PDA

View Full Version : Night crawlers, need tips on care.

AppleJax
05-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Well I've been poaching all the neighbourhood crawlers the last few evenings. I've got them in an ice cream pale with holes in aged steer manure/ potting soil mix. They keep dying on me..... The bedding is damp but I wouldn't say overly wet. I also have some store bought crawlers that seem to be doing just fine so I don't think temp is an issue they are in my beer fridge. Any advise from experienced vermiculite farmers lol?

lolanr
05-30-2014, 11:09 PM
I think that steer manure maybe a little too hot for them. Even though it is "aged" it is still very high in certian nutrients which maybe in toxic levels for them. I use worm bedding and can keep them alive for weeks. It looks like drier lint and shredded paper. Keep moist and in the fridge. Pull dead ones as soon as you find them.

fish gunner
05-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Moss from the forest floor is great for short term storage. Toughens them up for casting . Good old dirt with a little oatmeal and pinch of news paper is what ive had success with keep the surface damp and they've laste a winter in a small fish tank some worm beading mixed with the dirt helps. Ime.

the local angler
05-30-2014, 11:37 PM
i have a similar issue, i bought a 60 pack from TFH and had it in the frabil worm bedding with the material damp as per instructions. a few days later my worm container is saturated with moisture then i first started with and all are dead already. are you picking the worms from the sidewalks after a rainstorm? i was told those are already dying and have a very short shelf life.

AppleJax
05-30-2014, 11:38 PM
I forgot I had a bag of Frabill worm bedding. Just finished changing it out, hopefully that makes a difference and it's not too late for the survivors.....

AppleJax
05-30-2014, 11:40 PM
I have been picking the nightcrawlers from the lawn. I had a bunch of earth worms too and they melted I think your right about them. These however are definitely nightcrawlers

BeeGuy
05-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Don't use soil or soil-like mixes.

Try shredded damp newspaper. I've had great success with damp shredded up egg cartons. moss is also great and is what I'm currently using due to it taking over the lawn.

one key is to keep the medium damp, not wet.

throw'm in the fridge and they should be happy.

Habfan
05-31-2014, 06:11 AM
I have been keeping crawlers for about 20 yrs and this is what I do! Before I bought store bought worm bedding, which is best, I used Horse manure or rabbit or deer, and it must be old and dry,moisten with distiller water and put in a styrofoam cooler that will fit in your fridge. 5-10c is what they prefer. You can add greens and other soft veggies but not needed ! The worms change the horse manure or worm bedding into great potting soil. I catch all the worms off the road or alley and never had a problem !! When you catch a bunch you must separate them or they will stay in a ball and that kills them for some reason ? I have night crawlers from last year still ! If you put holes in the lid makes them small or cover with a screen or they will escape. Opening the lid every 2 days is plenty of air.
,Do not use Cat,Dog or cow poo !!!

Habfan
05-31-2014, 06:25 AM
1 other thing I should mention is that I use a fork to slide under the worms. It makes it easy to pick them up and your hands don't get slimy, also put them in soil as you catch them and they won't ball up as bad !

waterninja
05-31-2014, 07:41 AM
I have been keeping crawlers for about 20 yrs and this is what I do! Before I bought store bought worm bedding, which is best, I used Horse manure or rabbit or deer, and it must be old and dry,moisten with distiller water and put in a styrofoam cooler that will fit in your fridge. 5-10c is what they prefer. You can add greens and other soft veggies but not needed ! The worms change the horse manure or worm bedding into great potting soil. I catch all the worms off the road or alley and never had a problem !! When you catch a bunch you must separate them or they will stay in a ball and that kills them for some reason ? I have night crawlers from last year still ! If you put holes in the lid makes them small or cover with a screen or they will escape. Opening the lid every 2 days is plenty of air.
,Do not use Cat,Dog or cow poo !!!
what hab said. i don't use a styro container i have found that the large plastic containers that are left over from buying wood screws at home depot work great. couple more tips
... buy a 5.00 thermometer at wall mart and stick in your fridge. keep fridge at 5-8 degrees celceus.
...layer of black dirt first, then worms then another layer of dirt. sprinkle some cornmeal on top for food
...keep air holes small on top and lid of container
...DO NOT use shredded newspaper. shredded newspaper moulds quickly
...every month or so change the dirt in your container.
... only use fresh picked worms. worms found on sidewalk etc. are already dying.
good luck

Kokanee9
05-31-2014, 09:09 AM
............. I've got them in an ice cream pale with holes in aged steer manure/ potting soil mix. They keep dying on me.....

It's not uncommon for bagged potting soil to have fertilizer added to it when packaging the soil.