PDA

View Full Version : Boat Licencing Question ?

ThreeD
05-29-2014, 12:07 AM
So if a guy buys a new boat...is he allowed on the water with it while he waits for the licensing folks at Transport Canada / Fredericton NB to assign a registration number and mail the licence to him..?

Cant seem to find the answer to that question anywhere online.

roy9525
05-29-2014, 07:01 AM
I believe you have 60 days . it does say how much time somewhere in the online licencing.

ThreeD
05-29-2014, 07:41 AM
It mentions 90 days for a transfer of ownership (buying used), but zero for buying new.

Marsha
05-29-2014, 03:52 PM
It is 90 days, I got caught last year, but if you have your bill of sale and a copy of your application , no problem on the water:test:

dutchman
05-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm was just searching for info on the subject and came across this website.
You should find a definite answer there.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

For what it's worth, on my old boat that I had for 5 years, I didn't even know we were suppose to do that. Only found out when I purchased new and got the registration number. Took me the whole first season to get the numbers on and never got asked about it.
For just in case, keep a copy of the form until the numbers arrive.

ThreeD
05-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah its a little vague....I know its a Federal thing so likely the Provincial Fisheries guys won't care, but RCMP do. Hate to eat a $250 fine for not having it.

Money grab ? Yes

Cost of doing business ? Unavoidable.

Its a free licence so no problem. Just curious about wait time.

Thanks again.