PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Invermere / Fairmont?!?

spike010
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Gents,

Anyone know of any good fishing in Invermere or Fairmont area this time of year? Maybe even taking a boat on lake Windermere if the bass there are still feeding? Any advice would be appreciated Thanks

tonyflyfish
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
could try: Findley Creek south of town, Brewer Creek to the west, Kootenay River or the White River.

TFF

The Fisherman Guy
11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Spike,

I fish out there quite often as my lady friend lives on a ranch in the valley. You can try lake Windermere but if you ask me, it is dry. Locals would most likely contest that but...

If you are headed out there, check out Whiteswan Lake, and Moose Lake. Moose is flyfishing only, but there are some nice gerard rainbows in Whiteswan. Access is east off the 93/95 south of Canal Flats, on the Whiteswan/Lussier FSR. Travel up to km 23 and you will find Moose, just past that is Whiteswan.

Also try the Spillamacheen river north of Radium.

If you are bold, also try Whitetail or Deer lake on the west side of the 93/95 before you get to Canal Flats, I believe it is accessed by the Findlay FSR... Correct me if I am wrong....

Kingfisher
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Your absolutely right FGY. Whitetail is accessed by Findlay FSR. It's right before Canal Flats.

Lots of guys like Whitetail. But personally I prefer Whiteswan. But hey that's just my opinion.

There are all kinds of lakes around that country. These are just the two most popular and have the most people at. If your looking to get away from the crowds then don't go to either one. There are so many lakes throughout that valley. So get a map book and some regs and have fun.

Rob

The Fisherman Guy
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Right on Kingfisher, I have fished the Columbia Valley for about a decade now, and I really enjoy it.

I was out there last weekend with my lady and we were headed up to Dunbar lake where her Mother has an off the grid cabin. We headed north of Wilmer to km 44 on an FSR I am not familiar with, where the lake is. At km 42 we were just closing in at sunset on the lake. About 40 yards ahead I saw a beige animal slink it's way across the road from right to left. I instantly knew it was a lion.

Very excited I slowed the truck down and kept my eye on where it disappeared into the bushes. A few seconds later, another lion crossed the road in the same place!!!! At this point I was 10 or so yards away and I arrived at where they crossed. I looked up to the left and there was a great lion staring me down from the hillside at about ten yards. It stood about hip high on me at the shoulder, with a large wide head. We stared at eachother for a good ten to fifteen seconds, before it lost interest and slowly disappeared into the forest.

BY FAR the most memorable sighting in the valley for me. Speaking to some local friends at the lake they have noticed their dogs acting very submissive in the last weeks, who knows how close these cats are coming to the cabins around the lake. They were not the least bit wary of me or my truck.

There are plenty of lions in the valley, keep that in mind when out fishing! Bring a small dog as a distraction, preferably a loud yappy one!

Kingfisher
11-08-2008, 01:58 AM
That's quite a sighting TFG.

Not every day a guy see's one cat never mind 2 at once. A bit scary that they weren't scared though. You'd expect them to bolt once they saw you.

I had a similar thing happen earlier this fall. I was coming back from a fishing trip in BC and decided to come down through Kamloops and then to the Rogers Pass. I had left late as I had to drop off some rod building supplies to one of my customers in 100 Mile House. I made it to Golden around midnight, but the highway between there and Field was closed due to a slide. I had to get to work the next morning so I decided to go south and cut through Radium and on to Banff and then Calgary. Traffic was fairly heavy as there were lots of others with the same idea. After heading up the Radium highway I saw a young male wolf about 15kms in. Then in the next 3 or 4 kms I saw another 2 wolves along the highway.

The Fisherman Guy
11-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Ahh the helluva drive, love those!

I have also been fortunate enough to see wolves in the park between Radium and Storm mountain, only two though. I was driving home late from a friends cabin on lake Windermere, when I saw one bot in front of my truck. I continued to slow down, after the wolf had run across the road, to the confusion of my passengers who were tired and wanted to get home. One buddy began to harrass me to "git goin" just as I was saying, "where there's one, there's more" another followed suit and I just about tagged him. If I had not slowed down I am sure he would be a nice grill ornament. Plenty of bears in that park too, my lady tells me that three people hit bears on motorbikes this year!?!?!

Kingfisher
11-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I can't imagine hitting a bear while riding a motorcycle. That would not only scare the crap out of you, if you didn't kill the bear he'd probably be ****ed off at you and eat you.