View Full Version : Ballistic Sliver Tips

gramps73
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Who uses them and with what results
good or bad..
Gramps

Dick284
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
They are nothing more than a Nosler Ballistic Tip in different dress.

raised by wolves
11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I used them in a 270 Husky. Shot clean and grouped well, however they seemed to shatter immediately on impact and make poor kills. I took several deer with good broadside shots and all but one shattered completely when they hit the ribs, with little penetration.

Stinky Coyote
11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
i like em

i like explosive bullets, i find game goes down quicker with them vs the solid types that have the delayed expansion etc....

wife's whitetail buck at 188 yrds with 95 gr out of a .243 was drt, i was surprised by the damage done, hit under spine, got lungs and spine was shifted full diameter from itself, football size cone of damage in that area....and it exited.....i was impressed

the more solid the bullets i use the further they tend to run (anything i shoot, coyotes, big game, gophers etc.) i prefer doing as much damage as possible....but don't use pure varmint explosive stuff for big game of course, i wouldn't want anything more explosive than a ballistic tip....as i said, i like em...

canadianhunter
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Highly recommend the ballistic silver tip. Does an excellent job! All kills are almost instant. I had one deer run about 40 yards but that was as far as he got. I shoot 270 and 308 both work well.

twilson_99
11-04-2008, 07:23 PM
my 300 win mag doesn't like them. best I've gotten is 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I did shoot two deer with them last year, hit one high, got the spine and left a hole I could fit my fist through. Seem to break up too much though and not get the penetration deep into the vitals on larger game. If you're shooting at deer, and your gun likes them, they're good. I wouldn't recommend on larger game though

JCP
11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I have had nothing but poor results with them except on one deer out of 4. I shoot a 7mm mag and loaded BST in 150gr. Problem #1 yes they are a rapidly expanding bullet so when I loaded them I loaded them up pretty hot ( should have done research first ). Grouped excellent. .250'' @ 100yards, 5 shots. Anyway since they are a rapidly expanding bullet and in my case loaded up pretty hot 3 out of the 4 deer I shot were 100 yards or less. They pretty much exploded upon impact, very poor penetration. The one and only time this bullet shone was a 325 yard shot on a nice buck and then and only then once the bullet had got rid of alot of energy ( compared to 100 yards ) it penetrated. Still no through and through though. After my bad experiences I read up on the bullets and found out that the wall thickness of bullets 160gr and above come a little thicker so hence a more controlled expansion. Long story short. If you plan on shooting a long distance this bullets performs well. But I don't know about most of you guys but most of my deer are 150yrd or less.

TC7
11-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I've used them in my 308 , they do the job but I found that they would come apart .I have only used them on 2 deer one at 100yds and one at 250yds niether time did they exit and I found the remnents or at least part of them.

gramps73
11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Mixed reviews on these bullets, I use them at the range and my grouping is fantastic 1" at 200 yards. Hope they do the job in the field.
gramps

Ice Fishing Maniac
11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I use 55 & 95 grainers in my 243 for predator hunting. Maybe use the 95gr when my boys are old enough to hunt for deer. For big game I personally prefer the Accubonds.

sdeviation
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
these were pretty much my to go bullets ,,,now tinkering with smk`s and accubonds...
on a broad side shot ,,,all were dead on the hoof,,they just didnt know it yet....
i have seen them rear up and fall over backwards to running 100 yards with no heart intact...just dont shoot them in the azz

from 18 yards - 420yrds,,deer moose sheep(ewe :) ) and elk...
i dont think i have bin below the 3200 fps mark with em ...