PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Arm

Bernie420
06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
So i am heading out here for the 3rd week of july and like to take my son for a day of fishing. I know nothing about fishing this area. Looking for ideas on places within 1/2hr. I have considered a guide but not finding many options. Maybe just renting a boat as well. Open to any species. I fly fish but the little guy is still chuckin gear so i might have to join him on this day. Let me know if you have any advice or contacts for guides theyve been out with.
Thanks

wildwoods
06-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I have been going there for years. I prefer rocky points in around 45-50 fow. Downriggers with wedding bands or good ole 5 of diamonds. Should catch Kokanee, steelhead or rainbow. Tough lake to fish at times in the summer heat. I'm sure a local would kick my butt out there.... Guide might be fun just to find where the fish are at.

Bernie420
06-23-2014, 11:19 PM
See this is where im in trouble. I have no idea about down riggers. Like i said...i fly fish. Thinking i may need a guide. Know any?

waterninja
06-24-2014, 07:29 AM
may i suggest white lake? it's about 30 mins. away from salmon arm with paved road all the way. it's a beautifull lake with big rainbow trout. just google "white lake bc" or "sunny shore resort" for more info. on boat rentals etc.
if you do decide to try it out, PM me and i'll give you some tips that work well on that lake as i have fished it a lot. no fancy equipement or downriggers needed.

Randyandkim
06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
X2 on white lake, Skimikin is also a possible option, only about 20 min from salmon arm, small lake, I've caught up to 3lbs rainbows fly fishing from shore, there's a creek flowing into it also, if your a fan of crayfish they can be caught by hand and are good eating out of there. On Shushwap we always had good luck using downriggers, not to say they are a must, but try large flatfish, apex lures, plugs... Also found willow leaf/ford fender type flashers to be helpful and if your going for Kokanee maybe downsize The gear a little bit and pick up some snubbers, I was always told to use em, I guess the Kokanee have soft mouth? And You don't have to troll extremely slow. I never tried fly fishing Shushwap, but there are plenty of smaller lakes in the area that are suitable, BC fishing road map?? I think is the book... Same like our back road Map books but theres a fishing one for BC, good book to grab.

Red Bullets
06-24-2014, 11:30 AM
This suggestion is maybe a little more than 30 minutes away from Salmon Arm but has nice fishing and rents boats for cheap. This is closer to Vernon. You can check out the places rate.

http://postilllake.com/

Red Bullets
06-24-2014, 04:49 PM
one more suggestion... IF you can rent a boat on the little shushwap lake .. I have had good success with a willowleaf gangtroll and a silver flatfish 3 feet behind. Had my best luck trolling along the north shore straight north of the town of Chase.

fishinggeek
06-26-2014, 06:28 PM
We're headed to shushwaps in a couple days. I remember there was a no keep reg on Kokanee. Iv bin searching threw and seems theres a 2 limit now. Just wondering if this is correct? Ill post up a thread when we get back ty in advance.