PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Elite 7 HDI Issues

Envitro
06-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed the Elite 7 HDI with the 83/200 433/800 transducer.

Did everything as per instructions, placed it a good distance from the centreline of the transom to avoid prop wash/disturbance.

It works just fine but I seem to have issues when going about 20-30mph mostly, and at random times as well. I'm not getting any kinds of depth reading, all it shows is '0.0' and flashes. Even when I stop and put it in idle it has a lot of trouble regaining depth readings. It effectively reads 0.0 for a long time and I have to mess around with the settings and effectively restart the unit to get a proper reading.

When working it seems great, but it has also rebooted itself a few times over the weekend.

Do I have a faulty unit? Is my transducer installed incorrectly? Right now the angle is flush with the bottom of the boat hull. I did notice that Lowrance said that if you experience issues to put the angle up a little on the transducer.

Any thoughts would be good before I waste time with support folks.

Thanks!

Brandonkop
06-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Mine does the same thing from what I read online this is a common problem. I just restart and get on with life.

Walleyedude
06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
The HDI skimmer transducer on the Elite 7 HDI is an amazing transducer. Do a quick google search on some of the target separation tests and images it can produce, it's very impressive. I'd look into the transducer setup first. Have a look at the bottom of your hull where you have your transducer mounted. Is there anything to cause turbulence? Rivets? Seam? A strake? If so, try to reposition it to get away from that into clean water.

I'd also try moving the transducer 1/8"-1/4" deeper into the water. You might get a but more of a rooster tail, but it's often well worth it.

Next, experiment with slightly tilting the transducer. You may have to tilt it so that the back end is slightly lower than the front for optimal high speed readings. I've also seen situations where tilting it up at the back slightly can really help with depth readings and sonar clarity. This is especially critical when mounting a Structure Scan transducer. The boat doesn't sit level in the water, it always sits with the transom lower, even at planing speeds, so that slight angle helps to keep the transducer flat/parallel to the bottom.

Lastly, go into your menu settings and set your ping speed to max and increase your sensitivity, both of those things will help you maintain a bottom lock at speed.

Mackinaw
06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
The HDI skimmer transducer on the Elite 7 HDI is an amazing transducer. Do a quick google search on some of the target separation tests and images it can produce, it's very impressive. I'd look into the transducer setup first. Have a look at the bottom of your hull where you have your transducer mounted. Is there anything to cause turbulence? Rivets? Seam? A strake? If so, try to reposition it to get away from that into clean water.

I'd also try moving the transducer 1/8"-1/4" deeper into the water. You might get a but more of a rooster tail, but it's often well worth it.

Next, experiment with slightly tilting the transducer. You may have to tilt it so that the back end is slightly lower than the front for optimal high speed readings. I've also seen situations where tilting it up at the back slightly can really help with depth readings and sonar clarity. This is especially critical when mounting a Structure Scan transducer. The boat doesn't sit level in the water, it always sits with the transom lower, even at planing speeds, so that slight angle helps to keep the transducer flat/parallel to the bottom.

Lastly, go into your menu settings and set your ping speed to max and increase your sensitivity, both of those things will help you maintain a bottom lock at speed.

This -------i had an issue with mine when I first installed it adjusted transducer no more problem

Mack

Lornce
06-19-2014, 12:59 PM
This -------i had an issue with mine when I first installed it adjusted transducer no more problem
Mack

Same thing happened to me, I installed it and got on the lake, it wouldn't work. Adjusted the angle a bit and bingo, perfect picture.