PDA

View Full Version : Prussian Carp in the Bow

the11fisherman
05-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Was out fishing last night on the Bow and saw a school of Prussian carp and decided to see if I could target them. I used size 8 hooks with a tiny bit of worm on it and got into the action quickly. I ended with 20 caught, in the pictures. I also posted a video on youtube of them at :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIKkCrJ2v8
Sorry my pictures won't upload, they are too big, but you can still see the carp in the video.

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Was this in the city?

BBKiller
05-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I thought there was a bait ban on the bow? :sign0161:
Just asking not accusing anyone of anything.

Davey Boy
05-24-2014, 07:58 PM
I'd let Trout Unlimited know, bet they would be interested, and would push for trying to eradicate this species.
Here is their # 403-221-8360

the11fisherman
05-24-2014, 08:24 PM
I thought there was a bait ban on the bow? :sign0161:
Just asking not accusing anyone of anything.

Not when you are in the lower stretches on the prairie on the Bow River. I believe when you are in the trout area on the upper stretches there is a bait ban. I caught them out in the Hays/ forks area.

the11fisherman
05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Last year I caught some of these and contacted the head on Alberta Biologist of Fisheries and he came to my place to pick up the fish that I kept for him and he went out with a crew to where I was catching these and tried to electrofish for them. He told me if I ever caught any more to save them for him again, which I did. He will have an email sent to him on Monday to let him know that I have a bunch for him again.

BBKiller
05-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Not when you are in the lower stretches on the prairie on the Bow River. I believe when you are in the trout area on the upper stretches there is a bait ban. I caught them out in the Hays/ forks area.

Good to know, been a while since I have fished the bow. Can you catch sturgeon around that area ?

BBKiller
05-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Last year I caught some of these and contacted the head on Alberta Biologist of Fisheries and he came to my place to pick up the fish that I kept for him and he went out with a crew to where I was catching these and tried to electrofish for them. He told me if I ever caught any more to save them for him again, which I did. He will have an email sent to him on Monday to let him know that I have a bunch for him again.

Are they making a plan to deal with these fish ? Not good.

the11fisherman
05-24-2014, 08:46 PM
If you use the proper techniques at the right location and right time of the year, the sturgeon fishing can be very productive.

As far as I know they wish that they can get rid of the carp, but realistically trying to eradicate a species from a river is no small ordeal. I hope they do though.

jacenbeers
05-25-2014, 06:13 PM
It really sucks that they have made it into the Bow.

Raptor Boy
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Will these carp wipe out the trout on the bow?? And was it a fish that was illegally introduced to the river??

jacenbeers
05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I am not sure what impact they will have. They were illegally introduced in southern AB and made their want first into the Red Deer River before making it into the Bow

the11fisherman
05-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Will these carp wipe out the trout on the bow?? And was it a fish that was illegally introduced to the river??

It depends whether they were released above the dam or not, which I bet they were since Calgary has a few stores that I believe sell live Prussian Carp to eat. I don't know what affect they will have on the other fish species, but since it is not native, it is something to be worried about. But you look at it and Rainbow Trout are not native along with lots of other trout, and they haven't completely wiped out the other species.

Very illegally introduced.

the11fisherman
05-25-2014, 07:09 PM
I finally resized the photo I took at home of the carp that I caught. The biggest was 13 inches, the smallest about 8-9(didn't measure the small ones)

the local angler
05-25-2014, 09:05 PM
so obviously they are not a game species here in alberta so catch and keep with no limits right? are they good to eat? does the gov want them to be turned into them via fish and wildlife offices? catch as many as you can and donate them to like the bird sanctuaries to feed hawks and such?

rafhone
05-25-2014, 10:16 PM
I've never ate it, but I hear its pretty tastey.

jacenbeers
05-25-2014, 10:20 PM
so obviously they are not a game species here in alberta so catch and keep with no limits right? are they good to eat? does the gov want them to be turned into them via fish and wildlife offices? catch as many as you can and donate them to like the bird sanctuaries to feed hawks and such?

I have a 13 in her in my freezer from today if you want it

the local angler
05-25-2014, 11:35 PM
no its alright man i was more curious what everyone did with them once they were caught cause i plan to hit the forks soon and wanted to know a bit about this unique fish.

the11fisherman
05-26-2014, 07:21 AM
I personally would phone the nearest wildlife officer and see if they want them. If not then do whatever you want with them except release them. I don't know how they taste, but where they are native lots of people eat them.

Winch101
05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Awesome bait for Pike through the ice .

Those came out of the Bow ,did they .?

huntsfurfish
05-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Awesome bait for Pike through the ice .

Those came out of the Bow ,did they .?

That would be illegal! You cannot use carp for bait in AB. Please read your regs.

mikebossy
05-26-2014, 08:26 AM
That would be illegal! You cannot use carp for bait in AB. Please read your regs.

^^ are you for real? can't use illegally introduced carp for bait? come on, as long as you dont put them back in the river, common sense says do whatever you like with them.

Winch101
05-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Mike B you little mind reader . Another reg .that will have to be changed .

Carp will have to be specie specific .....what I have read about Prussia and Asian

Carp we will have to find another use for them besides game fish , Carp

Make great garden fertilizer ....

huntsfurfish
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
^^ are you for real? can't use illegally introduced carp for bait? come on, as long as you dont put them back in the river, common sense says do whatever you like with them.

Yup, Im for real! It is illegal!

And no, you cannot do whatever you like with them.

You didnt happen to read what came of the crayfish introductions in AB did you? They were used for bait(common sense:sHa_sarcasticlol:) Soon needed to be made illegal to use as bait as well.

huntsfurfish
05-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Mike B you little mind reader . Another reg .that will have to be changed .

Carp will have to be specie specific .....what I have read about Prussia and Asian

Carp we will have to find another use for them besides game fish , Carp

Make great garden fertilizer ....

Cant use as bait - illegal. Carp are already listed that you cant use as bait. Carp are carp. It does not mention common carp, prussian or asian. It says carp. Bet that they stay illegal for bait use!

See post above.

Do a search. this has come up not that long ago.