PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in at 50 yds

Skeenabilly
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Embarrassed asking this one. Past sighting sessions have been at 100 yds but due to time constraints, I have to go to the range that has a 50 yd alley. Using my 300 WSM and my buddies 30-06, for 2.5" high at 100 yds, how do I go about doing this?

Dick284
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Depending on your scope mounting height, and the group size too boot it is pretty hard to do any accurate determination of a definite sight in value.
Typically something 1/2" to 1" would be the norm, but 50 yds is way to close to get a good hunting zero.

Plan ahead is the best way.

I'm ready to go by August on most years some years even sooner.;)

duffy4
10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
There are a number of things a person has to do to prepare for the hunting season or a hunting trip. All the preperation comes down to one moment when that big buck, bull, bear or what have you are adter, steps out into a clearing in front of you and you are ready to take the shot that will mean success or NOT for your hunt. At that moment one can be relaxed and confident that all the time and effort prepairing your rifle and scope and ammo will now pay off. One can feel good knowing that your rifle is sighted in properly and you have practised shooting at different ranges and different field shooting positions. (these feelings are what I think are most important in combating "Buck Fever")

Or at that MOST IMPORTANT moment of the hunt. One can be thinking "Damn, I wish I knew for sure where this gun is hitting! Well here goes, hope I hit him. " (This is the worst thing to agrivate a mild case of "Buck Fever")

OK the little lecture is over. If you must "sight in" at 50 yards, remember that your group had better be very small and right exactly where you want it. If you are just a little bit to the right (1 inch) then you will be more to the right at 100 and more yet at 200 and so on. When you are out hunting take the time at noon lunch break to set up a box with a target in a safe spt at 100 yards and check your rifle. Then in the afternoon when you get that nice buck in your sights you will have that "I WILL make this shot" feeling.

Robin in Rocky