PDA

View Full Version : any monofilament lovers on the boards

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 01:47 PM
i just went back to using mono on every rod from a few years of flurocarbon and a few years before that it was braid. but i'm now back to mono as i like the stretch and some of the newer coated monos are quite fluro like in slickness but still have that play in the line. its an age thing too, started with mono and as my fishing evolved we try new things, i guess even mono had to evolve. i'll stick to the fluoro for ice fishing trout and braid for icing pike. if you know how to work your mono memory isnt a problem anymore.

any other mono lovers

RavYak
05-25-2014, 02:35 PM
I hate mono...

I used to use it and I still have it on one of my reels. Memory is a royal pain and stretch isn't necessary and in many cases is actually a hindrance since you lose sensitivity.

I pretty much use braid on everything now and either fluoro or titanium leaders. I could never switch back even though mono is so much cheaper.

great white whaler
05-25-2014, 02:36 PM
20 pound berkley momo,,,that is great line no snarls ,,great cast ,,,i was pulling my 12 ft alum boat around today and it did not brake very strong,,,the only weakest was them black swivels from wallmart i lost my favoured 5 of diamonds today because the swivels.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 03:15 PM
I hate mono...

I used to use it and I still have it on one of my reels. Memory is a royal pain and stretch isn't necessary and in many cases is actually a hindrance since you lose sensitivity.

I pretty much use braid on everything now and either fluoro or titanium leaders. I could never switch back even though mono is so much cheaper.

I think you have mistook this thread with the i hate mono thread.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2014, 03:45 PM
My favorite mono is tectan(german). A little pricey, but those that use it like it. Hard to get but worth it. Can still get it from FishUSA.com
www.FishUSA.com

Still use some XT and Big Game for some applications too.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 03:57 PM
My favorite mono is tectan(german). A little pricey, but those that use it like it. Hard to get but worth it. Can still get it from FishUSA.com
www.FishUSA.com

Still use some XT and Big Game for some applications too.

thanks, i'm going to look into that line. mono does deterioate quickly for the hardcore fisherman but like anything, keep your eyelets clean and your bail on the reel clean and your line will last longer. i like it for open spool baitfishing on windless days because it sits on top of the water and i like seeing the bite from the line and not the rod.

Wes_G
05-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Cant stand braid. Mono on everyone of my rods except for the big pike rod which has Cortland nylon Pike/Muskie line on it. I don't seem to have any trouble at all catching fish.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Cant stand braid. Mono on everyone of my rods except for the big pike rod which has Cortland nylon Pike/Muskie line on it. I don't seem to have any trouble at all catching fish.

is cortland nylon clear?

Bow flyman
05-25-2014, 04:28 PM
I have always used mono, as it does the job of getting fish to the net. But I do agree that it stretches and twists, and commonly gets rats nests. These are the major drawbacks.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
is cortland nylon clear?

No, its not clear.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I have always used mono, as it does the job of getting fish to the net. But I do agree that it stretches and twists, and commonly gets rats nests. These are the major drawbacks.

I find that if I build up the inside of the spool with oldjunk line then add the line I need realistically on my reel I have less problems. I also pre-stretch my line by chucking a big LT spoon a few times to get it seated. lots of the newer reels have spools where the inside diameter is very narrow where on older reels its larger diameter. mono cant be spooled so narrow in my opinion. i get the whole lighter reel thing but find the older big spool spinning reels superior to these plasticky reels.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
No, its not clear.

so it's like a blended braid?

huntsfurfish
05-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Not mono or superline. Old style braided line.:) Dacron I believe.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Not mono or superline. Old style braided line.:) Dacron I believe.

Oh, i know the stuff, i like it for ice fishing, never thought about it for a rod but probably tugh as heck for trolling which i don't do anymore.

bobalong
05-25-2014, 05:14 PM

Just curious, you have mentioned some of the drawbacks, what is it you like about mono?

Bow flyman
05-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Mono is relatively cheap, very smooth to cast, and has lots of stretch, so if a fish hits hard, the line can absorb the shock and wont always break. These are some of the positive aspects of mono.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Mono is relatively cheap, very smooth to cast, and has lots of stretch, so if a fish hits hard, the line can absorb the shock and wont always break. These are some of the positive aspects of mono.

yes, it's that little bit of give that i like too.

EZM
05-25-2014, 09:40 PM
I have one parabolic trolling rod packed with mono - primarily for shock absorption - I think it works very well for Kokanees. Berkley Trilene XL ( extra limp ) in a 10lb.

I have an identical set up (same rod, reel) and set it up with 15lb braid (and snubber for shock absorption) and I loose more fish on it compared to the one packed with mono.

Other than that ........... I use braided lines with fluorocarbon leaders.

This might be the one and only time I'd ever buy mono ......

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I have one parabolic trolling rod packed with mono - primarily for shock absorption - I think it works very well for Kokanees. Berkley Trilene XL ( extra limp ) in a 10lb.

I have an identical set up (same rod, reel) and set it up with 15lb braid (and snubber for shock absorption) and I loose more fish on it compared to the one packed with mono.

Other than that ........... I use braided lines with fluorocarbon leaders.

This might be the one and only time I'd ever buy mono ......

havent tried it myself but a friend gets those tiny elastics dentists use on teeth for a snubber for kokanees.

Rafter1
05-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Hey Crankbait I too have been seriously thinking about going back to mono. It is an age thing like you said but besides that it is too difficult trying to tie all those fancy new knots needed for fluorcarbon when the hands are full of arthritis. I prefer a clinch knot any day.

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Hey Crankbait I too have been seriously thinking about going back to mono. It is an age thing like you said but besides that it is too difficult trying to tie all those fancy new knots needed for fluorcarbon when the hands are full of arthritis. I prefer a clinch knot any day.

i was shown a trick with flurocarbon that may help you out a bit. always have a roll off electrical tape or some duct tape on hand and pull your line through the gluey part a few times then tie your knot. it takes some practice but seems to work.

i just know what to expect from mono,, you can actually feel a snag coming loose a bit easier too. if they make a smaller diameter mono i will be in heaven, but thats a drawback that i'm willing to suffer.

Dale S
05-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Mono all the way. Less tangles and when it does tangle it's easy to untangle. It's nice to have a little stretch in the line when those 4' or 5' sturgeon are jumping threw the air. And it doesn't wear your rods guides out.

Winch101
05-26-2014, 07:13 AM
We have this discussion on here . I have been using Trilene XL since
It came on the market . 8 lb for walleyes ....only change top 50 yds
On spinning reels . 14lb on Baitcasters . Get twist relief by pulling
Bare line behind the boat going out and or coming in . Always start
The day with fresh 3 ft. No knot slippage ,Love the price ...
I did buy a large spool of suffix last year , green , I would give it
To anyone who wants it ...200 yards left .
I did a lot of musky fishing ,so I am familiar with braids just not a fan .

huntsfurfish
05-26-2014, 07:59 AM
i was shown a trick with flurocarbon that may help you out a bit. always have a roll off electrical tape or some duct tape on hand and pull your line through the gluey part a few times then tie your knot. it takes some practice but seems to work.

i just know what to expect from mono,, you can actually feel a snag coming loose a bit easier too. if they make a smaller diameter mono i will be in heaven, but thats a drawback that i'm willing to suffer.

Try/checkout Tectan line much thinner per pound/diameter.

BeeGuy
05-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Use mono for leaders and ridiculous monster rigs all the time.

If I had an ultralight set-up, I would probably run mono on it.

Each application has tradeoffs, and as noted, there are some advantages when trolling and also when fishing for soft-mouthed fish.

Spawn
05-27-2014, 11:19 PM
i just went back to using mono on every rod from a few years of flurocarbon and a few years before that it was braid. but i'm now back to mono as i like the stretch and some of the newer coated monos are quite fluro like in slickness but still have that play in the line. its an age thing too, started with mono and as my fishing evolved we try new things, i guess even mono had to evolve. i'll stick to the fluoro for ice fishing trout and braid for icing pike. if you know how to work your mono memory isnt a problem anymore.

any other mono lovers
Whats is also cool about the mono line now is you can get it with really low memory. You pay slightly more than the cheap stuff but from what I've heard from you, Spinning with mono and using braided and such for ice fishing works for me also. I'm on board for mono!

Spawn

catnthehat
05-28-2014, 06:03 AM
I have one rod rigged with a sspider wire, but most of my line is either triline or old school dacron for my vintage bait casters.
Cat

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
I love the mono. .. its the best. Braid cuts your hands

RavYak
05-28-2014, 02:56 PM
I love the mono. .. its the best. Braid cuts your hands

Handlining??? Not sure why you would cut your hands if using a reel...

Speckle55
05-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I used mono always have never quit

my spin casts have Berkley mono on them

even got paid by Berkley for using their line when catching a WR in 1986
got paid in 1987
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2014/user20496_pic4308_1326904402_zpsafa32188.jpg

David:)

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Handlining??? Not sure why you would cut your hands if using a reel...

maybe ice fishing or the odd time you have to grab the line. braid goes through skin like a hot knife thru butter.

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Tightening knots, grabbing the line when your cradling a 45 inch pike alone ... You wouldn't know anything about that though, i have seen your pics... They look like bait to me...oHandlining??? Not sure why you would cut your hands if using a reel...

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
maybe ice fishing or the odd time you have to grab the line. Braid goes through skin like a hot knife thru butter.

x200000

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 04:55 PM
$2000 in 1987 that's awesome.. on the brookie record? ?

maybe ice fishing or the odd time you have to grab the line. braid goes through skin like a hot knife thru butter.

I used mono always have never quit

my spin casts have Berkley mono on them

even got paid by Berkley for using their line when catching a WR in 1986
got paid in 1987
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2014/user20496_pic4308_1326904402_zpsafa32188.jpg

Speckle55
05-28-2014, 05:17 PM
no it was a IGFA line class World Record 3# 5 oz Rocky Mountain Whitefish on 12# Berkley Triline Athabasca River Aug 5 1986 where the Snaring runs in Jasper National Park

the brookie 12#13oz was 1984 June 28 on 8 # Triline mono Maligne Lake Jasper National Park

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2014/user20496_pic4307_1326904402_zps70f1ae1a.jpg

$2000 in 1987 that's awesome.. on the brookie record? ?

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 05:42 PM
That thing is a tank. I have fished the exact spot before as well.
no it was a IGFA line class World Record 3# 5 oz Rocky Mountain Whitefish on 12# Berkley Triline Athabasca River Aug 5 1986 where the Snaring runs in Jasper National Park

the brookie 12#13oz was 1984 June 28 on 8 # Triline mono Maligne Lake Jasper National Park

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2014/user20496_pic4307_1326904402_zps70f1ae1a.jpg

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 05:50 PM

hold on, 3 lb 5 oz rmw on 12 lb test is a record. no offense but how or why is that a record?

AppleJax
05-28-2014, 05:53 PM
hold on, 3 lb 5 oz rmw on 12 lb test is a record. no offense but how or why is that a record?

Line class world record.

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Line class world record.

i know but 12 lb test sounds extreme, in this case i have broken hundreds of records, its not the thing i think about on the water.

AppleJax
05-28-2014, 06:23 PM
i know but 12 lb test sounds extreme, in this case i have broken hundreds of records, its not the thing i think about on the water.

No offence but I don't think you have... Sounds like a fishing story to me. Speckle is a world class angler IMO. Multiple works records.

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 06:32 PM
No offence but I don't think you have... Sounds like a fishing story to me. Speckle is a world class angler IMO. Multiple works records.

well based on his post i have and i know that many others have too. some people fish to get in the books, some dont, if i started focussing on how the record system works, then i'd understand how 12 lb test becomes a class line record for an rmw, maybe speckle will fill it in on how it works.

and why would i be a fish story and someone else not. 1 million fishermen in alberta probably have a canon of amazing experiences, how many factual experiences are on these forums, they just arent formalised under a notary like the guiness books. all the best to speckle and his getting out of fishing what he wants from it, but to discredit someone for not getting a fish notarised as a lousy fisherman is strange thinking.

AppleJax
05-28-2014, 06:39 PM
I did not discredit you or say you were a lousy fisherman. You were the one who implied the discredit to Speckle. No strange thinking going on here..... David will fill in the particulars on line class records and then maybe you will understand. There is a lot of technicalities to the process.

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 06:43 PM
I did not discredit you or say you were a lousy fisherman. You were the one who implied the discredit to Speckle. No strange thinking going on here..... David will fill in the particulars on line class records and then maybe you will understand. There is a lot of technicalities to the process.

my apologies, i misread you. i'm interested in what constitutes a line record, i just have no interest in being a record maker. for me it's nice fish and bye bye, or sizzle sizzle. and i wasn't discrediting speckle, it just seems 12 lb as a bit extreme line for a rocky.

binnzer32
05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Yea 12lb test is lots of poundage for line but a 3.5lb rocky is an absolute tank...... if he was using 20lb test it still probably would have been a record. .

my apologies, i misread you. i'm interested in what constitutes a line record, i just have no interest in being a record maker. for me it's nice fish and bye bye, or sizzle sizzle. and i wasn't discrediting speckle, it just seems 12 lb as a bit extreme line for a rocky.

Speckle55
05-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Here is the story in mid 1980s Berkley did a promotion that if you caught a WR line class or all tackle they would give you 1000$ if it lasted for the rest of the year if you used their line (they had a sticker on packages of line)
in 1985 or 6 they also said that if you used their new Lighting Rod they would give you a 1000$ too

so I looked in the record book IGFA(had to be IGFA only) and saw that they had added a new line class division of 12# for RMWF and that the record was 2#12oz for RMWF which I thought I could beat it here as Art Dunn (late) and other local anglers had caught up to 5#3 in Jasper National Park and around Hinton

so in April of 1986 I started my quest of get a RMWF to beat the 12# record.. I had a new son so my time limited abit but I put in about 60 days or part days and on August 5 1986:47b20s0: I caught a Rocky mountain Whitefish that beat the record on 12# line and it lasted about 18 months

after filling in all the paper work and sending it away I received notification that I had a new line class World Record for my Rocky .. then I received a note from Berkley that mine was entered in their program

in 1987 I received the check photo copied in picture and took it to my bank and asked my manager what the exchange rate was on this 2000$ cheque
she said it was worth 2623$ Canadian so I ask her if she could photo copy my cheque before I took it to a teller and cashed it ..

the first thing I bought was a plastic trike for my boy

so for fishing with Berkley line and rod and catching a line class World Record I got my name in the record books again and helped pay for all the gas and hooks/equipment I used

Who said fishing doesn't pay:sHa_shakeshout:

Omega Oils too:sSig_cool2:

Food for Thought

Speckle55
05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Here is Art Dunn's (late)World Record Rocky Mountain Whitefish

thanks Bill
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2014/cid_inlineImage0_zpsfb8f3caf.jpg

allenford
05-30-2014, 04:02 PM
awesome story David! thanks for sharing.

jackrabbit000
05-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Mono is all I ever use. Stren Golden Yellow line, 10# test. I think I have 10,000 yds of it.

Great story David, thanks for posting the pics.