PDA

View Full Version : which braid?

slipbobber
05-24-2014, 02:42 PM
I think I used Fire line years ago and want to change lines this year. What braid are you using and why. Mainly use this rod and reel for trolling for Pike. Current line is white and I'm thinking some thing less visible in the water would be a good thing.

EZM
05-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Fireline, in my opinion, is one of the lowest quality braids you can get, so almost anything you choose is likely an improvement. It seems to get flaky, hairy and weak very quickly.

I'd suggest Power Pro - I like the super slick variety.

Power Pro is Great line.

JohninAB
05-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Fireline, in my opinion, is one of the lowest quality braids you can get, so almost anything you choose is likely an improvement. It seems to get flaky, hairy and weak very quickly.

Power Pro is Great line.

My thoughts as well.

NSRfishing
05-24-2014, 03:02 PM
another vote for powerpro

fish gunner
05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I love fire line fir jigging and such after 5years its still tough as nails looks beat ...but still performs fine . My heavy outfits are spooled with power pro 30lb trolls great I run a 30lb floroleader. This gives a chance of other species , if im just after pike I use 50lb floro as a leader. Get the strongest thinest line your budget allows. Good luck tight lines. :)

The Reel Deal
05-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Power pro

I'm interested in any feedback on the trilene nanofil, I'd like to try the 6#

Flieguy
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Power pro

I'm interested in any feedback on the trilene nanofil, I'd like to try the 6#

nanofil sucks. really low lifespan. mine kept fraying and breaking the first season I used it.

TrophyPikeHunter
05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Sufix 832 or TUF-Line. I use the Sufix and really like it. Tough as nails.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2014, 03:43 PM
:)
:sign0176:
:thinking-006:
:snapoutofit:
:argue2:

They are all good. Including fireline.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Power Pro is Great line.

Good that it is just your opinion. haha

Fireline not even a braid.

Been using it since it was brought out. Still like it for some things. I use it all the way down to 2 and 3 pound works great!

Bet more fish caught on fireline then all others combined.:)

Also its been around longer than most too.

The Reel Deal
05-24-2014, 03:54 PM
nanofil sucks. really low lifespan. mine kept fraying and breaking the first season I used it.

Wicked, thanks for the heads up

huntsfurfish
05-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Spider wire, power pro, berkley fireline are all good choices. Some braids may be hard on rod tips/guides. And some will be "noisy". Being that it is for trolling, the 832 and other super slick lines are not really needed. The first 3 mentioned would all be good choices. Low vis colors. Weight in 20 to 40 lb if you are fishing for large pike with large baits. 15 - 30 if lots of small plus occasional large pike.

I do use fireline on a lot of my trolling reels.:)

fishdude17
05-24-2014, 04:48 PM
When it comes to braided line, I have only ever used Power Pro and have absolutely no reasons to consider trying other brands...great stuff!

Calvo05
05-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Just picked up some 20lb Power Pro Super slick - Timber Brown for my 2nd reel... great stuff!!... easily casting an additional 20-40ft depends on the lure; other reel is 30lb Power Pro moss green.

Goater
05-24-2014, 05:47 PM
One of the fishing shows did a few tests with
Power pro
Spiderwire
Suffix 832

and that is how they rated at the end.

Zuludog
05-24-2014, 05:59 PM
When it comes to braided line, I have only ever used Power Pro and have absolutely no reasons to consider trying other brands...great stuff!

This has been my experience as well. At the fly in lodge I go to every year it is the only line they carry and they use it for BIG ( 20-35lb) pike and trolling for BIG lake trout (up to 45lbs).

trigger7mm
05-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Tuff Line and Power Pro are both great lines. I love the highest vis line available. Really helps detect light bites that sometimes you can't feel right away. Just tie on a 5' fluorocarbon leader, and away you go.

EZM
05-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Tuff Line and Power Pro are both great lines. I love the highest vis line available. Really helps detect light bites that sometimes you can't feel right away. Just tie on a 5' fluorocarbon leader, and away you go.

I do exactly the same thing - use high visibility yellow or red Power Pro and run a clear fluorocarbon leader ......... it does help you see line movement on those occasions where that can present an advantage.

EZM
05-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Been using it since it was brought out. Still like it for some things. I use it all the way down to 2 and 3 pound works great!

WRONG .....Fireline is, in fact, a braided line by definition despite the "marketing". It is a multi-strand product that is re-heated and extruded (by pulling the cooled line at the finished end) to "fuse" the strands.

The problem with any polymer or co-polymer, Fireline being a PolyEthylene co-polymer, is IF the temperature (and other key processing parameters like tension, spooling speed etc...) are not absolutely perfect, it can exhibit a number of problems .......and you better have a robust in-line process control and quality program to catch any issues .....so it' hard to make a consistently good product using this process........... that's why it sucks .......:)

There's a reason nobody uses this old technology to produce any modern and high performance super lines anymore.

Why not use a new line, produced in a process that improves repeatability and reliability in manufacture and enjoy the advantages of a better product.

Next thing you going to tell me is you are using steel leaders ......:sHa_shakeshout:

barbed hooks ......:sHa_shakeshout:.......... oh ........ that one made less sense but was pretty fun ....

Either way .... I've had nothing good to say about fireline. I even recently spooled up a rod with some newer fireline crystal (on a back up rod) and we will see how that works ..... but it's power pro for the rest of my stuff.

Who knows maybe you are right and everyone elses opinion is wrong ..... it's happened before ............. in an altered reality .....:)

Come up here and catch some big gators - you spool up with fire-line and I will use power pro ...... let's see what happens ....

bobalong
05-24-2014, 07:45 PM

I like Fireline as well, going on the 6th year with some of it this year. I cut a few feet off the end every year, and re-spool it after 3, moving the "inside" line to the outside. Also a fan of Powerpro. I have tried quite a few superlines, they all work pretty well, but I like Fireline and Powerpro the best.

kcward
05-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I have used Spiderwire since it came out a dozen years ago. Like the Stealth or the new Ultracast Fluoro braid. I also use the Power Pro and find it to be very similar...a little more limp lb for lb to spiderwire and fades a little quicker.
All in all, both good lines though!

pikekid
05-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I just stick with spider line or Sufix lines, but either way fireline or power pro is my best bet for trout. spider or sufix for the big boys

BeeGuy
05-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I used fireline for many years. It served me well.

I have now had power pro on about 7 reels for years and it is superior imo.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Going to try Power Pro for the first time this year myself.
Sounds like it is the best type to use based on other people experiences.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2014, 11:34 PM
WRONG .....Fireline is, in fact, a braided line by definition despite the "marketing". It is a multi-strand product that is re-heated and extruded (by pulling the cooled line at the finished end) to "fuse" the strands.

The problem with any polymer or co-polymer, Fireline being a PolyEthylene co-polymer, is IF the temperature (and other key processing parameters like tension, spooling speed etc...) are not absolutely perfect, it can exhibit a number of problems .......and you better have a robust in-line process control and quality program to catch any issues .....so it' hard to make a consistently good product using this process........... that's why it sucks .......:)

There's a reason nobody uses this old technology to produce any modern and high performance super lines anymore.

Why not use a new line, produced in a process that improves repeatability and reliability in manufacture and enjoy the advantages of a better product.

Next thing you going to tell me is you are using steel leaders ......:sHa_shakeshout:

barbed hooks ......:sHa_shakeshout:.......... oh ........ that one made less sense but was pretty fun ....

Either way .... I've had nothing good to say about fireline. I even recently spooled up a rod with some newer fireline crystal (on a back up rod) and we will see how that works ..... but it's power pro for the rest of my stuff.

Who knows maybe you are right and everyone elses opinion is wrong ..... it's happened before ............. in an altered reality .....:)

Come up here and catch some big gators - you spool up with fire-line and I will use power pro ...... let's see what happens ....

You are partly right. It is multi strand, but is not a conventional braid at all.

I use lines that work for me in different situations. They are different tools for different jobs. I like spiderwire braid for jigging if it is not to windy-very soft/limp when windier I use power pro - stiffer and easier to tie in windier conditions. Still use some mono and fireline for jigging depending on my needs some lines are better for fliping shallow for eyes.. Fireline for trolling cranks for walleye and bottom bouncing. Power pro depth hunter for lake trout. Like I said they are all good.

If it suited me for the type of fishing, yes I would use a steel leader,but I also like titanium and fluorocarbon leaders.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Its not uncommon for someone to have a bad experience with a line or line type, or even a reel etc. and claim that they are no good even though they have very limited experience with the product. It is actually quite funny. lol

fish gunner
05-24-2014, 11:40 PM
You are partly right. It is multi strand, but is not a conventional braid at all.

I use lines that work for me in different situations. They are different tools for different jobs. I like spiderwire braid for jigging if it is not to windy-very soft/limp when windier I use power pro - stiffer and easier to tie in windier conditions. Still use some mono and fireline for jigging depending on my needs some lines are better for fliping shallow for eyes.. Fireline for trolling cranks for walleye and bottom bouncing. Power pro depth hunter for lake trout. Like I said they are all good.

If it suited me for the type of fishing, yes I would use a steel leader,but I also like titanium and fluorocarbon leaders.

Thru weeds fireline will embarrass most other lines. per lb its thiner than all but my 30-10 power pro . Old boy showd me a wipe with a candle once a yr and fire line looks brand new for those that care for such things . It was my got to on baitcasters as it has better shock strenth on birds nests ..but tangles like no other in a wind.

azn_rice_man
05-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Seaguar smack down

BeeGuy
05-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Seaguar smack down

x2

This is phenomenal line for p-rigging p-coulee.

The sensitivity is unparalleled.

bloopbloob
05-25-2014, 07:12 AM
I am actually shocked that there aren't more Sufix 832 responses. I have used almost every line posted on here, and nothing compares to Sufix 832 in my opinion, as far as strength and longevity.

Kurt505
05-25-2014, 09:03 AM
I am actually shocked that there aren't more Sufix 832 responses. I have used almost every line posted on here, and nothing compares to Sufix 832 in my opinion, as far as strength and longevity.

X2, I started with Spider Wire when it first came out, then FireLine, then Power Pro, now Suffix.

They all are better than mono for most applications IMO, when it comes to trout or perch I still prefer mono or fluorocarbon.

Geezle
05-25-2014, 10:25 AM

I think I've tried most of them at some point as well.

Fireline I just plain don't like...tough stuff but very stiff/crusty...almost feels like it's been waxed.

Fireline Crystal was a little better but still not the stuff for me.

I rocked Spiderwire Stealth braid on a couple reels for a season or two and didn't mind it...don't have much of an opinion one way or the other on this one.

NanoFil was okay at best...seemed kind of like a thinner version of Fireline Crystal...seemed to wear kind of fast.

Sufix Performance Fuse: See Fireline

Sufix 832 was pretty good stuff...nice and limp and looked much like the Spiderwire but didn't seem to last as long for me.

And finally PowerPro is where I've firmly landed for my line. Good tough stuff, not too crusty, easy to tie, and seems to last a long time.

This has been my experience with various braids. Granted I haven't tried all the different variants of different brands, but I've found what works for me and I'll stick with it :)

Settle&release
05-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Power pro is the best braid I have used. I fish the north sask a lot and there is lots of debris. You almost need an angle grinder to cut the stuff haha

creighton
05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
SPIDER WIRE Stealth braid All the way!! I use 40lb test. Its a bit over kill but Ive never had a line or leader break on this line!

EZM
05-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I have decided to vote a second time ....

Power Pro all the way !!!!!!!!!

gnugen
05-26-2014, 08:17 AM
I've got 20 and 40lb. Power Pro on my rods. Knots won't slip, colour doesn't fade to quickly but most of all - tough as hell.

TrophyPikeHunter
05-26-2014, 09:22 AM
I have decided to vote a second time ....

Power Pro all the way !!!!!!!!!

Sufix 832 forever!!!! :fighting0074:

Geezle
05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Sufix 832 forever!!!! :fighting0074:

The gauntlet has been thrown down! :budo::scared0018:

RavYak
05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
I started with suffix 832 and as a couple others have mentioned it seemed to wear prematurely when I compare it to the power pro I use now. Other then that it was fine, I was just disappointed with how easy it was breaking after some use so I switched to PP and haven't had the same issue.

Walleyedude
05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Like a lot of others, I've tried them all. Once I tried the new Power Pro Super Slick I switched all my braid setups over to it. The best break and knot strength per diameter and silent through the rod guides. It's hands down the best option in my experience.

Guba
05-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Seaguar smack down

X2. For braid (real) parameters you may also want to check this site: http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/index.htm

huffy
05-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Cabelas house brand! 15 bucks for 300yds! USe it on all my CDN Tire combos!:argue2:

fish gunner
05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Cabelas house brand! 15 bucks for 300yds! USe it on all my CDN Tire combos!:argue2:

Bet your gear still catches fish as well as any other gear. Something something trades man and tools oh I can never remember those sayings. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

cribfisher
05-26-2014, 11:54 PM
I've started to buy generic direct from overseas manufacturers. Found little to no difference, maybe not quite as smooth, and it is only about $30-35 for 1000m spool so I replace it at the slightest show of wear.