PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good gun for Deer and the odd Elk or Moose?

deanmc
11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I am looking to buy a Remington model 760. It is priced right and chambered for 30-06 sprg.
I am not shooting long distances but there is lots of brush and wind in our area. Have any of you used this model and how did you like it. I would also be hoping to try handloading for the first time. I do not have anyone to guide me in this so any specific info on supplies would be very helpful. I have and will continue to scan these boards for info. Thanks:wave:

deanmc
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I forgot to mention..... The owner has kept all brass since he bought this gun. Lots of Winchester and some Gevelot????? Some of them are 20 years old I know that none of them have been reloaded ever. Would you reccomend reloading these? I remember reading here that brass gets brittle with age.

spoiledsaskhunter
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
my freind in sask hunts elk, moose, and deer with his.....had one in the early '70's when i met him, then got like everyone else and got a whole bunch of other calibers/makes/models..before getting rid of them all and going back to the 760. i've seen him knock down a BUNCH of elk and they can't go down fast enough. all relatively short distances/180 gr shells, and clobbers 'em.

Walleyes
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I got a model 760 in 270 cal some 29 years ago and I can not sit here and begin to tell you the game I have takin with that gun.. Many, many moose and numbers of Whitetail fell to that gun. I would hate to guess at the amount of rounds that have been put through that gun with very basic maintenance and it shoots as well as the day it was bought. In the last 8 years I have hunted with a 300 RUM but my boys have used that gun through the years with no incidents. In my opinion the older model 760's were some of the finest rifles made if the price suits you do not hesitate to buy it again they are fine rifles..

mallard man
11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Whats the highest grain bullet you can put in a 270, im going for elk soon and all i have is the 150 grains but ive never seen anything bigger then those for a 270, but ive heard that you can get 165.

Walleyes
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
150 is the standard grain that I hunted with for years, with the ocasional 140's shot for deer. I am not sure about a 165 grain personely I have never seen them.

MK2750
11-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a 760 in 300 savage and my daily driver is a 7600 in 30-06. Very popular back east but don't see many out here. Both rifles are incrediably accurate and I would put them up against any bolt-all things being equal.

Dick284
11-03-2008, 05:20 AM
The line of Remington pump rifles 76_ _ are a well made rifle.
The trigger group is a bit iffy, but can be worked on by a knowledgable person with some gun savvy.
The barrels are typical Remington quality, and often deliver good accuracy with most ammo.

I had one a few years back that flat out gave me fits, it would not shoot 150's or 165's, but alas a plain base 180gr. bullet cured it's ills, often shooting groups to rival upper end bolt rifles.

165's are the quindisentail bullet weight in 30 caliber.
It shoots as flat as a 150, and hits with as much energy as a 180. That'a why they are so popular, no need to flip flop bullet weights as the game changes.

A side note on bullet weights is that with all the new ultra stout constructed premium bullets on the market now a days the old popular choices for bullet weights has change by leaps and bounds.

As for a 270 as a moose rifle, why not, I've seen so many moose fall prey to 130gr. Partitions in a 270Win, it simple has to be as near of a slam dunk as it gets. Ask Rugersingle.;)

Good Luck.

Leverboy
11-03-2008, 07:04 AM
The 760 is my fathers go to gun and was my grandfathers go to gun before that. Its in .30-06 as well and is in no way a short range proposition. It shoots neck and neck with any .30-06 bolt gun i have owned. The amount of game this rifle has taken between my grandfather, father and myself actually amounts to a long list. They are a great deer and moose gun.

harv3589
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
My dad has used a 760 30-06 forever and has shot alot of game from coyotes up to moose with it...some of them very long shots. An excellent gun IMO.

davem
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I love mine, I have shot a moose and an elk with it (no rifle hunting for deer were I live). It is accurate, reliable and offers quick follow up shots. I trust it more than a semi and am faster with it than a bolt, very nice for in the brush when a branch can throw off a shot the next shot is not far behind, plus I can keep my eye on the target while a cycle a round, plus the safety and pump release is set up exactly the same way as my 870 and my fieldmaster .22. It is second nature to shoot when you don't have to think about the safety and other features. It takes a clip which is also good and spare clips are inexpensive compared to other guns.

Dave

huntinstuff
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
As you described your hunting methods, you can't go wrong with that rifle.

sbtennex
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
T

quindisentail
As for a 270 as a moose rifle, why not, I've seen so many moose fall prey to 130gr. Partitions in a 270Win
Good Luck.

Quin what???:lol::lol:
(Know what you meant:)
76__ rifles aren't notoriously famous for accuracy, but plenty good enough in the ranges you're talking about. 180 gr is the way to go or even 200 in the thick stuff, a RN probably the best bet for shooting thru the thick stuff.
The '06 gets a lot of abuse and is ignored a lot with the plethora of wannabe next great calibers being chambered for recently, none needed and generally none an improvement on much of anything that hasn't been around for a long time. CF cartridges will no doubt be a thing of the past some day, but the world will always remember the '06 as the one that set the hurdle.
And as for the .270 with 130's, it killed everything I shot it at for a long time until I could start to branch out to a zillion other calibers. Still the best IMO.

Fox red lab
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
This mule deer is the latest to fall to my vintage 30.06 Rem 760 Gamemaster.

It's my dads. Not sure what he shot with this gun as he was more of a pheasant hunter. Since 2003 it has taken 1 or 2 deer every year. All inside 200yds. Off to Sask tomorrow so hopefully it will prove itself again.

I will probably buy a bolt action rifle next year because the pump is noisy to load and the safety is like that of an older model shotgun. I like the idea of having a bolt that you can lift halfway and the rifle wont fire. Also mine seems to jam after the second shot. Other that that it is an extremely popular gun and it gets game!!!

Hope this helps.

Bobby B.
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Dick,

You realy gave me a chukle. Got to lov it wen somone usses a big waord spelt wrong. Keep up the good werk!

Bobby B.

TC7
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I have one and have carried it for everything I have hunted and love it to death. Mine is in 308 , all my friends have shot it and they have all seemed to like it . My father has used his for a very long time and has shot moose , deer, and bear with it . I've used mine in the bush, in the fields and any other terrain or condition . The only time it has ever failed me was when the idiot holding it put the clip in cockeyed and it didn't chamber a shell when I worked the action , of course the biggest whitetail I had ever seen was standing right in front of me and when I squeezed the trigger I heard the most ominous click I had ever heard . So once again it was the moron holding it that failed the gun .

EagleEye54
11-22-2008, 11:25 PM
It is a good rifle. It will do what you want for as long as you want to. Perfer caliber for just about anything that walks. Just keep it clean. Put a good scope on top and you are done. Enjoy!

deanmc
11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks everyone.:wave: I got this gun and love it. It seems to fit me like a glove. So much better than my old .303 .

I shot 1" moa groups at the range with 15 year old federal classic ammo that came with it.No vise just a old block to rest on.

Shot a coyote with it already but no deer have come across my path. Trying desperately to change that.:evilgrin:

.257Weatherby
11-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh come one guys, give Richard a brake, he's been in the bush to long.
I have never owned a pump action rifle, but I am sure there is a good application for that make and model, all it will take from you is a bit of practice and make it work in your hands.
Bring on the Gray Cup....
Rob

378 Wthrby
11-23-2008, 09:58 AM
deanmc,
Back to the original questions, the 30-06 will drop what ever you point it at from deer to Elk, awesome caliber. When you start reloading and if you are like alot of us the real enjoyment comes with sitting down with a scotch do your homework on what you are building for rounds and going to the range and seeing the results and by taking game with it accurately. You worked up the load, set your rifle up for that load and knocked something down with that load, can't beat that, not a drug in the world can touch that feeling. Maybe just me but I am passing that down to my son and that is a great feeling as well.
Good luck & good hunting and safe reloading

OH yeah I almost forgot- 257weatherby it is the Grey Cup not Gray Cup, lol