PDA

View Full Version : Share your fish recipes here (looking for Salmon and Halibut mostly)

FallAirFever
05-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Well in less than 48 hours I will be on my way to fish with Jamie and the gang at GPSL!

I am hoping to be coming back with a cooler full of fish. I don't often cook fish but I take great enjoyment and pride out of feeding my family with game I have been lucky enough to tag.

So please share your favorite recipes with me, I have a smoker, I love grilling on the BBQ and have even been known to use a stove or oven so share them all.

On another note I have also been encouraging my wife to bye fish and cook it for dinner, so far it has been basic fillets with some spices done in the oven but we'd like to expand our horizons here as well so any recipes, links ideas etc are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike_W
05-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Salmon I have about 2- 3 times a week. I really like old bay, salt, pepper and pan fried or grilled with olive oil. I always cook with skin on, it holds in the fats I will cook 75% through on skin side then I will flip and peel off the skin season the fatty side of both fish and skin then flip back and allow the fat to render and serve. You are left with a beautiful moist, fatty salmon fillet and a nice crispy salmon skin!!!

Halibut is pretty decent and will take any seasoning and grilling quite well but with any fish DO NOT OVERCOOK!!

Tell Jamie to get you into some Lingcod they are dang good and my wifes favorite fish bar none. Myself ....I love me Salmon but I enjoy it all!!!

dcutter
05-26-2014, 02:36 PM
When you get there, make sure you get Jamie's recipe for smoked salmon. It will change your life!!! :)

Here is the link to his recipe:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=186524

Jamie
05-26-2014, 03:39 PM
When you get there, make sure you get Jamie's recipe for smoked salmon. It will change your life!!! :)

Here is the link to his recipe:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=186524

I can not wait to start smoking again. All my spices and stuff is waiting at the Bus station. I just need to grab them.

Perhaps some this weekend and I have some pay it forwards to send out.
I am going to try smoking Halibut as well.

Jamie

omega50
05-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Well in less than 48 hours I will be on my way to fish with Jamie and the gang at GPSL!

I am hoping to be coming back with a cooler full of fish. I don't often cook fish but I take great enjoyment and pride out of feeding my family with game I have been lucky enough to tag.

So please share your favorite recipes with me, I have a smoker, I love grilling on the BBQ and have even been known to use a stove or oven so share them all.

On another note I have also been encouraging my wife to bye fish and cook it for dinner, so far it has been basic fillets with some spices done in the oven but we'd like to expand our horizons here as well so any recipes, links ideas etc are appreciated.

Thanks!!. Easier to show you than describe a complex procedure. I would be happy to show you some filleting/cooking tips and tricks once you get back.
-130F flavored oil poaching.
-Boneless Salmon Steaks with a Basil Parmesan Crust etc. etc
No strings attached.

silverdoctor
05-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Favorite way to have salmon or trout is on the grill. I despise the idea of burying the fish in spices and sauces, especially if you're bringing back fresh BC salmon.

Fillet with skin on, skin down on the grill, high heat, doesn't take long. Use a little salt/pepper and a bit of lemon juice. The skin will burn but the meat and fat will flake off nicely.

Wild&Free
05-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Favorite way to have salmon or trout is on the grill. I despise the idea of burying the fish in spices and sauces, especially if you're bringing back fresh BC salmon.

Fillet with skin on, skin down on the grill, high heat, doesn't take long. Use a little salt/pepper and a bit of lemon juice. The skin will burn but the meat and fat will flake off nicely.

I like doing salmon in steaks vs. fillets, but this man has it right. hot oil, pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. mmmmmm

My dad does a fillet on the grill with some salsa and parmesan cheese on top. turned out good, just a bit tricky getting it off the grill.

J D
05-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Still working through my fish supply I brought home from my charter in Port Hardy last Sept :D

A few simple but good ways I like to cook them.

Halibut

1) Cut it into 3 inch cubes
Cajun spice, salt, pepper, and wrap it in bacon
Throw it in the oven till done.

2) Dip it in a mix of egg and milk
Shake in a mix of flour, parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper
Pan fry in 50/50 olive oil and butter

Salmon

1)Marinade in soya sauce, brown sugar, and a little ginger
Cooked on the BBQ with some cherry wood.

2)Cover in Italian salad dressing, onions, and pepper
cooked in the oven.

Ling

1)Lemon pepper, basil, dill, garlic powder and salt mixed with flour. Shake fish in mix
Pan fry in 50/50 olive oil and butter

2) deep fry in your favourite batter is always good

So many options really and the recipes used for ling and halibut work for both along with any rockfish

FallAirFever
05-27-2014, 09:40 AM
. Easier to show you than describe a complex procedure. I would be happy to show you some filleting/cooking tips and tricks once you get back.
-130F flavored oil poaching.
-Boneless Salmon Steaks with a Basil Parmesan Crust etc. etc
No strings attached.

Well Omega I will be taking you up on your gracious offer! Thank-you, I would love to learn from a master, your food threads on here are some of my favorites.

There are some great ideas here so far, please everyone keep them coming I would love to make fish a more accepted part of the diet around my house, not that I dont love beef, chicken and especially pork but fish can be so good for you I would like to feed my family it more often.

The Fisherman Guy
05-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Maple Bacon Wrapped Hali:

Half cook bacon in the oven on baking sheet, so it's still flexible.

Cut Halibut into cubes, about the size of a walnut.

Wrap a slice of bacon around each cube and secure with a toothpick or sprig of rosemary.

Sear in hot skillet, just before finished, drizzle maple syrup over top.

Eat for breakfast.

Good luck and tight lines FAF!