PDA

View Full Version : need help planning a trip with some friends

brohymn2
05-30-2014, 02:05 PM
fonna go on a fishing trip end of june with a few friends at the end of june,thinking either south buck or brazeau reservoir, wondering what you guys think, will be mainly c/r but we do planon keeping a few for the pan that evening

fishing will be either from shore or from boats, that hasn't been decided yet due to logistical issues with one of the watercraft we have

if anyone can think of anywhere else within 2 hours of Edmonton that would be good it would be appreciated

thanks for the advice

Fishhunter
05-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Go to buck

brohymn2
06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks

Red Bullets
06-01-2014, 04:35 PM
The time of the year you are going.. I would also go to Buck. More variety of fish too. Some nice perch, pike, whitefish, lingcod and occasionally a keeper walleye.

Brazeau has some big pike and a few trout but also more to consider. Deadheads, wind, mountain runoff, bearsmart, etc..

At least at Buck you know the water will be good, and the fishing is usually par for the course. Very predictable.

Shore fishing would be similar in both locations. Somewhat limiting at the lake and the reservour..

The canal at brazeau is shore fished for pike by quite a few people. There is the borrow pit at brazeau that stocked with trout too. I don't think the borrow pit winterkills either. Below the powerhouse the brazeau river has some brown trout and rockies but the water levels can change pretty quick if discharge gates are changed. I never had much luck on this stretch of Brazeau river.

At Buck lake a person can wade in up to the waist and fish too. (just remember to rinse off after or you could get hives if you are in the water all day)
If you fish at night, bigger walleye are in shallower and lingcod are active.
On the southwest end of Buck lake there is Mink creek. There are supposedly some brookies in the upper creek. The creek is only a few kilometers long.
Never fished it but I have eyed it up a few times. Shore fishing there.

Both places have their merits. Just Buck lake is more predictable at that time of the year.