PDA

View Full Version : sea lamprays

brohymn2
06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
,amo just watched a show on these things, by far the ugliest thing ive ever seen

ESOXangler
06-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I pulled a few lakers out of the nipigon that had a few of those blood suckers on them. Even a real nice speck, about 24" long. The area around the hole looked sucked in even. Terrible critters! They say they've had a major effect on superiors lakers! Killem all!!!!

Steven Noel
06-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Much like suckers, they play an important (though different) role in the ecosystem: carving--quite literally--their niche out well enough to survive. I see no reason to kill them, though they are fascinating.

On a side note, Arctic Lampreys have been recorded once in Alberta: in the Slave River just south of the NWT border.

densa44
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
They arrived in the upper lakes after the Welland canal was built. The killed all the Blue Pickerel in lake Erie and the lakers. The Ontario government has gone to great expense to eliminate them.

please do your part.

fish gunner
06-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Witnessed a few in lake ont , and the effects in huron. Iirc they are invasive to the great lakes themselves and a scurge on coldwater fish. Of no comercial or spot value im aware of . ... could be a savior if silver carp make the lakes. Something to think on.

Mackinaw
06-20-2014, 12:02 AM
They arrived in the upper lakes after the Welland canal was built. The killed all the Blue Pickerel in lake Erie and the lakers. The Ontario government has gone to great expense to eliminate them.

please do your part.

X2 have seen the issues they have caused.

BeeGuy
06-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Much like suckers, they play an important (though different) role in the ecosystem: carving--quite literally--their niche out well enough to survive. I see no reason to kill them, though they are fascinating.

On a side note, Arctic Lampreys have been recorded once in Alberta: in the Slave River just south of the NWT border.

Kill them all.

If our fisheries in ON were in their native state, lampreys would not likely be an issue.

However, our fisheries are highly managed, and numerous factors, such as invasive species can have devastating impacts.

I remember them pouring some sort of chemicals in rivers in the '80's in a desperate attempt to control them.

They are hardly buggers and not easily dispatched with a boot.

The Reel Deal
06-20-2014, 06:25 AM
I caught one off the side of a laker in Lake Ontario when I was a kid. Took it home alive to put in my aquarium. It didn't survive the night. Creepy looking, but fascinating.

Kurt505
06-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Awesome sturgeon bait.