PDA

View Full Version : pike fishing in the rain/overcast

Bushmonkey
05-29-2014, 10:09 PM
I generally only fish pike in nice weather. They seem to prefer the sunny days from my experience.

I have only tried a couple times in the rain or over cast.

I found the pike on the bottom in deeper water (20-30 feet).

Not sure if they always go deep and down in the rain though.

Any techniques for pike in the rain?

Lund rebel
05-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Fish last week Friday and Sunday was hammering them on a clacking rapala in 6-15 feet of water, I have found so far this year the rainy days have been more productive. Might come down to the lake and what's available to them.

rafhone
05-29-2014, 10:41 PM
around mid June-July I'll start going deeper if shallower water isnt producing. Any deep diving crankbait can get you in the strike zone, jigging with a slow troll, or even bottom bouncing/lindy type rigs.

Spawn
05-30-2014, 12:52 AM
I generally only fish pike in nice weather. They seem to prefer the sunny days from my experience.

I have only tried a couple times in the rain or over cast.

I found the pike on the bottom in deeper water (20-30 feet).

Not sure if they always go deep and down in the rain though.

Any techniques for pike in the rain?

This is what works for Spawn! I fish jigs in shallows and down fairly deep. I find that if I fish the jigs bouncing off the bottom and in my mind imitating an injured fish with a motion that in your mind is realistic and for me this works great. My first day out this year my daughter and I landed 108 pike. I have to admit that is gets slightly slower for me in the rain for whatever reason I still don't know. But really instead of catching 20 fish an hour I land maybe 15 fish an hour in bad weather when the pike are there and it still dosn't get boring even a little bit.
Try the jigs out using different colors and changing up your method of jigging till the hit. A really good color jig which works for me is a yellow and black. To me the colors represent a perch and what I've come to realize is the hook color is actually more important than trying to make a hook that resembles an actual fish. The fish seem to notice the color more than anything. These fish are not looking for perfection when choosing its pray or its nemasis.

Happy fishing
Fellow angler,

Spawn. :)

Spawn
05-30-2014, 01:03 AM
:mad0030:

DELETE ME!

Spawn
05-30-2014, 01:08 AM
:thinking-006:
DELETE ME!

NOW I GOT IT.:)