PDA

View Full Version : Red Dorsal Fin on the Red Deer River

BushWacked
05-23-2014, 12:44 AM
I was fishing on the RDR tonight at the mouth of the Blindman. As we were leaving around 9pm, we saw a bright red dorsal fin exposed at the surface and then it went back down. The fella's next to us said they saw one too a few minutes earlier. Can anyone tell me what species it is?

DiabeticKripple
05-23-2014, 12:44 AM
I was fishing on the RDR tonight at the mouth of the Blindman. As we were leaving around 9pm, we saw a bright red dorsal fin exposed at the surface and then it went back down. The fella's next to us said they saw one too a few minutes earlier. Can anyone tell me what species it is?

redhorse sucker

BushWacked
05-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Thanks Diabetic. I've never seen one that bright red before

kilgoretrout
05-23-2014, 01:20 AM
Not likely a redhorse sucker as that is a eastern Canada fish it is more likely a pike as they quite often have a red coloring on their dorsal fin and tail and at this time of year would be in the shallows spawning...Hope this helps

DiabeticKripple
05-23-2014, 01:34 AM
Not likely a redhorse sucker as that is a eastern Canada fish it is more likely a pike as they quite often have a red coloring on their dorsal fin and tail and at this time of year would be in the shallows spawning...Hope this helps

There are tons of red horse suckers in Alberta.

flyguyd
05-23-2014, 05:12 AM
There are tons of red horse suckers in Alberta.

Maybe all the ones ive caught in AB were lost :thinking-006:

KegRiver
05-23-2014, 05:51 AM
According to SRD there are two species of Redhorse Sucker in Alberta.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fish-research-licence/documents/List-NativeNaturalizedFishSpecies-Alberta-Nov12-2013.pdf

Some times a little research can avoid a lot of misunderstanding.

wags
05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
And the shorthead redhorse sucker is the second most populous fish in the lower section of the Red Deer River, as per a 2004 study, next to Goldeye.

Watched my buddy pull one out the other day.

Cheers

azn_rice_man
05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
According to SRD there are two species of Redhorse Sucker in Alberta.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fish-research-licence/documents/List-NativeNaturalizedFishSpecies-Alberta-Nov12-2013.pdf

Some times a little research can avoid a lot of misunderstanding.

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing!

Mikezilk
05-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Definitely a Redhorse. Was fishing there last Friday and had 4 swim by.

The Fisherman Guy
05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
They are a frequent by-catch when targeting Lake Sturgeon. My favorite Alberta sucker fish.

http://www.roughfish.com/sites/default/files/shorthead_redhorse_closeup.jpg

Red Bullets
05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
The redhorse is actually a good challenge on light tackle. Strong river run fish.
Use 2 lb. line on an ultralight rod and a 4 lb. redhorse becomes an epic battle as challenging as a black marlin in the south pacific.

the11fisherman
05-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Look in your Alberta Fish Species book again :). There are two species of Redhorse Suckers in Alberta. The Silver Redhorse, and the Shorthead Redhorse. It is the Shorthead Redhorse that is characterized often by the exquisitely red colored tails and is more than 99% likely the fish that was seen on this outing. I have never seen a silver redhorse with really red fins though, typically they are less vibrant in color.

chuck1987
05-25-2015, 10:13 PM

pinelakeperch
05-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a sucker to me. I've been catching some pretty big ones this year, up to the high 20s.

http://i.imgur.com/TRVKc5c.png

http://i.imgur.com/Xdjq9Ud.jpg

EZM
05-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Pike spawn immediately after ice out as soon as the surface water temp begins to move up a few degrees .....mid 40's F if memory serves me correct ....so chances are, Pike have been done spawning for close to a couple months down south by now.

Here is central Alberta it's been over a month now. Water temps on big lakes are well into the 50's.

Typical opening days, and the dates being later as we push northward in the province, coincide with the typical spawning period plus a few weeks for insurance to ensure by the time the fishermen get back on the lakes, the Pike have finished up and are re-distributing throughout the lake.

Keep in mind - the triggers for Walleye/Perch are different and more related to photo periods (daylight) as opposed to Pike which seem to trigger on Surface Water Temp.

leloinjunior
03-13-2016, 01:02 PM
During spring/spawing they're fins are bright red & beautiful, absolutely stunning fish. I've caught them occasionally in the NSR on worms.