PDA

View Full Version : Keep the big fish?

ACM
05-19-2014, 02:05 PM
I just came back from a morning in Rock Lake country I noticed a sign that said we should release all small trout but can keep lakers over 20 Am I missing something? keep the fish that are older and have good genes evidenced by their survival and growth to that size. It seems backwards to me as the strong old fish are you best breeders or am I missing something?

pickrel pat
05-19-2014, 02:14 PM
or you can look at it this way...... if we keep all the small fish there wont be any big fish later on.....:) The keepers have had a chance to breed a couple times already...... and where do you think the genes in those little fish came from? (the big ones)....:) couple ways to look at things. In Alberta with its heavy fishing pressure, to me makes sense to keep bigger ones.

expmler
05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
I always thought the theory was to let the big fish go because they were the females.

canadiantdi
05-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Let the big mammas go..

Big Red 250
05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
The way I was told by a fish biologist was that the big fish are also the old fish and are past their prime egg laying years. This was in a different province but I'm sure it's the same everywhere. Makes sense to me. That's why in some provinces they have slot limits.

harrydude
05-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Well here's a better rule. Let all fish go

recce43
05-19-2014, 08:53 PM

it ok to keep a couple once in awhile to eat

pickrel pat
05-19-2014, 09:16 PM

And just use paintball guns on deer in the areas hit hard from winterkill.:)

beaver blaster
05-19-2014, 10:13 PM
the other day my little brother was fishing in the creek and he caught a big jack. he cut it open and it had a frog, a mouse, and another small jack in its belly. little off topic but pretty neat.

canadiantdi
05-20-2014, 07:00 AM
the other day my little brother was fishing in the creek and he caught a big jack. he cut it open and it had a frog, a mouse, and another small jack in its belly. little off topic but pretty neat.

More than a little I'd say. But I'd like to see a picture of all that in the belly for sure! Pike are such piglets

Big Red 250
05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
I caught a pike many years ago that still had the tail of it's last meal in it's mouth.

pickrel pat
05-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I caught a pike many years ago that still had the tail of it's last meal in it's mouth.

seen quite a few pike floating dead on the surface with a slightly smaller pike sticking part way out of its mouth....They over do it and drown.

DiabeticKripple
05-20-2014, 02:15 PM
seen quite a few pike floating dead on the surface with a slightly smaller pike sticking part way out of its mouth....They over do it and drown.

how does a fish drown? dont they asphyxiate?

58thecat
05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
it ok to keep a couple once in awhile to eat

Exactly don't keep your limit because you can, occasional shore lunch or a BBQ at home makes the moment special and keeps the numbers up.

Luxor
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I just came back from a morning in Rock Lake country I noticed a sign that said we should release all small trout but can keep lakers over 20 Am I missing something? keep the fish that are older and have good genes evidenced by their survival and growth to that size. It seems backwards to me as the strong old fish are you best breeders or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something.
It used to be common thought that bigger fish lay more eggs but it's actually the opposite. It's the smaller fish that lay more eggs. Weird huh?
There are some good articles to be found online.