PDA

View Full Version : Drift speed on the NSR?

SKSniper
05-30-2014, 10:15 PM
I am really wanting to do a drift down the NSR this summer in my canoe. I have a route planned that's approx. 50 km long. What's the average distance you get in a day? I just want to have an idea at how long it's going to take.

scesfiremedic
05-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Where are you starting? Finishing?

Average flow about 6 km/hr (not paddling) on lower stretches.

High water can be as fast as 13 km/hr.

I have paddled numerous trips from Nordegg to Rocky, Rocky to Drayton, Drayton to Edmonton, Tomahawk to Genesee, Tomahawk to Devon and Genesee to Devon.

You can easily do Genesee bridge to Devon in a day (you might have to paddle if wind is in your face).

Lund rebel
05-31-2014, 06:52 AM
Where are you starting? Finishing?

Average flow about 6 km/hr (not paddling) on lower stretches.

High water can be as fast as 13 km/hr.

I have paddled numerous trips from Nordegg to Rocky, Rocky to Drayton, Drayton to Edmonton, Tomahawk to Genesee, Tomahawk to Devon and Genesee to Devon.

You can easily do Genesee bridge to Devon in a day (you might have to paddle if wind is in your face).

Yeah it totally depends on the stretch of the river as well, we tube down by genesee a lot as that's where we live, there are stretches where you fly and stretches where it feels like your going backwards. We did our kayaks from genesee to south of stony last year and got out at my brothers only took a couple hrs but the river was high at the time.

Game Hunter
05-31-2014, 07:48 AM
We went from Devon to Edmonton easy in a day. Maybe 6 hours we were paddling. Was a while back.

silver
05-31-2014, 08:08 AM
A lot of years back, a friend and I canoed from Edmonton to North Battleford, took us 6 days with paddling about 10 hrs a day. I'd say about 60 or 70 miles a day.

SKSniper
05-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of launching in Fort Sask and going to the bridge south of Waskatenau. It was 53 km according to google earth. If the average is 6 km/h it will be perfect for a weekend, doing some fishing here and there to kill some time.

Bassett
05-31-2014, 10:08 AM
We went from Devon to Edmonton easy in a day. Maybe 6 hours we were paddling. Was a while back.

Dad and I used to do this as well, just paddle in the slow and rest in the fast!