PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Ultralight Scopes

Predator
11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? I am looking for a light weight scope option for my rifle, and had seen these. My 2 concerns are what are the optics like at the VX-II level of scopes (clarity etc...) As well with only 28and 33mm objectives in the ultralight line, what is my low light capability going to be like. I am also looking for any other lightweight suggestions if you have them. Thanks all!

Stinky Coyote
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
i just bought a 3-9x33 ultralight, yes from what i understand they are from the vx-II line up of scopes, i added a standard 1" elevation turret to mine for clicking in longer ranges instead of going with the lr reticle.......reason being so i didn't have to be at maximum magnification to shoot long range due to the smaller objective potentially hurting the view at first and last light....most multi aimpoint reticles work at full magnification and you'd be just under 4 mm exit pupil on a 33mm objective scope if at 9x

you can probably see well enough at 5mm exit pupil for first and last light....but perfect exit pupil is 7mm to get that you would simply x's the magnification by 7 mm exit pupil to see what objective size would be needed.......ie; 4 power times 7mm exit pupil equals 28 mm objective....so 5x times 7mm equals 35 mm objective.....to get 7mm exit pupil at 6x you'd need 42 mm

i have a very nice set of 8x42 bino's and my exit pupil is about 5.3 and i can see well to past legal shooting light.....perfect 7mm exit pupil i don't believe is necessary if its quality glass.....thats why i say 5mm exit pupil is likely good enough on the low end....so to be there on my scope you'd need to be about 30mm objective and i have a 33 mm objective.....so i leave my scope set on 6x as i'm sure that will be plenty good for legal shooting light, i doubt i'll need to move it, and now i can still dial in long range shots.....have dialed in a 700 yrd shot so far and it hit bang on where i was aiming(on a rock)....so 6x is enough magnification to hold well on a deer size target to 700 yrds i know forsure now...

the elevation knob cost 100 bucks to have added from Jim Korth Agencies but i dropped it off in okotoks and picked it up a day later.....if you can't do that then add shipping costs i assume

good luck with your choice and i hope that helps...

AB2506
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
3-9x33EFI comes very highly rated for light varmint calling rigs. Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den likes it immensely.

Don't forget the 2.5-8X36 VXIII. It is also very short and light.

Rocks
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I've been using a 3-9X33 for a couple years, it's been great, I've haven't had any issues at all, have pulled the trigger while looking through it a few times. The clarity is not quite as good as the 3-9X40 vx2's I run on my other rifles, but it is still sufficient enough for all the hunting conditions I've used it in so far.

raised by wolves
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I use a 3-9x33 on my 700 Ti. Great little scope if you are trying to reduce the weight. Good clarity, like any of the VX2 and VX3 lines. Obviously a smaller FOV but more than enough for hunting.

If weight is not a concern and you wish to remain within the VX2 budget, the 3-9X40 is another great scope with a wider FOV. I have the higher end scopes, but regularly hunt using this model.

shirtr
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I have the 2.5-8x36 on one of my lightweight rigs. It seems to do very well with the B&C reticle. Light and durable.