PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lake - People seem...reluctant to fish it?

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 09:42 AM
First of all, had the hardest time trying to find the name of the "Douglas Fir Natural Area" lake lol. (No help from Google Maps) Finally I put two and two together that it must have been the Abraham that many have spoke of on the AOF.

I came across this lake accidentally, as I was coming home from work in Jasper and decided to cut through the mountains instead of driving all the way down the parkway to Banff. Anyhow, had no idea the lake was there but as I drove along I figured it had to be 50-60 kms long. I saw one group of people ice fishing at that time, two trucks on ice and about 4 of them (pretty close to the highway), it looked like they had a few nice fish on the ice already.

I talked to a local at a convenience/gas station and he said the lake holds almost every kind of trout and it is good fishing, but AOF members seem to steer clear of this lake for some reason. Lots of Rock outcrops? Too windy? People say that about Minnewanka too but using common sense my 16' handles waves and wind np. If it is the lake some have cracked it up to be, it may be one of the last real gems in Alberta as far as pure Trout LAKES are concerned.

I'd LOVE some input on this one. For lack of better words, there seems to be a certain "mystique" or "hesitation" when it comes to Abraham and I can put my thumb on it! It seems we beat the dead horse over and over with the same old lakes (Gull, Pigeon, Cold, Minnewanka)....but Abraham there is little spoken of.

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Can't* put my thumb on it

"For lack of better words, there seems to be a certain "mystique" or "hesitation" when it comes to Abraham and I can put my thumb on it!"

cube
06-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Google Abraham lake ice and look at the images. This is one reason allot of people don't ice fish it. Gas filled ice with changing water levels is not the safest. Of course there is the wind and that is not to mention it is a long way out of the way for most people.

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Google Abraham lake ice and look at the images. This is one reason allot of people don't ice fish it. Gas filled ice with changeing water levels is not the safest and of course the wind.

oh WOW that's crazy, what kind of "gas" is causing that?! I didn't notice it in that detail when I was up there but now that I think of it, there did seem to be some inconsistencies in the ice as I was looking at it, but I had no idea so I was none the wiser.

Does the water fluctuate that much to discourage open water fishing from a boat?

RavYak
06-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I have researched Abraham and there are 3 things.

1) In winter the water level fluctuates and it is not safe because of this. There can be thin ice or the water level might be feet below the ice level. Sometimes it doesn't even freeze over supposedly.

2) It is often extremely windy there and the wind can pick up very quickly. Seen reports of 4+ foot waves because the wind funnels through. A 16 footer isn't big enough for those kinds of winds/waves, you might be able to get to shore/back to launch but you wouldn't be able to fish in them and even if you tried you wouldn't enjoy it.

3) Water levels fluctuate as it is a reservoir. There can be obstacles in water when levels are low and to fish it you would need to know the good places to go based on what the water level is at.

I really considered going there this spring but ended up talking myself out of it. It is a bit of a drive and it would be disappointing to get out there and find out it is too windy etc to fish. Supposed to be a real nice lake with some nice fish though.

cube
06-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Does the water fluctuate that much to discourage open water fishing from a boat?

No.

I was always surprised by the fact that you do not see any wind surfers there. I would think it perfect, long fetch close to a road where you can get an easy pick up on the far side and lots of wind.

In my estimation it is much windier than Minni.

tight line
06-19-2014, 10:10 AM
check the forecast, if the wind says 5km it will be 20km on Abe... it can get nasty fast... i fish it in a pontoon boat though! lol. Ice fish it alot. the ice is fine by late winter... we dont drive on though. Hit and miss on the fishing. Have caught some nice fish, and have been skunked. there was some pictures of the ice with methane bubbles in it floating around, but they are just air bubbles.. i have fished it in several locations, for quite a few years and have only seen clear hard ice.

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't blame you RavYak, it would be a bit dissappointing, but at the same time, we've all tried new streams and rivers to no avail at some point. I think it'd be fun but on a big lake like that, I agree you'd need to have a good understanding on the underwater structure. I grew up fishing Lake Superior in Ontario and it can be treacherous, but you can see incoming foul weather and there's no mountains to create a natural wind tunnel.

Knowing it is a reservoir now (thank you), you'd have a tough time convincing me to go bore some holes out there in the winter and drop a line. Man that scares me thinking of doing it.

I have researched Abraham and there are 3 things.

1) In winter the water level fluctuates and it is not safe because of this. There can be thin ice or the water level might be feet below the ice level. Sometimes it doesn't even freeze over supposedly.

2) It is often extremely windy there and the wind can pick up very quickly. Seen reports of 4+ foot waves because the wind funnels through. A 16 footer isn't big enough for those kinds of winds/waves, you might be able to get to shore/back to launch but you wouldn't be able to fish in them and even if you tried you wouldn't enjoy it.

3) Water levels fluctuate as it is a reservoir. There can be obstacles in water when levels are low and to fish it you would need to know the good places to go based on what the water level is at.

I really considered going there this spring but ended up talking myself out of it. It is a bit of a drive and it would be disappointing to get out there and find out it is too windy etc to fish. Supposed to be a real nice lake with some nice fish though.

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
check the forecast, if the wind says 5km it will be 20km on Abe... it can get nasty fast... i fish it in a pontoon boat though! lol. Ice fish it alot. the ice is fine by late winter... we dont drive on though. Hit and miss on the fishing. Have caught some nice fish, and have been skunked. there was some pictures of the ice with methane bubbles in it floating around, but i have fished it in several locations, and have only seen clear hard ice.

Awesome Tight lines! That's encouraging to hear a member that gets out there open and hard water! Surely you must not be downrigging eh? Jigging and casting primarily? I think ive read lakers, bulls and rainbows in there with the occcasional brookie, but I have zero first hand experience so I'm really curious...?!

tight line
06-19-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't blame you RavYak, it would be a bit dissappointing, but at the same time, we've all tried new streams and rivers to no avail at some point. I think it'd be fun but on a big lake like that, I agree you'd need to have a good understanding on the underwater structure. I grew up fishing Lake Superior in Ontario and it can be treacherous, but you can see incoming foul weather and there's no mountains to create a natural wind tunnel.

Knowing it is a reservoir now (thank you), you'd have a tough time convincing me to go bore some holes out there in the winter and drop a line. Man that scares me thinking of doing it.

there are areas that were deeper than my sonar depth of 200', drill a hole 50' away and you are in 15'...

jwelds191
06-19-2014, 10:19 AM
there are areas that were deeper than my sonar depth of 200', drill a hole 50' away and you are in 15'...

So what your saying is there's great drop offs to be fishing :sHa_shakeshout: lolol

tight line
06-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Awesome Tight lines! That's encouraging to hear a member that gets out there open and hard water! Surely you must not be downrigging eh? Jigging and casting primarily? I think ive read lakers, bulls and rainbows in there with the occcasional brookie, but I have zero first hand experience so I'm really curious...?!

never caught a brookie or cutt, but nice rainbows(the most beautifully coloured Bows i have ever seen!), Bulls and Lakers to 14lbs. Mainly small lakers though, you will catch 200 little ones for every big one...lol. there is supposed to be good RMWs in there, but i always target the Lakers. Vertical Jigging w/ Sonar.

tight line
06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
to every one reading this thread.. because of the water colour the Bulls and Lakers can be very similar in colour at times, they can have very few markings to identify them appart. i have seen people mistake Bulls for lakers before( not a situation were a fish was kept) but just something to keep in mind!!!

gnugen
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
to every one reading this thread.. because of the water colour the Bulls and Lakers can be very similar in colour at times, they can have very few markings to identify them appart. i have seen people mistake Bulls for lakers before( not a situation were a fish was kept) but just something to keep in mind!!!
in those misidentifications are there spots on the dorsal fins on the bull trouts?

tight line
06-19-2014, 11:12 AM
in those misidentifications are there spots on the dorsal fins on the bull trouts?

no..the Bulls have no Markings on their Dorsal, the lakers do have spots, but they are so light they are sometimes hard to see.. they will both get yellow tinge on thier fins as well. easiest way to ID the Lakers is their Forked Tail, the Bulls Tails are alot more square

Red Bullets
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Here is a study on the bull trout of Abraham from 10 years ago.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/custom/uploads/reportseries2/Upper-NSR-and-Abr-Lake-BLTR-Study-2002-2003.pdf

gnugen
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
that's what I was thinking. Start with dorsal and then tail, colour won't hinder ID as much. tnx

tight line
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Here is a study on the bull trout of Abraham from 10 years ago.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/custom/uploads/reportseries2/Upper-NSR-and-Abr-Lake-BLTR-Study-2002-2003.pdf

Thanks for posting! interesting read!

rayf01
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
If its true or not I am not sure, but I've been told there are very strong under currents which is why you don't see wind surfers etc. Also there is spots you have to be careful of standing trees? Since it was a flooded valley?

Snowdog
06-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I used to live in Golden and drive that way back to YEG every other weekend, there are signs advising of strong currents and launching boats is not advised. The water level can go up/down 6m or more in 14 days. Planning a camping trip out to preachers point this summer.

cube
06-19-2014, 03:16 PM
If its true or not I am not sure, but I've been told there are very strong under currents which is why you don't see wind surfers etc. Also there is spots you have to be careful of standing trees? Since it was a flooded valley?

I have driven by that lake many times and have never seen a standing tree in it. If you go on line and look at the pics of low water you don't see any standing trees so pretty sure it was probably logged out before the rez was filled. I can see strong currents in the vicinity of the dam but not so up the lake a bit so can’t see that as a real problem either. But then again I’m not a wind surfer so I wouldn’t know for sure.

3blade
06-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Camped on the shore a couple times. Things go from almost calm to hurricane in seconds. One night I was reading in the tent, and BAM!!! The whole ****ing thing gets flattened on top of me!! Its unreal. When you see it happen during the day, you very quickly realize why there's no boats on the water. Wind, rocks appear and disappear, currents that resemble rivers. Waves that are several feet breaking over shallow spots.

I have fished a couple creek inlets with no success. Mountain reservoirs have much less of the shallow productive zones (due to fluctuating water levels) so there's a lot less fish than a natural lake. Time it up with a spawning run and things might be interesting.

BassDude
06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
There are some beautiful spots to fish from shore there. I have caught Cuts and Rainbows there using Mepps around the current flows.

There is a beautiful spot on the west end - didn't catch any fish there, but it looks like prime territory.

I've never been inclined to ice fish it as I have heard a few too many stories about the ice - sounds tempting tho.

its a nice place to take the dog, and cast around every once in a while you catch a bonus fish and continue the walk.

Aaron Wright
06-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Was just out fishing Abraham a couple days ago. I've been fishing up there for about 15 years now and the lake is the lowest I've ever seen it, making actually getting down to the water a little tricky. With the heavy runoff and rain they've seen this year the lake is very cloudy. Fishing was not good. But I have had good success there before, mostly lakers and bulls.

fish99
06-20-2014, 08:43 PM

easy way to tell apart lakers have forked tail bulls have a square tail.

tight line
06-20-2014, 09:09 PM
no..the Bulls have no Markings on their Dorsal, the lakers do have spots, but they are so light they are sometimes hard to see.. they will both get yellow tinge on thier fins as well. easiest way to ID the Lakers is their Forked Tail, the Bulls Tails are alot more square

Yup^^^^ said that! Lol

Nakoda boater
06-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Is there any boat launches/ramps there?

Red Bullets
06-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Is there any boat launches/ramps there?

No real boat launches but a few mentions on the internet of one supposedly on the north end. Because the water levels change so much is porbably the reason.