PDA

View Full Version : home security systems

rugatika
06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Had some sunglasses stolen from my truck last night, and they went through the console...I'm usually pretty diligent about locking my truck, so not sure if they got in some other way or if I forgot to lock it. Nothing else stolen, that I noticed anyway. Left my GPS, leatherman, binoculars and never touched the change...I guess they just really liked the Oakleys sitting on the dash. Anyway, I want to get some footage of it if light fingers Louie decides he sees something else he likes.

I know Costco had some security systems...are these any good? Looking for something that has decent resolution, that I can mount outside somehow and save the video.

Any recommends?

dmcbride
06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Had some sunglasses stolen from my truck last night, and they went through the console...I'm usually pretty diligent about locking my truck, so not sure if they got in some other way or if I forgot to lock it. Nothing else stolen, that I noticed anyway. Left my GPS, leatherman, binoculars and never touched the change...I guess they just really liked the Oakleys sitting on the dash. Anyway, I want to get some footage of it if light fingers Louie decides he sees something else he likes.

I know Costco had some security systems...are these any good? Looking for something that has decent resolution, that I can mount outside somehow and save the video.

Any recommends?

Use a good trail camera. Works better at night.

Marsha
06-20-2014, 01:40 PM
I have the Q-see system Costco sells and they are quite good, but you have to check out the kits listing some are cheaper than others but seem to be the same..

you have to look at the cameras look for resolusion and the IR or night range of the camera I have cameras that see great for hundereds of feet daytime clear as can be an at night totally SUCK pass 20 feet
bought a camera rated for 120 feet and it was great...

The difference is in the details (read carefully):thinking-006:

bat119
06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd like to get some cameras around my place the problem is powering the cameras, everywhere I want to put one is a long ways from an outlet or the oulet is easy to get at and the crafty criminal could just unplug it.

silverdoctor
06-20-2014, 02:55 PM
IMO, most camera kits are not worth the money you pay.

Had 2 clients in the last 3 months insist I hang their costco cams - 4 cam kit with DVR. Pure and utter crap, couldn't even make out colors in fair light at 10 feet, let alone a face. You will get what you pay for.

If its close quarters, basic d-link cams work a treat, good bang for the buck.

For those that want cams some distance from an outlet, your best bet is Power Over Ethernet (POE) cameras. They run off cat 5 or cat6 and have a range of 30 - 40 meters but you can get extenders to increase the range. You can bury a cat6 cable, and run it to a cam. POE switches aren't cheap but they are the answer - and basically a POE cam is powered and networked by a single cable.

rugatika
06-20-2014, 03:08 PM
thanks for all the info so far. Basically I want something I can put under the garage eve and cover the driveway (20X20). Not sure if that would require 1 or 2 cameras. Talked to a security company today and they said one camera should cover the driveway. Camera was 250 to 350 each, and 4 channel dvr was 350 plus a max of 250 for install.

Bubble type cam or bullet cam...he said bullet cam was the best.

redcoat01
06-20-2014, 03:16 PM
I went with a couple of Dropcam Wireless Cameras. You do have to plug them to a Power Source and have WIFI.

https://www.dropcam.com/product

You can pay a fee for yearly Cloud access , easily monitored through your smart phone , tablet of Computer .

Its simple and works great :)

silverdoctor
06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
I went with a couple of Dropcam Wireless Cameras. You do have to plug them to a Power Source and have WIFI.

https://www.dropcam.com/product

You can pay a fee for yearly Cloud access , easily monitored through your smart phone , tablet of Computer .

Its simple and works great :)

And here's the reason I don't buy/use cloud anything. Dropcam's TOU allows them to access and use the video your cams upload. Google is looking at buying them, if they do - i'd consider throwing them in the garbage. Google is looking into total home automation - that they have full access to believe it or not.

You hereby grant us with a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable and transferable right to exploit such User Submissions (including all related intellectual property rights) solely in connection with providing you the Services and as directed by you. You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Services a non-exclusive license to access and use your User Submissions through the Services and as permitted through the functionality of the Services and under this Agreement. Furthermore, you understand that we retain the right to reformat, modify, create derivative works of, excerpt, and translate any User Submissions submitted by you. For clarity, the foregoing license grant to Dropcam does not affect your ownership of or right to grant additional licenses to the material in your User Submissions, unless otherwise agreed in writing. We will only share your personally identifiable information in accordance with our Privacy Policy located at www.dropcam.com/privacy.

edmontonshooter
06-20-2014, 06:45 PM
I have a Uniden system that is motion activated with one camera mounted high under the eve on my front attached garage and a second camera on the back of the house. It works very well...including all through the Alberta winter. It is set high enough that it is far out of reach. Had to run power through the wall into the garage to plug it in but the signal itself is wireless. We have it set so it actually records every time there is motion in our driveway, approaching our front sidewalk and even whenever a vehicle goes by on the street or someone walks by. Each recording is a separate file. I have a 32 GB SD card in the display unit so the memory has to be purged every 6 days or so. The nightvision wouldn't compare with a professional system but we have no complaints given what it cost. The system in theory has the ability to connect to online remote viewing but that is the one feature that hasn't worked for us. Extra cameras are also available.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Uniden-Guardian-Wireless-Video-Surveillance-System---Factory-Reconditioned---G766RB/L7549157,default,pd.html?start=4&q=uniden