PDA

View Full Version : Expensive realistic lures

ctown
05-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their investments? I've spent a fair amount of time and a few bucks on some different realistic lures like and including live target but have found that I end up doing better with what was already in the box. I'm not giving up on them and they do catch fish(won't be buying more any time soon) but have yet to see the difference that one might be expecting from a replica fish.

This isn't a product bash. Just a question.

RavYak
05-28-2014, 10:16 PM
There are 2 different methods to fishing.

a) Match the hatch or baitfish etc. In this case you are trying to use a lure as similar as possible to whatever the fish are feeding on. This requires significant knowledge and experience to get good at.

b) Use lures that draw attention and create reactionary strikes. This is huge when fishing for pike, sure using something more life like might catch you the odd picky fish you wouldn't normally catch but for the most part you will catch more pike if using the flashiest, loudest lure you can find. Similar can even be said for trout fishing, best luck is with good flies but can also have good luck with bright spinners that don't imitate any of the fishes natural diet.

fish gunner
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their investments? I've spent a fair amount of time and a few bucks on some different realistic lures like and including live target but have found that I end up doing better with what was already in the box. I'm not giving up on them and they do catch fish(won't be buying more any time soon) but have yet to see the difference that one might be expecting from a replica fish.

Hard to get away from lures that work week in week out for a shinier lure thats un tested. Rapala, lyman, j plugs all catch tough fish, shiney well we'll just have to see.
80% of lures catch fisher people 20% catch fish. :)

Brandonkop
05-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Lucky Craft Lures are expensive, pretty realistic, great action and from what I can tell work amazing. I only own one cause they're like 15 bucks a piece and get similar results out of rapala half the price.

DiabeticKripple
05-29-2014, 01:25 AM
some lures are out there to catch the fisherman

Spawn
05-29-2014, 05:23 AM
I've found the best bang for your buck when it comes to pike are simple jigs. They are cheap and very effective if fished properly. My first day out this season my daughter and I landed 108 pike on jigs alone and many more pike since fishing season just started. I've used mostly every type of lure, bait and methods on these things and in my opinion jigs are tried tested and true. Keep it simple.

Spawn

-JR-
05-29-2014, 05:39 AM
Have a lot of those expensive hooks also ,stopped buying those as i find i always go back to the Five of Diamonds !

JohninAB
05-29-2014, 06:01 AM
If they are shiny and bright, cost is irrelevant, they follow me home. Get into the big gear for pike/musky and a 20 dollar bill does not buy much it seems. Use them all. Can I say anyone lure is more productive than the other, no, but variety is the spice of life! Imagine how boring life would be with out variety. So why should your tackle be any different?

That is all.

rafhone
05-29-2014, 06:16 AM
I've had lots of days where my expensive hooks like Livetargets out perform anything else I use. Those big 7.5" livetarget perch can take a beating on the right day.

Esox
05-29-2014, 06:22 AM
If there is one to spend money on, it's live target. I own many of them and they outfish all my other cranks 2:1.

Alberta Bigbore
05-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Im a lure collector. And buy all types. But i really like live target for fishing in Manitoba and NW ontario.

ctown
05-29-2014, 07:58 AM
I guess what I should have asked was to see some pictures of big catches on realistic lures. I know I can catch a ton of fish just with flash or a jig or anything really, but the idea of these lures is to trick the big boys and girls into smashing your line more consistently. I don't need tips I have no problem catching fish. I just wanted to hear about some big results from people who use them. Or why you don't like them. Basically are you getting bang for your buck?

binnzer32
05-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I've found the best bang for your buck when it comes to pike are simple jigs. They are cheap and very effective if fished properly. My first day out this season my daughter and I landed 108 pike on jigs alone and many more pike since fishing season just started. I've used mostly every type of lure, bait and methods on these things and in my opinion jigs are tried tested and true. Keep it simple.

Spawn

Agreed

cube
05-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their investments? I've spent a fair amount of time and a few bucks on some different realistic lures like and including live target but have found that I end up doing better with what was already in the box. I'm not giving up on them and they do catch fish(won't be buying more any time soon) but have yet to see the difference one might be expecting from a replica fish.

X2 I found the Live target lures that I have, have relatively poor action. As a matter of fact the ones I'm useing now have no action until I'm 1.5 kmh faster than I would normally be going. They do catch fish like you say but about 1/2 as often as my old standard lures. For what it's worth the depth they give on the box has no bases in reality and are generally at least twice as deep as stated.

RavYak
05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
If they are shiny and bright, cost is irrelevant, they follow me home. Get into the big gear for pike/musky and a 20 dollar bill does not buy much it seems. Use them all. Can I say anyone lure is more productive than the other, no, but variety is the spice of life! Imagine how boring life would be with out variety. So why should your tackle be any different?

That is all.

Yeah I just bought 2 new pike lures and the bill was $37...

gnugen
05-29-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm like you I invest in life-like swim baits, hardbaits and so on. I find for live forage patterns a slow retrieve is best however I find action is still king. On that note I land more fish with reaction strike colours like fire tiger and blue/silver with the new Skatter Rap trolling. Every situation is different but my small budget isn't. Best Fishes

Speckle55
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Here is some of the latest lures form Europe that have been fooling some Big Fish

Big lures !!!!:shark:

watch the Perch video :47b20s0: soft 4 play

enjoy
http://www.savage-gear.com/

David:)

Walleyefanatic
05-29-2014, 11:42 AM
I find size,shape and action are by far more important than color or realistic paint jobs but their are days when color can make a difference.

rafhone
05-29-2014, 11:44 AM
X2 I found the Live target lures that I have, have relatively poor action. As a matter of fact the ones I'm useing now have no action until I'm 1.5 kmh faster than I would normally be going. They do catch fish like you say but about 1/2 as often as my old standard lures. For what it's worth the depth they give on the box has no bases in reality and are generally at least twice as deep as stated.

I believe the depths they give is for casting, If you are trolling they will dive ALOT deeper than it says on the box.

rafhone
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Here is some of the latest lures form Europe that have been fooling some Big Fish

Big lures !!!!:shark:

watch the Perch video :47b20s0: soft 4 play

enjoy
http://www.savage-gear.com/

David:)

Huge shoulders on those perch. Those bodies would be great for spring walleye.

Spawn
05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
If there is one to spend money on, it's live target. I own many of them and they outfish all my other cranks 2:1.
Live target? This is one I will have to try! Always great to experiment.

Thanks
Spawn.

Kyle
05-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Im a lure collector. And buy all types. But i really like live target for fishing in Manitoba and NW ontario.

Jig & live minnow :sHa_shakeshout:

omega50
05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
On my way to Badger this morning. Bringing my last 5 Mystery Tackle boxes with me. Each one has at least one realistic lure.
I am pumped to try this one today
I have the size 56AL in Gold.

http://www.landbigfish.com/Strike-Pro/Strike-Pro-Flex-X-Long-Lip-Swimbait.cfm
I would like to find some Live Target-Baitball Series
http://www.landbigfish.com/Koppers-Fishing/Koppers-Fishing-Live-Target-Emerald-Shiner-Baitball-Jerkbait.cfm

Geezle
05-30-2014, 08:11 AM
On my way to Badger this morning. Bringing my last 5 Mystery Tackle boxes with me. Each one has at least one realistic lure.

http://www.landbigfish.com/Koppers-Fishing/Koppers-Fishing-Live-Target-Emerald-Shiner-Baitball-Jerkbait.cfm

Pretty sure I've seen the Live Target Baitball lures at WSS and possibly at TFH (can't remember for sure) here in Edmonton a few months ago.

JohninAB
05-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Yes northside WSS had them as does the southside TFH. WSS had better pricing last I saw though.

J D
05-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Fishing is strange some days you need to match what they are feeding on as close as possible other days fish hit anything that moves.

Personally really clear water with a slow presentation is when life like lures seem to really shine.

If the water is stained or fast presentation it does not seem to matter.

In my opinion it is all about the conditions you are fishing. How well the fish can see your lure and how long they have to observe it is what it comes down to.

Sometimes bright unnatural noisy lures will out produce life likes 10 to 1.

gnugen
05-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Jig & live minnow :sHa_shakeshout:
I've spent oodles of money on all kinds of baits - heck even started my own company to make/sell products called GNUGEN Lures.

But like Al Lindner once alluded in certain conditions sometimes nothing beats the meat... Minnows, leaches and night crawlers that its.

Spawn
05-30-2014, 03:13 PM

That is all.

Experimentation is the name of the game when it comes to your tackle and do keep it fun and interesting.

Spawn:)

Rascal4now
05-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Going to buy some from DoubleBTackle. Some neat looking lures. Hand made and seem to be well made. Website on FB

ctown
06-01-2014, 09:02 AM
So I see the proof is in no pictures. That's what I thought.

Rascal4now
06-01-2014, 09:04 AM
There are pix on his web site. I sent the link to a friend and he picked some. ???

So I see the proof is in no pictures. That's what I thought.

Mackinaw
06-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Have been using livetarget lures for a couple of years now for 80 ovf my fishing,have never had to tune one unless I damaged it some how. The banana rainbow is my favorite for eyes will put it up againt any other crank. You can cast them or troll they hunt like no other crank I've used.

Mac