PDA

View Full Version : Reel Question

Cory1
05-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, looking for some thoughts and input on a new reel.

Specifically looking for some advantages and disadvantages of a baitcasting reel compared to a spinning reel.

I've strictly been a spinning reel kind of guy, but figure nows an opportunity to see of I'm missing out on something or if it really is just a personal preference.

Target fish would be pike, walleye, and trout.

Any and all comments are appreciated,
Cory

Crankbait
05-25-2014, 02:03 PM
give it a go, always try a new set up as it may be something that works in a different department for you, you may buy it for pike but love it more for walleye. but heed my warning, when you buy a set up have a salesman help you who fishes with a baitcaster to teach you the ins and outs of enjoying your learning curve. dont just take the word of a salesman who doesnt use baitcast tacklle. your first question when buying must be, do you use a baitcast set up? youtube probably has a baitcast for beginners vid.

EZM
05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
I use both - The baitcaster generally, will cast further and generally have smoother drags when compared to spinning reels.

They are, however, more expensive and harder to learn how to use. Some people seem to get frustrated with them.

The big advantage to me is precision casting, as with some practice you can brake the spool with your thumb to land the lure in the perfect spot ....... it's also more comfortable to hold if you are making many casts.

Geezle
05-26-2014, 08:07 AM
I think EZM covered it pretty good...they'll both do the job but are slightly different creatures.

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve with baitcast reels and while you're learning they can sometimes be frustrating and I think that's where a lot of people give up on them.

Also, as EZM pointed out, on average baitcast reels are a little more expensive than spinning reels, and although there are some less expensive baitcast reels out there, the cheap ones really are more hassle than they're worth.

Going back to the OP, I use baitcast reels for pretty much all my open water fishing except for trout...typically trout lures are too light for a baitcast reel to cast properly.

The Reel Deal
05-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Time and place for both.

I don't like jigging with my baitcaster, and I cant cast light lures. Guys got it right above, you gotta spend the money to get anything worth using. Shimano Curado is a good starting point.
I found the centrifical brake systems on shimano to be the best anti backlash system.

Geezle
05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Time and place for both.

I don't like jigging with my baitcaster, and I cant cast light lures. Guys got it right above, you gotta spend the money to get anything worth using. Shimano Curado is a good starting point.
I found the centrifical brake systems on shimano to be the best anti backlash system.

My Curado is one of the nicer reels I own...I don't think you have to go quite that expensive to start out.

I do feel though that you should likely be spending around $100 for what I would consider a decent entry level reel...Something like the Shimano Caenan.

Or for ease of learning put together a river bait fishing rig with a big round baitcast reel like a Shimano Corvalus or Abu Garcia C3 or C4 and a heavy (2-3oz) weight...I've found this to be the most forgiving for learning to use a baitcast reel. Once you've got the big one figured out you can start playing with the low profile casting reels.

cube
05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
For the reasons the guys above aluded to: if you only plan on taking one rod and reel with you on a particular day, do not take the bait caster.

ie small or low density lures cast poorly with bait casters. Casting into the wind with low density lures wil cause high numbers of rats nests, especially if the wind is gustly.

I use both and unless I know I'm going to just fish with high desity lures I will bring both casting and spinning gear.

Hooker
05-26-2014, 10:40 AM
I've used bait caster reels all my life. I also use spinning reels. When I started fishing with bait casting reels the only brake on them was your thumb and it was your thumb that kept the rats' nests away. Now, with the braking systems that have been developed you almost never get a backlash in your line. The trick is this ... snap on your lure ... tighten down the drag and open the spool release. The lure shouldn't drop. Now ... slowly slack off the drag until the lure slowly drops to the water under its own weight. When it does that you should only have to use your thumb to stop the lure after casting to where you want it to land. You should do this adjustment with every lure change. It may take a little longer but it's a lot better than trying to untangle a line snarl.

As for which reel is better (a bait caster or spinning reel) it's usually a matter of preference. When fishing for large fish use a stronger (usually larger) reel. Don't buy cheap. It could ruin your fishing trip. Look for a reel with lots of bearings. I used to fish with a guy who always bought cheap. His reel would crater every trip and it was always when he had a big fish on. I usually ended up having to loan him my spare.

TrophyPikeHunter
05-26-2014, 03:25 PM
After being a spinning reel only guy, I took the plunge and bought an Abu Garcia Revo SX ($170 last year) & an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod ($60 last year) and I find it actually works quite well with smaller, light weight lures and I'm far from an expert with it. Bear in mind, these two items were specifically designed to be paired together so no doubt that helps. It will absolutely take my small gear further than my spinning reel will and is now my weapon of choice on any given day.

Cory1
05-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Sounds likes the things to be aware of is:
1) proper lure weighting of the rod/reel for the application
2) plays a niche role in a fishermans arsenal and to bring a spare if you want to stray from that role.
3) steep learning curve.

That said I plan on making a trip later this week to pick one up to pair with a GL2 rod.

Cory

Cory1
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Ended up with a Quantum Smoke for the GL2 783 I got off a buddy.

210 for the reel and 90 for the rod, now just need to put in the time to see how she works.

Les at WSS in Calgary was quite helpful with the reel selection

Feesher
05-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Sounds likes the things to be aware of is:
1) proper lure weighting of the rod/reel for the application
2) plays a niche role in a fishermans arsenal and to bring a spare if you want to stray from that role.
3) steep learning curve.

That said I plan on making a trip later this week to pick one up to pair with a GL2 rod.

Cory

I also have both spinning and BC reels, but it was only this ice season I bought my first bait caster , I went with an Abu Garcia C4 , and I absolutely love it, I didn't find the learning curve to be massive, but it was not what I was used too, now I prefer my bait cast setups ....... My whole life I had used spinning reels , now since my Abu , I will be changing a few of my outfits

Cory1
05-29-2014, 10:15 PM
I also have both spinning and BC reels, but it was only this ice season I bought my first bait caster , I went with an Abu Garcia C4 , and I absolutely love it, I didn't find the learning curve to be massive, but it was not what I was used too, now I prefer my bait cast setups ....... My whole life I had used spinning reels , now since my Abu , I will be changing a few of my outfits

Hopefully I have the same experience as you!

Cory1
06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Took it out on Friday to my back yard, Saturday to the lake casting weights, and sunday to the lake fishing for real....

Think I developed tendinitis in my knuckle from pulling the line out of the reel from all the backlash I was getting!:angry3::angry3:

Was getting better as we went, but still was about 25% of casts ending with nasty backlash... Don't think the wind helped things, but I was too stubborn to switch rods.

Will give it another couple shots this weekend!

EZM
06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Took it out on Friday to my back yard, Saturday to the lake casting weights, and sunday to the lake fishing for real....

Think I developed tendinitis in my knuckle from pulling the line out of the reel from all the backlash I was getting!:angry3::angry3:

Was getting better as we went, but still was about 25% of casts ending with nasty backlash... Don't think the wind helped things, but I was too stubborn to switch rods.

Will give it another couple shots this weekend!

Tighten up the brakes ( the spring switches and pins behind the round cover thingy ) and the back lashes will reduce. It won't cast as far, but at least you will be casting not untangling line all day. Check your manual - on some reels the entire cover plate comes off, on others there is a dial only.

As you get better, snap back the brakes 2 at a time until she is free spooling and you are using your thumb to control the spool.

Before you know it you will be Babe Winkleman .............