PDA

View Full Version : Rosebud River Gil Netting ??

dodger
06-21-2014, 08:19 AM
First off I am not accusing anyone as there might be a legitimate answer!

A buddy ( who does not fish ) sent me a text late last night saying he just saw some Hutterites stringing a gill net across the Rosebud River west of Rosebud.

Is there " any " possible reason to be doing this other than the obvious that comes to mind?

Dodger.

Forest Techer
06-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Might be a good question for a co

dodger
06-21-2014, 09:05 AM
He is going to report it today.

Just seems so blatant to be setting a net beside a road people are passing by on. That was why I thought if their was a possible explanation?

Dodger.

JohninAB
06-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Your buddy should have phoned the Report a Poacher line as soon as he witnessed it. Fish and Wildlife officer would have dealt with it by either going to investigate or explaining that the Hutterrites had the authority to do so which is highly unlikely in all probability.

dodger
06-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Your buddy should have phoned the Report a Poacher line as soon as he witnessed it. Fish and Wildlife officer would have dealt with it by either going to investigate or explaining that the Hutterrites had the authority to do so which is highly unlikely in all probability.

Yep - The general public who do not fish and hunt and have no idea what the laws are keep the report a poacher number close by!! This is the all inclusive answer we would expect. That is why he sent me a text as he knew I fished and he thought he should ask. Maybe give credit to the fact he actually asked what to do and I told him!

My thread is just looking for an explanation other than the possible " obvious " .

Dodger.

roper1
06-21-2014, 11:19 AM
As you friend is not a fisherman, was he sure it was a gill net? There sure aren't much in the way of sport fish in there & not much water to support any commercial fishery.

Flieguy
06-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Pretty sure I've also seen hutterites poaching at PCR.

Don't get me wrong, most hutterites I've met have been the nicest of people.

Pegasus
06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Maybe they are just trying to get rid of the Prussian Carp.

SCHOOCH
06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately we will probably never know and they will probably not even get questioned about it. I give your buddy credit for actually questioning if that is a normal thing, most people would shrudge their shoulders and carry on.

Winch101
06-21-2014, 01:12 PM
It was probably the Fish Boss ( pronounced Bowze ) .

I've met very few that weren't a little iffy in the legal depatment .

Likely just washing out their nets .....:sign0068:

goldscud
06-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Prussian carp for chicken and pig food...for free

Lornce
06-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Poachers

Bill L
06-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Maybe that they are after suckers

jeprli
06-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Bingo! Pigs and chicken love to eat Prussian carp. Someone could turn a profit making animal food.

Prussian carp for chicken and pig food...for free

walking buffalo
06-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Dodger, please let us know what ESRD says.

My guess is these people have a licence to net Prussian Carp.