PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Disabled in Calgary Area

graphic guy
06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi all I'm new here and wondering if anyone can guide me in the right direction. I'm disabled and have limited mobility and would like to keep fishing in some way. Where could I go that would be relatively easy for someone like myself to go and enjoy myself. Species doesn't really matter as in my eyes any fish is a good fish. Anothe thing is that I'm new to Alberta, my fishing background is mainly salt water.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Crankbait
06-21-2014, 10:04 PM
what end of town do you live?

graphic guy
06-21-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm in the south east

Crankbait
06-21-2014, 11:27 PM
so south. does your mobility prevent you from driving?

if not and you need to get your fish fix, go to pine coulee reservoir with a jighead and a tub of minnows and fish the south end of the lake for easier access. i'll pm you some other easier spots to get to tomorrow.

graphic guy
06-22-2014, 01:40 PM
so south. does your mobility prevent you from driving?

if not and you need to get your fish fix, go to pine coulee reservoir with a jighead and a tub of minnows and fish the south end of the lake for easier access. i'll pm you some other easier spots to get to tomorrow.

Thanks Crankbait much appreciated, they won't let me drive in this province but I could drive where I came from, don't understand why but that's governments for you.

graphic guy
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
The "tube of minnows" is a new term that I've never heard before; what exactly does it mean?

Battery
06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
The "tube of minnows" is a new term that I've never heard before; what exactly does it mean?

Tub of minnows is exactly that. A tub of minnows for bait, they will all be gone at pine coulee

jpohlic
06-23-2014, 07:07 PM
A little further out from Calgary is the William Watson Lodge in the Kananaskis. They offer accommodation/camping/trails/fishing etc that is barrier free, but you need to reserve in advance.

http://albertaparks.ca/peter-lougheed/information-facilities/special-facilities/william-watson-lodge.aspx

Richard B.
06-23-2014, 07:54 PM
The ponds at Carburn park are designed to be barrier free for mobility challenged fishers

graphic guy
06-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Going to try Pine Coulee tomorrow. Where can one get a"tub of minnows" in Calgary or along the way down? Are these minnows salted or treated in some way? Where I last lived we hand cast nets for baitfish. Any help greatly appreciated.

the local angler
06-24-2014, 03:47 PM
any place that carries fishing gear would normally have a bait fridge like crappy tire, the fishing hole, wholesales sports, walmart.

ps: another thing is mount lorrette ponds(3 long ponds) is also paved and should be user friendly for wheel chair access but the problem is it gets fished out fairly quick.

Battery
06-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Going to try Pine Coulee tomorrow. Where can one get a"tub of minnows" in Calgary or along the way down? Are these minnows salted or treated in some way? Where I last lived we hand cast nets for baitfish. Any help greatly appreciated.

Fishin hole, Canadian tire, anywhere that sells a fishing license really. Good luck!

graphic guy
06-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Got out today and it was a tough bite, figure the cold front that came through gave most of the fish lock jaw. I did manage to land 2 though.

spinN'flyfish
06-25-2014, 08:13 PM
hey bud nice fishes, where did you go im sure the fishing this week hasn't been too good due to rain

graphic guy
06-25-2014, 09:42 PM
hey bud nice fishes, where did you go im sure the fishing this week hasn't been too good due to rain

Went to PCR

gnugen
06-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Went to PCR
Glad this thread started! I'm in Calgary this weekend for a huge fishing product liquidation sale and wanna wet the lines after the sale. If anyone is around stop by... link below.

graphic guy
06-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Glad this thread started! I'm in Calgary this weekend for a huge fishing product liquidation sale and wanna wet the lines after the sale. If anyone is around stop by... link below.

really pushing your sale aren't you.....this should be allowed . It's not on any other forum I frequent.

Geezle
06-27-2014, 08:39 AM
really pushing your sale aren't you.....this should be allowed . It's not on any other forum I frequent.

It's technically not allowed here either, though some stuff does fly under the radar.

If it bugs you report the post and it'll go away :)

Bassett
06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
It's technically not allowed here either, though some stuff does fly under the radar.

If it bugs you report the post and it'll go away :)

He was pretty good on he announced it, stated what he needs to do and if anyone wants to come by they get to fish after haha! I like invitational adverts like that. I hate the forums where every second post is an advertisement.