PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to wedge pond this year yet?

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Just wondering. ..wanna scratch arctic grayling off the list. Beautiful fish they are. I hear pale morning duns work well there?

pipercub17
05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Fished it on sat
Its low but fishing good
Small nymphs worked good

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Under an indicator? Sounds good thanks

pipercub17
05-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Yep under the indicator

The O-Fish-al Fisherman
05-27-2014, 07:49 AM
I'll probably try a copper John or something then. Thank you

crawad
06-28-2014, 10:19 AM
how deep below the indicator? little buggers are frustrating me, I've been there four times and caught two, lots rising for emergers i'm guessing but they r having there way with me
any advice would be appreciated

Flieguy
06-28-2014, 11:04 AM
how deep below the indicator? little buggers are frustrating me, I've been there four times and caught two, lots rising for emergers i'm guessing but they r having there way with me
any advice would be appreciated

I haven't heard of people catching more than a few each time at wedge. Keep experimenting with flies, maybe look for bugs in the water to imitate.

crawad
06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
haha. the only success I've had was with a green scud imitation, they sure are frustrating. I've been fly fishing for 30 years and its been my favorite frustration, but usually I can get some sort of pattern over time but these little buggers are owning me! thanks for the help and take care

goldscud
06-29-2014, 06:54 PM
How big are the grayling this year?

badger
06-29-2014, 09:27 PM
When you are there during a chironomid hatch, any reasonable replica under an indicator will get many of them. It is fun to watch them move to the fly and take it. Throw the fly into the area with the most rising fish and just wait. Otherwise a small leech stripped slowly works all the time. You need a boat or tube, two weeks after ice off they are mostly in 20+ feet of water. First week of June this year, I was catching last year's stocking at 9 to 10", and a few that are two years old at 14" or so. Several years ago you could get a 3+ year old fish at 15 to 17".

jacenbeers
06-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I was there last year and catching just a few here and there and this one guy was catching them back to back. I talked to him and he was using a yellow dry fly that was really small. I had a similar fly so I chucked it out and caught a bunch. Every other cast I was successful. Since then it is all I use there and I have been successful. I will be there tomorrow after I leave Chester to try it out again.

ironbutterfly
07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I was there last weekend for maybe 4 hours. I did catch one. I took a float out and nymphed small flies for a while with not even a hit. Finally I switched to a small mosquito fly and I got hits. Fish was maybe 6 inches?