PDA

View Full Version : Kinky Lake

T-Bone
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Anybody have any info on this lake? When do you think it will freeze up enough to walk on?? Thanks in advance
T

troutpirate
11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
probably a couple more days for safe ice. what kind of info r u looking for?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Id say a few more weeks . just so that gives the ice a bit more strength , Id emagine its very honeycomed right now .

Kyle
11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Id say a few more weeks . just so that gives the ice a bit more strength , Id emagine its very honeycomed right now .

honeycombed ice is at the end of the season, not the start. When you drill it will come up in small chunks of ice, rather than tiny shaved iced chunks. Also it will be alot softer ice when cutting and cut through the ice alot faster. Also usually you will notice the first 5-10 inches to honeycomb(and good ice below), then 15,20,etc,etc. Can be dangerous unless you know what to look for.

As for ice reports, well I'd give it another week atleast. Just keep an eye on the forecast and pray it gets cold FAST;)

lambski
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Kinky and Wildhorse get tons of wind. Usually the first lakes free of ice in the spring and I would think the last to freeze up. A lot of guys fish around the boat launch which is fairly shallow and shouldnt be to much cause for concern. Kinky has a few springs and they are sketchy all winter long, I went through a few years back, fresh snow and wanting to fish the edge, you get the idea. I see people around the springs every year with kids and it scares me. Might have a boo tomorrow, ill let you know how it looks.

lambski
11-05-2008, 07:42 PM
As for the fishing I would say its decent. I caught about a 100 there this summer on leech patterns and chronies. Most of the brookies I caught were between 12 and 14" but in the past I have seen the odd 4 and mabe even 5 pounder float through my hole, however they are far and few between. Great place for a family outing. If your looking for footballs there are way better lakes around.

troutpirate
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
lambski's advice on kinky is bang on. first ice is the best time of year for big brookies and they are really shallow. for myself i think the risk is worth it for big brookies in spawning colors:love::love: i have got wet a fair amount of times but never much past the knees:evilgrin:

11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
honeycombed ice is at the end of the season, not the start. When you drill it will come up in small chunks of ice, rather than tiny shaved iced chunks. Also it will be alot softer ice when cutting and cut through the ice alot faster. Also usually you will notice the first 5-10 inches to honeycomb(and good ice below), then 15,20,etc,etc. Can be dangerous unless you know what to look for.

As for ice reports, well I'd give it another week atleast. Just keep an eye on the forecast and pray it gets cold FAST;)

This table of ice strength is presented for the benefit of ice anglers and other winter sports people. The figures are for clear, blue ice on lakes and ponds. Reduce strength values 15% for clear blue, river ice. Slush or snow (white) ice is only one-half the strength of blue ice and can be very treacherous. "Honeycombed" ice, which occurs in the spring or during major winter thaws as the ice is melting, is the most dangerous ice, and best avoided unless the angler is certain there is a safe layer of solid ice beneath the honeycombed surface. Anglers should also be aware that many lakes and ponds contain spring holes and other areas of current that may create deceptively dangerous thin spots in areas that are otherwise safe. Always use caution, and don't venture out onto unfamiliar waters without checking ice thickness frequently.

Ice Thickness (inches) Permissible Load (clear, blue, lake ice)
2 One person on foot
3 Group, in single file
5 Group (6-8 people) together
7½ Passenger car (2 ton gross)
8 Light truck (2½ ton gross)
10 Medium truck (3½ ton gross)
12 Heavy truck (7 to 8 ton gross)
15 10 tons
20 25 tons
25 45 tons
30 70 tons

Deano
11-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Kyle is right about "honey comb" ice in the spring.

11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Kyle is right about "honey comb" ice in the spring.

You know what I was out yesterday went to go see how thick the ice was, It was milky colored and honey comed, Thats due to the differance in tempature .

Safety D
11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
So does that mean there is ice there? Is it fishable?

11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
So does that mean there is ice there? Is it fishable?

Its just over an inch thick , I wouldnt be on the ice yet , theres still open water. You don't catch me on the ice until early to mid dec until a good 10 to 14 inches of ice. Last year I went out early and my buddy went thru the ice on 6 inches of Ice in mid nov.

lambski
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
For me in brookie season two inches of ice is good. All the spawn beds where I fish are no more then three feet deep and in most cases about twelve feet from shore and can be as close as three feet. The biggest brookie I have caught was 6.5 pounds and I caught her in a foot of water a foot from shore. I had to stand on shore because every time I went to move on the ice she would spook. It took a while but eventually she came in tight to the gravel bed. In my opinion no ice is safe ice and everybody has there own limitations. There can be trucks all over the ice and I will stiil walk to where I am going as I am always leary. P.S. These lakes are all fairly small.

11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
For me in brookie season two inches of ice is good. All the spawn beds where I fish are no more then three feet deep and in most cases about twelve feet from shore and can be as close as three feet. The biggest brookie I have caught was 6.5 pounds and I caught her in a foot of water a foot from shore. I had to stand on shore because every time I went to move on the ice she would spook. It took a while but eventually she came in tight to the gravel bed. In my opinion no ice is safe ice and everybody has there own limitations. There can be trucks all over the ice and I will stiil walk to where I am going as I am always leary. P.S. These lakes are all fairly small.

Well what the heck ya waiting for . LOL Id be alright with that , cus at least a guy can stand and not end up drowning .

The Anvil
11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Here is hoping that Natural selection takes a few of those who take the risk of trekking out on thin ice this time a year. All the power to the fools who risk their own well being.:evilgrin:

11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Here is hoping that Natural selection takes a few of those who take the risk of trekking out on thin ice this time a year. All the power to the fools who risk their own well being.:evilgrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

TundraBuck
11-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Short lining brookies in spawning colors, my mouth is foaming. Couple more weeks.

lambski
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
You dont know what your missing Anvil. If I thought like you I would quit bowhunting because im scared of bears and I wouldnt hunt whitetails in november because its too cold and ..............

SNAPFisher
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
LOL!

Hunting is one thing. Falling through ice is another. It might be knee deep but getting wet in zub-zero is not my idea of fun. I'm not that desparate to catch a big brookie.

It's your skin...have at it!

P.S. Report back no matter what ;)

Cheers!

troutpirate
11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
no big beautiful brookies for u (anvil & snapfisher):tongue2:

PS snapfisher it is illegal 2 camp in the maligne lake parking lot(big fine):evilgrin:
see u next year:lol:

fishman
11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
In few years all the lakes that have g3 brookies will not see the fall spawners and shallow water, catching big brookies....the g3 do not get spawning colors and do not get eggs and do not go through the spwaning ritual........so this is going to **** off a few fisherman...but for myself i look at it diffrently were we are going to produce bigger brookies and hopefully not just the ice fisherman at early ice on will catch them.......i don't ice fish so i freeze my ass of in the fall trying to catch the big ones

SNAPFisher
11-11-2008, 12:59 PM
In few years all the lakes that have g3 brookies will not see the fall spawners and shallow water, catching big brookies....the g3 do not get spawning colors and do not get eggs and do not go through the spwaning ritual........so this is going to **** off a few fisherman...but for myself i look at it diffrently were we are going to produce bigger brookies and hopefully not just the ice fisherman at early ice on will catch them.......i don't ice fish so i freeze my ass of in the fall trying to catch the big ones

Interesting! Looks like you and I think alike about fall fishing. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Typical
11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I nevr been to Kinky lake, where about is it located ? What are you guys using for bait when ice fishing ?

Any answeer will be greatly appreciated,m Thanks