PDA

View Full Version : Jon boat

stewie333
05-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Is it okay to exceed the 3hp rating on my 1232 Jon boat? I've read mixed things about not making headway in a stiff wind or a slow current. The motors are too expensive to buy the wrong one.

Thanks.

CanAlta
05-20-2014, 07:59 PM
I have a 1049 jon by Marlon. Recommended is 5hp and I put on a 6 hp. It hasn't been a problem and it feels like she could handle a more powerful motor...... Not sure it could handle the weight of a bigger motor though. What are you thinking of getting? A 5hp?

stewie333
05-21-2014, 04:02 AM
No more than 5 or 6hp. The motors get pretty heavy with anything over that.

AK47
05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Maybe I am wrong but I think you should take your own weight in consideration. Small person plus bigger motor will weight less than bigger person and small motor. Just my 2 cnts.

The Fisherman Guy
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Motor weight comes into consideration when matching it to a boat. Small Jon boat, small transom.

I would look at the weight differential between the two motors, and let that be your guide. For instance:

A new Yamaha 9.9hp four stroke outboard weighs - 86lbs.

A new Yamaha 20hp four stroke outboard weighs - 111lbs.

A new Yamaha 25hp four stroke outboard weighs - 168lbs.

but...

A new Yamaha 4 or 6 hp, weigh the same - 59lbs.

EZM
05-21-2014, 10:12 PM
It's also rated to ensure a higher horesepower motor, with higher torque when at full throttle, does not bend your transom ........ keep that in mind.

The forward and lateral torque an engine exerts when in forward gear, must be countered by an equal force applied, in the opposite direct(s) as the force applied through transom which is the opposite point of stress to the propeller.

There is a reason why different manufacturers of the same sized boats, with near identical weights, have two different horsepower limitations. All transoms are not built alike.

Having said that - I'm pretty sure there is a safety "margin of error" on most transoms and a smaller motor isn't going to generate as much significant torque ..... I would get to crazy on it.

pikergolf
05-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Is it okay to exceed the 3hp rating on my 1232 Jon boat? I've read mixed things about not making headway in a stiff wind or a slow current. The motors are too expensive to buy the wrong one.

Thanks.

It's a real waste of money if you get caught with a motor larger than indicated on the plate, and you get told to take it off.