PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer bunks

boonedocks
06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm in need of replacing the bunks on my boat trailer ( aluminum boat) and was wondering what type of wood I should use. I know that pressure treated lumber is no good due to copper in the wood reacting with the aluminum boat and causing corrosion. I can't imagine an untreated spruce 2x4 lasting very long. What about cedar? Strong enough?Anyone?

degasvegas
06-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Ive been working on a floor for my intex mariner inflatable. I used spruce plywood, sanded it, stained it and put 3 coats of Spar Urethane on it. Im sure you could use spruce 2x4's and coat it in Spar Urethane as well.

Mackinaw
06-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm in need of replacing the bunks on my boat trailer ( aluminum boat) and was wondering what type of wood I should use. I know that pressure treated lumber is no good due to copper in the wood reacting with the aluminum boat and causing corrosion. I can't imagine an untreated spruce 2x4 lasting very long. What about cedar? Strong enough?Anyone?

I don't think the pressure treated wood will be an issue here you will be covering it with carpet so there will be no contact with the boat..if someone thinks diffrenti will listen.

Mack

EZM
06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Trex Composite Lumber is my suggestion.

That brand is available in dimensional lumber sizes such as 2 x 4 and 2 x 6.

It is available in both Calgary and Edmonton and will not split, rot, grow mold.

The material can be worked with the same saws, drills, and fasteners you use on wood.

catnthehat
06-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Never had an issue with pressure treated on any of the bunks I replaced over the years, but as was stated they are covered with carpet or UMHW.:)
Cat

EZM
06-18-2014, 12:02 PM
I really like the carpet - sticky enough that you can unchain / unhook at the ramp, with the back of the truck a few feet from the water, and just back the boat in and go.

It also provides the perfect balance of friction when you properly position your trailer when re-loading.

My fear on using UMHW is that the bunks will be so slick, the washboard roads will slide you hull around just enough to test your ratchet straps not to mention the danger of prematurely sliding off when launching.

My boat is quite "back end heavy" - so that does come into play. Unfortunately the bunks are 4 full length 2x6's that are right to the back edge of the boat - so nothing can change that ....

I vote carpet - it's easy to replace if it gets worn and a has the right mix of traction to slip properties for my boat.