PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 question

The Rog Man
11-02-2008, 01:00 PM
This may be a dumb question but as I do not know the answer i will ask.
I think i bent the barrel(don't ask) on my Ruger 10/22 and am considering putting the bull barrel in it's place.
Do I have to change the factory stock too do this?
Is there any type of modification required ??

Selkirk
11-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing you'll need a new stock as well. It might just be easier to buy a new rifle??? Check with a good gunsmith, before proceeding.

Whatever you do, DON'T throw that bent barrel away ... it will be great for shooting around corners! :lol:

Good Luck!

Dean

The Rog Man
11-02-2008, 01:12 PM
It's not bent that bad that it can shoot around corners but not accurate enough to continue using it.
I am hoping someone on the forum has done this or atleast knows for sure the answer too my question..

Trophy Hunter
11-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Might not be bent. Have had 4 of these semi auto's over the years lucky to hit a coke can at 50 yards.... Brutal for accuracy but fun to shoot...

I now have the Ruger 77/22 you can still use a 25 shot clip.But the action is a bolt.
You can shoot a dime size group at 50 yards.

The bull barrel won't fit on your gun without some work

shooter
11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
You will need a new stock for the gun if you put a target barrel on it. There is no nice way to fit a factory stock with the bull barrel. Some of the butler creek stock are about $100.00. No fitting required. Also look at the Hogue Stocks as they are very nice.

And if you need a new barrel.... I have just the item!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21866

The Rog Man
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Might not be bent. Have had 4 of these semi auto's over the years lucky to hit a coke can at 50 yards.... Brutal for accuracy but fun to shoot...

I now have the Ruger 77/22 you can still use a 25 shot clip.But the action is a bolt.
You can shoot a dime size group at 50 yards.

The bull barrel won't fit on your gun without some work

Well i beg too differ on the accuracy issue.
This .22 has been very accurate up until i took a stupid pill.
I consistantly shot the heads off thumb tacs at 25 meters with this rifle with the stock barrel right up too the point that stupidity took over.
I just thought that there are sooo many plug and play parts for this particular .22 that it might be time for a target barrel is all. if i have to change too much i may just go with another stock barrel.

Mulestalker
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
RM, I have a take off Ruger 10/22 barrel collecting dust,you can have it if you want,I couldn't get the thing to shoot more than 6" at 50yrds but your welcome to try it? Just a thought,pm me if needed.

wannabe
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
it is very easy to remove the barrel and replace it with a heavy barrel. If you have a wood stock you can easily widen the barrel channel. mine shoots nickel sized groups at 50 yards with a carbon fiber butler creek barrel.

The Rog Man
11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
A carbon fibre barrel you say? hmmm
The prob is i have spent way too much on this .22 in accessories already.
I'm scared too ask what the carbon barrel set you back?
what all was involved in fitting that barrel to a factory stock?

wannabe
11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
$$ for the barrel? well not as much as you think. I caught someone in a time of desperation. it's super light too. i've been thinking of getting a heavy barrel, i like the feel of the extra weight.

as far as the stock it was a 20 year old ruger so i took a mitre saw to the channel and opened it up:lol: you can do a pretty good job if you take your time. or spend some more time with a piece of dowling and some sand paper.
it serves it's purposes until i get my heavy barreled stock
here's a sneek peek(fitted for the 10/22 obviously)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/cdaynap/axiom.jpg

The Rog Man
11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh my !!!!!

Virgil
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I put a very nice laminate stock on my 10/22 when I went with a bull barrel. I ordered the stock from rimfire sports in the USA.

Look into a Green Mountain barrels. I'm very pleased with mine. I ordered it from the States but the company no longer shippes barrel here. Good luck.

Jeromeo
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
It's not bent that bad that it can shoot around corners but not accurate enough to continue using it.
I am hoping someone on the forum has done this or atleast knows for sure the answer too my question..

Maybe it's the ammunition you're shooting?? My 10/22 is picky on ammo. Shoots cci mini-mags perfectly as well as Winchester Dynapoints. Federal shoots like garbage out of my 10/22.
Regardless if you want a heavy barrel put on you'll need a new stock or you'll have to modify the old one. There is a few heavy barrel and stock kits on wholesale sports here's the link http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10910033012480/~pcategory=10910033
Cheapest is 209 which isn't too bad for a barrel and stock.

The Rog Man
11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Jeromeo;207215]Maybe it's the ammunition you're shooting?? My 10/22 is picky on ammo.

I know it's not the ammo. the rifle was the victim of quad /bush abuse.
We were blazing a new trail around a soup hole and the barrel was sticking out a tiny bit past my roll over bar and a tree snagged it.It was removed from my quad rifle fingers rather rudely and slammed into a tree. it was just one of those brain fart / too close too a stupid tree/ not payin enuff attention pushin bush with a quad days....

shirtr
11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Rog,
If you want a stock barrel for your 22 send me a pm. I have one that was a take off from a 10/22 I modded. It will be cheap cheap cheap.

The Rog Man
11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm actually leaning towards the composite barrel and aftermarket stock?
my only question is, can the composite barrel take rapid fire abuse?? Anyone????

wannabe
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
keep in mind that the butler creek "carbon fiber" barrels are hit and miss, mostly miss from what i've researched. and they have to be mounted completely free floated from v-block. this is the only way mine will shoot good groups. they are ideal for all day walking and shooting though.

The Rog Man
11-05-2008, 08:05 PM
The more i look into this rifle the more i am scepticle about putting more money into it?
Maybe i got a good one from the start as it has been one of the most accurate .22's i have ever owned, I have accessorized it too death but that one act of stupidity in the bush and now i just don't know what too do ??
Even on other forums i hear the same thing that the aftermarket barrels are a coin toss as to whether you get a dudd or not?
I really like this compact little .22 but i am starting too wonder whether to spend any more on it???

shirtr
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
One of my modded 10/22's in now into the $1K mark, but it shoots fanatastic now. I put on a green mountain barrel, boyd stock, titanium action, trigger, power custom base etc. I also stripped and polished the action.
There are no limits to the amount of work and $$'s to spend on these damn things. Good thing the shells are cheap.

The Rog Man
11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Well i am certainly not gonna be dumping that kinda dough into a grouse/gopher gun. Someone has offered me a factory barrel if i buy him a beer so i think i'll take him up on his offer and hope it shoots good afterwards. if not it may be time to look at something else for a plinker rifle?
It's a shame if it comes too that after all the stupid accessories i have for this rifle. oh well thats how the cookie crumbles i spose.?

The Rog Man
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
So if the Butler Creek barrels and stock combo's are questionable, what barrel/stock combo's are left that a guy can get in Canada?
Or even just a barrel for that matter?
who makes a reasonably priced aftermarket barrel that a Canadian can get ahold of?

wannabe
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I have heard good things from ALL aftermarket barrels and stock EXCEPT the butler creek carbon fiber barrel.
these guys do green mountain barrels http://www.bitsofpieces.com/ (out of vancouver)
or a butler creek stock/barrel combo from cabelas.ca

better yet if you like the standard factory barrel just use it. the older barrels are much better than current production ones.

The Rog Man
11-06-2008, 10:24 PM
That link didn't work, are you sure it is correct?
took the /(out from the url and then it worked.
got an e-mail into them . see what they say.
thanx

wannabe
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
works fine:)

Pinhead
11-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Rog Man,

I have a 10/22 and I love it. Getting stocks and barrels in from the US is still possible. Stocks are easier than barrels. I bought a Boyd's Blaster stock (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com) and a Whistle Pig Barrel from http://www.wpgbc.com. It cost me about $350US. Their barrels are aluminum with a moly alloy steel liner. They are very light! Anways they are one company that will ship to Canada. For what the B&C is going to cost you, there are other options. By the way my gun shot the first 3 rounds, after sighting in, into a ragged hole at 25 yards, later that day a couple chickens were shot easily up to 50 yards - all head shots.

If you need more info PM me

Dan

Kevin R.
11-27-2008, 06:20 PM
This might have covered already, I don't know as I just joined this forum.
Is the Butler Creek plain (not fluted) target barrel any better then the stock 10\22 target barrel?
I don't have a 10/22 right now,but I would like to do one up. So far it seems to make sence just to order a Butler Creek stock/barrel combo from Wholesale sports and just a plain gun to get the action. I don't really like the stock on the standard target 10/22. I will do a trigger at a later date.
Thanks.
Kevin.

BigBuck$
11-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry to invade your original post but I saw a .17HMR barrell for one of these rifles, I think you need the .22mag version of the 10/22 to start out with. I was just currious if anyone has installed one of these barrells yet???