PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten Shot

Mike_W
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Hello there well I am an avid big game hunter I have yet to shoot a goose or duck mainly due to a farmed goose thanksgiving dinner years back that didn't turn out too good.

I refuse to shoot something I won't consume ..so quite simply never even thought of goose hunting...well can't say I havent thought about it because I have thought several times about how fun it would be.

Well this weekend I have the opprotunity to attend a goose shoot with out needing to buy and goose set up and will be able to try a goose on the plate. Now I understand that lead shot has been banned for hunting migratory birds however I have a full choke smith and wesson 12 gauge and shooting steel isnt an option.

I have been told that I can use Tungsten shot and not cause any barrel damage.

Any thoughts on the Tungsten shot? and will it actually be safe in my barrel?

Thanks,
Mike

7 REM MAG
11-06-2008, 12:26 PM
any of the high density stuff will be fine in your gun but its pricey as he!!

Faststeel
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Mike is you gun capable of taking 3 inch shell or is it a 2 3/4 inch chamber?
P*D has some inventory of Kent Tungsten Matrix, but I think it is all 3 inch ammo. If you get stuck send me a PM and I'll dip into my private stash. FS

theduke
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
try havi-shot

ABDUKNUT
11-07-2008, 09:12 AM
any of the high density stuff will be fine in your gun but its pricey as he!!

A little confused? Most of the Tungsten alloy shots are NOT considered an alternative to lead- With the exception of Tungsten Matrix, and Bismuth, and HeviShot 'Classic Doubles'.

Although far from 'unsafe', you will not get the performance you desire shooting HeviShot or Tungsten through a F choke. Both are EXTREMELY hard, harder than steel, and need a MOD or IMP MOD choke.

7 REM MAG
11-08-2008, 02:04 AM
little confused? Most of the Tungsten alloy shots are NOT considered an alternative to lead- With the exception of Tungsten Matrix, and Bismuth, and HeviShot 'Classic Doubles'.

Although far from 'unsafe', you will not get the performance you desire shooting HeviShot or Tungsten through a F choke. Both are EXTREMELY hard, harder than steel, and need a MOD or IMP MOD choke

Does this not come form the person who was reccomending that someone shoot #2 steel thru a full choke? and if your going to say dont shoot the HD stuff in a full choke because its harder than steel then you better not reccomend an imp mod choke as you cant shoot steel thru them either. For a self claimed "duk nut" your giving contradictory info and advice. Is the bismuth stuff not advertised at heavier than lead and softer than steel?