PDA

View Full Version : Got mushrooms?

ccmckee
06-19-2014, 08:41 PM
These bad boys pop up in my yard every summer, any of you experts know what type they are.

Matt L.
06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Look like a bunch of fun guys.

HunterDave
06-19-2014, 08:59 PM
We have a bunch out at the lake. I don't know what they are but they aren't any good for anything.

FishingMOM
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
We have a bunch out at the lake. I don't know what they are but they aren't any good for anything.

Sure they are, every time stinky sees them he goes absolutely crazy jumping on them ........ he loves seeing mushrooms and stomping them back into the earth into which they came from.

Now if he ever thought they were edible, he would be marching into the house and trying to cook them.

walking buffalo
06-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Stinky should know that these are Inky Caps (Coprinus sp. (atramentarius)).

He can collect some, let them mature in a jar and use the liquid as an ink. It makes a great paint for those white shirts. :)

They can be eaten, but NEVER with alcohol the day before or 3-4 days after eating them as this will likely make you wish you didn't. Don't confuse Ink Caps with Shaggy Manes (Coprinus comatus) which are great eating with a rare steak and a beer.

Most people just don't bother with Ink Caps as there are plenty of other safer varieties of shrooms poppin up now.