PDA

View Full Version : sand in reel

Gslice
05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
1. Caught big rainbow
2. Got overly giddy
3. Dropped reel in sand
4. Dead reel

Are there any special cleaning lubricants for this type of mess? I tried rinsing, drying and re-lubricating and it didn't seem to work.

BeeGuy
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
1. Where did you catch it?
2. What style of reel?
3. Have you ever taken a reel completely apart?

I take my reels apart at least 2-3 times per season to clean and service, oil & grease them.

I think if you do this, your reel will be fine.

It is not a mission for all people however, esp. if you are not somewhat mechanically inclined to deal with small screws, gears, bearings and so on.

If you have a popular model of reel, you may find maintenance videos on youtube.

the local angler
05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
i agree with beeguy, i recently did a similar thing with my reel (shakespeare durango 2235rd) dropped it in the sand/dirt on the red deer river, and the key thing is to go on the internet or if you still have it the factory exploded diagram handy. if its like a spinning reel with the drag on the bottom of the reel then its fairly easy to take apart clean out the sand and grease and re-grease it. the clutch/drag is a bunch of metal discs and clutch pads. if you have a digital camera use it like i do. i snap a pic every time i take a part off as reference if i forget.

RavYak
05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Have to take it completely apart, rinse and dry parts then lubricate necessary parts.

The Reel Deal
05-28-2014, 08:07 AM
The manufacturer will have schematics on their site. Get some precision screw drivers and a set of cheap dental pics from princess auto, brake clean, 3 in 1 oil and synthetic grease.
Take your time, it's not hard - good luck!

Gslice
05-28-2014, 02:39 PM
quantum smoke spinning reel. I've taken it apart and cleaned it but it's still grindy. Anyone ever tried spraying WD40 on this?

RavYak
05-28-2014, 02:48 PM
quantum smoke spinning reel. I've taken it apart and cleaned it but it's still grindy. Anyone ever tried spraying WD40 on this?

If it is still grinding then you missed something, take it apart and try again or take it to the reel doctor or someone else that can clean it.

WD40 isn't going to solve a thing...

BeeGuy
05-28-2014, 03:39 PM

If it is still grinding, then it is not clean.

Do a bit of research on reel maintenance. Some components require reel grease, while others require reel oil. High viscosity vs low viscosity lubricants.

No parts should be sprayed with WD-40.

Take off the spool and look inside/under it. This may be the source of something you missed.

Alternatively, disassemble the rotor as their may be sand in there somewhere.

To clean the internal metal parts you can use warm soapy water and a tooth brush or a mild non-polar solvent. I use q-tips to do a thorough job.

A complete clean and re-lube will remove all of the sand.

The Reel Deal
05-28-2014, 05:22 PM
If it is still grinding then you missed something, take it apart and try again or take it to the reel doctor or someone else that can clean it.

WD40 isn't going to solve a thing...

X2

If you live in Calgary send me a PM and I will look at it

Crankbait
05-28-2014, 05:46 PM

I was just talking someone out of buying that reel because of the exposed innards and how dusty and gritty it is fishing around here. smooth reel but they should have put see thru thin plastic. i get it that they did this to create sturdy and lite but the designer either doesnt fish much or fishes from a bubble. a bad wind could put dirt in it. maybe take it to an old camera shop and have them use the low pressure air cleaner on it. ouch.

XFishOwonderX65
01-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Buy a new one. I like the feel of a brand new reel. wrap it before you reel it

TippyCanoe
01-07-2015, 04:17 PM
If you're not inclined to take it completely apart, get a can of compressed air (like used for cleaning computer keyboards) and blast it out. Don't use WD-40 as it's a magnet for dust. I prefer powered graphite for a reel lubricant.

Adwittoutdoors
01-07-2015, 04:33 PM
I hope he has figured out his 6 month old problem by now. :thinking-006: That's one more post count. :sHa_sarcasticlol: