PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee May 21

oilngas
05-21-2014, 04:45 PM
The fishn dock is not in yet.

We found the fishn a lot slower than summer, 25ish walleye in 2 hours, slip bobber (4# leader, fine wire sharp hook) c/w minnow caught 95%, other was a heavy line c/w heavy wire leader and minnow on dull hook caught a few.
No he would not change.

Water is 50 degrees, 16 FOW seem to be the best depth. Water is very turbid, and wally was that whiteish silver colour.

Boat launch is good shape, and look like they are turning on the power to campsites.

Flieguy
05-21-2014, 04:52 PM
caught a couple with the fly rod earlier this week, also found it a little slower than earlier years. I was hoping for some pike, and only fished for about half an hour.

rena0040
05-21-2014, 08:24 PM
was there on friday, was surprised the dock wasn't in for may long. i got in a bay that was about 8-10 feet and went throught 2 tubs of minnows, lost count, which was surprising after the winter trips i had out there this year.

something that ive never noticed fishing there before was that i got spooged on by a couple walleye. if they are finally coming to a mauture age and can reproduce is it possible we have a really good fishery in a few years?

oilngas
05-21-2014, 08:55 PM
thanks for that, maybe we were too deep!!! we kinda had trouble anchorin and ended up in 16 FOW ( captain was on the ball but deckhand left a lot to be desired)!!! See comment on thread re; heavy wire leader.

We caught a few and that was enuff for the day!! layzeeeeness on the captains part likely did not pay off. Both dogs had a ball tho!!!

Oh well beautiful day, no wind and crystal clear to the mountains.

bigbadbrown
05-22-2014, 12:09 AM
I was there over the weekend as well, but we left the walley almond and were targeting pike. Only one landed though.

Flieguy
05-22-2014, 05:29 AM
I was there over the weekend as well, but we left the walley almond and were targeting pike. Only one landed though.

and no walleye?? I've fished in 4fow with a 7inch jerkbait and STILL caught walleye when targeting pike.

bigbadbrown
05-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Nope no walleye, we were after the big pike. Even a hammer handle would struggle with these baits. I've caught more than enough of those little stunted walleye, They are fun! But it's more exciting hammering one big pike.

rybak
05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
How's fishing from shore? I am thinking of taking my 10 year old son there tonight...
We went to chain lakes last week and got 1 little trout in 4 hours... hoping for a bit better result this time around

bigbadbrown
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
How's fishing from shore? I am thinking of taking my 10 year old son there tonight...
We went to chain lakes last week and got 1 little trout in 4 hours... hoping for a bit better result this time around

Fishing from shore is great, minnows and a bobber can produce 30 or more fish an hour! Great place to take kids. It's arguably the best beginner angler lake in southern alberta.

Flieguy
05-22-2014, 02:53 PM
took my girlfriend's niece and nephew there last year. Close to 50 fish between the two of them in about 2 hours. I managed about 5 casts in between baiting them up. Went through a tub of minnows and I was cutting each one into thirds

Buddy at work has never caught a fish, might take him there tomorrow and while he targets them little walleye I'll throw some 8" bunny leeches :D

oilngas
05-22-2014, 05:24 PM
This Reservoir is my go to spot for kids, newbie's, old guys and self when I want an easy day.

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Up to 30 fish in an hour? That's way good enough for me..I'm gonna take a trip down there with a friend maybe. Is this kinda fishing just down from the parking lot?

bigbadbrown
05-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Up to 30 fish in an hour? That's way good enough for me..I'm gonna take a trip down there with a friend maybe. Is this kinda fishing just down from the parking lot?

Yes at any of the three main parking lots you will catch fish. The parking lot on the east side of the bridge is my favorite. If the dock is out at the boat launch now, it's also a good spot.
Just a reminder to all the dock is for boats first then fishing.
There are many people that either don't know this or just don't care.

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Ok thanks

Okotoks584
05-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Was out there last week and it was slow going but only fished for 2 hours as the weather was not good!

Thundercatcher
05-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Where is that lake, I'm in red deer

Hambone1981
05-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Where is that lake, I'm in red deer

South of high river and west of stavely on the 527

rybak
05-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone - went out with my son a few days ago and he had a blast... He just loves to feel the fish fighting on the line... i guess he is hooked now :)

Flieguy
05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I caught a couple of walleye that were pushing 18" on top of the usual 14" crowd. it really made my day, here's to hoping this slight trend continues.

bigbadbrown
05-27-2014, 12:09 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I caught a couple of walleye that were pushing 18" on top of the usual 14" crowd. it really made my day, here's to hoping this slight trend continues.

Two years ago I caught one that was over 60cm and fat. But lately there are the odd one that is a little bigger.