishing don't do well in Sask is that there are just too many choices. Thousands of lakes to choose from and they all have fish.

YeeHaw
05-19-2014, 08:29 AM
There are tons of good fishing lakes up that way. Jan, Dechambou, upper and lower fishing lakes, on the Hanson lake cut across from Candle lake is some great trout fishing. Hermitage lake has some good laker fishing, pippril, McDougal creek, ranger, Seely for rainbow, browns, cuts, and Splake. If you get to Dechambou, try going up the west arm into the Oskikibuck river, there is some great pike and walleye fishing on Merret, Brownell, Allsmith lakes. Sorry about the spelling.

Teamprotz
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
All depends on what you want ? Deschambault and Limestone are cookie cutter fish , all the same size. Jan has bigger fish but you need to find them and the lake can be dangerous ( rocks n reefs ) Little Bear has lakers but don't expect fast action. Lots of smaller lakes to explore. I honestly love the Flin Flon area , great people , scenery and fishing. There are lakes south of Tisdale Sk, that offer great camping , cheap cabins and great walleye and perch. Marean and Kipabiskau , Barrier and even Greenwater .