PDA

View Full Version : Question re: possesion

tonycanevaro
05-27-2014, 04:18 PM
So was reading the regs.
"The number of fish of each species you may possess at
the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is
equal to a 1-day limit at the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

So,
If I read this right, if the limit for possession of Pike is 3 and you have two at home in your freezer you can only keep one more.

Is this correct?

Bound2Fish
05-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Yes, you are correct.

DiabeticKripple
05-27-2014, 04:23 PM
So was reading the regs.
"The number of fish of each species you may possess at
the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is
equal to a 1-day limit at the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

So,
If I read this right, if the limit for possession of Pike is 3 and you have two at home in your freezer you can only keep one more.

Is this correct?

if you fished the same lake yes.

tonycanevaro
05-27-2014, 04:25 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.
Our family used to freeze a lot of fish and keep it for the off season.

sigh

Like, boggles my brain.

tonycanevaro
05-27-2014, 04:25 PM
How would they know if you caught this frozen pike in PCR and that one in Keho....

Seems completely untenable

Northern Yaker
05-27-2014, 04:26 PM
if you fished the same lake yes.

Doesn't matter if you fished the same lake or not, If you have 2 in the freezer, you an only keep one more, regardless of lake fished.

DiabeticKripple
05-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Doesn't matter if you fished the same lake or not, If you have 2 in the freezer, you an only keep one more, regardless of lake fished.

only because the provincial possession limit is 3 for pike.

if you fished a trout lake that only allows 3 rainbows, you can only keep 3 rainbows from that lake in your possession.

Northern Yaker
05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
only because the provincial possession limit is 3 for pike.

if you fished a trout lake that only allows 3 rainbows, you can only keep 3 rainbows from that lake in your possession.

Correct... He was just using pike as his example is all.

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.
Our family used to freeze a lot of fish and keep it for the off season.

sigh

Like, boggles my brain.

This is not a "new" rule per se....

LC

Crankbait
05-27-2014, 04:41 PM
It's an honor system, whether people honor it is altogether something else. it's rare today to have honor systems, or where enforcers trust us to enforce the regs. by the reading of your later posts on the subject, it appears you would prefer harvest, stock the freezer. instead of jumping at your throat with a negative response, maybe you could look into how a domestic license works. or maybe you can find a private pond and make arrangements for harvest. you could also just eat your fresh possession before heading out again.

Crankbait
05-27-2014, 04:46 PM
This is not a "new" rule per se....

LC

not new at all, its been on the books since the regs used to come in a car visor size (anybody that old on here?). i think there were two day limit possession though on some fish like rockies, which totalled 30 in the 70's but possession laws have always been round.

tonycanevaro
05-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Before everyone gets their panties further twisted:
1) I've fished since before I can remember I fished. It was in Sask.
2) if I go out two or three times per year and want to have fish to eat. I really can't put fish away for a rainy day here.
3) I'm not advocating "harvest" fishing. Just what I consider to be normal sport fishing. Which is keeping what you are allowed to and eating it.
4) every time I read the regs I get the distinct impression that Alberta f&w don't want you to catch fish let alone keep them.

For example I just returned from sask. With my allowable possession limit for walleye and pike. That limit is higher than what's allowed here. How does that work.

It's just stoopid in my opinion. Feel free to blast away.

rororor
05-27-2014, 05:46 PM
It is called supply and demand. Fewer lakes and way more people in alberta.

Dak1138
05-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Is this the first time you read the regs?
I think if your fish is stocked with the maximum allowed fish from Saskatchewan plus fish from Alberta you may be over the maximum possession limit.
And it is spelled "stupid" not " stoopid" .

tonycanevaro
05-27-2014, 07:38 PM
No, it's not the first time I read the regs. First time I noticed this sentence.
The only fish in my freezer is from the trip to Sask.

Are you really correcting my spelling? "Stoopid" is a widely accepted sarcastic spelling when you wish to state the obvious.

Whatever folks, I'll abide by the laws, this is just a sucky province to fish and hunt compared to what I grew up with.

Crankbait
05-27-2014, 07:45 PM
this is just a sucky province to fish and hunt compared to what I grew up with.

well its what we have, access of little to many people. make best with what you have and it still can be enjoyable. i went fishing yesterday, caught 40 and kept one for supper. how do you like other aspects of alberta?

hal53
05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
No, it's not the first time I read the regs. First time I noticed this sentence.
The only fish in my freezer is from the trip to Sask.

Are you really correcting my spelling? "Stoopid" is a widely accepted sarcastic spelling when you wish to state the obvious.

Whatever folks, I'll abide by the laws, this is just a sucky province to fish and hunt compared to what I grew up with.
is that road out of Sask still only one way???

RagingPenguin
05-27-2014, 08:52 PM
is that road out of Sask still only one way???
:cheers:

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2014, 09:08 PM

I grew up here and I agree....it was way better before the population grew so much....

So if it sucks so bad here.....umm why bother? :)

Compared to other provinces Alberta is lacking in fishable lakes and is excelling at the number of fisherman coming here.

LC

BBT
05-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Looks like Saskatchewan has the same retention rules as Alberta if I'm reading the regs right. Can't upload the PDF here but have look.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=7cacbaff-a9ff-4fcc-8562-9143eaf2f184

Also best of luck proving the fish in your freezer came from Sask if you ever get checked.

RavYak
05-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Looks like Saskatchewan has the same retention rules as Alberta if I'm reading the regs right. Can't upload the PDF here but have look.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=7cacbaff-a9ff-4fcc-8562-9143eaf2f184

Also best of luck proving the fish in your freezer came from Sask if you ever get checked.

Sask changed it a few years ago, they used to have possession double your daily limits but not anymore.

Biggest difference between AB and SK is that in Sask there are lakes you can take fish home from and reasonable limits to feed more then one person. When I keep fish I am usually using it to feed 3 people and it can be difficult to do so here in AB.

I understand that there is more pressure here and that the limits are somewhat necessary but it is frustrating when you come from another location you could keep a meal from. Especially when the fishing in multiple lakes around here are better then out in Sask(for numbers and size of fish).

Ken07AOVette
05-27-2014, 10:28 PM

If you have AB and SK licenses there likely will not be an issue. You are legally allowed to have the fish you in effect paid for.

DiabeticKripple
05-27-2014, 10:32 PM
If you have AB and SK licenses there likely will not be an issue. You are legally allowed to have the fish you in effect paid for.

now heres a million dollar question.

are you legally allowed to double the AB provinical possession limits, by fishing in SK and keeping your limit there as long as you had proof?

im saying its not legal

Bushmonkey
05-27-2014, 10:35 PM
How would they know if you caught this frozen pike in PCR and that one in Keho....

Seems completely untenable

Beleive it or not, F and W can do genetic testing on the fish to determine which lake they came from.

Kyle
05-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out