PDA

View Full Version : Columbia River Canada and fishing around Kelowna???

Brandonkop
06-23-2014, 04:18 PM
I'll be spending some time in BC this summer and was wondering what kind of fish I should go after. Turns out my favorite thing to catch is only 4 hours away from where I'll be staying! Walleye!

I was wondering If anyone has ever fished the Columbia north of the boarder from Trail to Castlegar up to the Keenleyside dam. Seems like the fish are not the monsters they are in the Columbia further down the way, but they seem plentiful and you can keep some for dinner without the needing a tag!

I hear its also home to some world class trout fishing for hefty rainbows.

I hope to make it down there and if I do I'll let you know if its worth fishing if I don't hear back from anyone.

I'll be around Kelowna and plan to fish:
Kalamalka, Gardom, Mabel, Swan, Oyama... any other places you guys would recommend out there???

Thanks. I've only ever fished Wood Lake for Kokanee in the area and since it is closed to fishing to let stocks rebuild I have to expand my options.

BeeGuy
06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Sure helps to have a boat targeting the wallies starting below the HK Dam.

Trout fishing is great from shore. So too is the kokanee, bulls etc.

Love that area.

fish gunner
06-23-2014, 04:50 PM
You might want to check on the size of the bows below the dam ...of size is all I will say. Lots of great spots in the area. Lots of tail water sections( hint ) the confluence of the two big rivers is a popular pool . As suggested a boat really makes a big difference. Rod at the fly shop in castlegar is a great help and a guru on the surrounding waters. The lakes in the area are perhaps the world standard for big bows and bulls, yes larger have been taken but not in the scenery of the west kootaneys. PM if you habe need of more input . Some wading can be done not far from castlegar /nelson area. Tight lines. :)

Red Bullets
06-23-2014, 05:46 PM
When you are around Kelowna drive an hour south to Vaseux Lake south of Penticton. Largemouth and smallmouth Bass. Can be shore fished. I have also caught a few trout to 8 lbs there. On the top ten list of Bass lakes in Western Canada.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tips/post/top-ten-bass-fishing-spots-in-western-canada-6

Brandonkop
06-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info, I was planning on dragging the boat down and dumping it in the river. This section of the river should be fine for an outboard motor right? looks deep to me from what people say.

Vaseux lakes sounds great too the only thing is I can't put the boat on because it is a no motors allowed type of lake. I guess that is what makes it so great. I actually read that article last night. Maybe I'll have to drop a dingy in or fish from shore sounds pretty good!

fish gunner
06-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I was planning on dragging the boat down and dumping it in the river. This section of the river should be fine for an outboard motor right? looks deep to me from what people say.

Vaseux lakes sounds great too the only thing is I can't put the boat on because it is a no motors allowed type of lake. I guess that is what makes it so great. I actually read that article last night. Maybe I'll have to drop a dingy in or fish from shore sounds pretty good!

The upper castlegar section is fine for a boat . We ran a 16' 25hp it was safe as houses to the mill. Cant speak of above. Many run the sections below castlegar I have had no need to pass much below the confluence.

Brandonkop
06-24-2014, 12:02 AM
The upper castlegar section is fine for a boat . We ran a 16' 25hp it was safe as houses to the mill. Cant speak of above. Many run the sections below castlegar I have had no need to pass much below the confluence.

Thanks so much... yeah I have a 16 foot with 75 and a kicker so might take a run up to the tailwater below the dam and check things out if I get out there. Now I need to convince the wife to go on a little sight seeing since it is a little ways from Kelowna, haha.

Have you ever fished Lower Arrow Lake. I'd like to give it a shot too. Sounds like big Gerrards, bulls and kokanee?

fish gunner
06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks so much... yeah I have a 16 foot with 75 and a kicker so might take a run up to the tailwater below the dam and check things out if I get out there. Now I need to convince the wife to go on a little sight seeing since it is a little ways from Kelowna, haha.

Have you ever fished Lower Arrow Lake. I'd like to give it a shot too. Sounds like big Gerrards, bulls and kokanee?

Yep standard big lake stuff, boards , downriggers for the differnt temp, water state. Been a while, its a stunning area. It can be very sketchy you have very little lee way if it comes up nasty and it can come with next to no warning. Creek mouths , prevaling lee sides of points. Should have great scum lines now. Also water level can make a big differance . Seranga park and the marina . The barge man was a big scot good guy if hes still abought.

Evan83
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
How did you make out for Walleye on the Columbia? Looking to make a trip out there next summer.

Bjay
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Live on the Columbia at Castlegar. Used to be good walleye fishing but something has happened in the last 3-4 years and the walleye don't seam to come up the river any more. I have stopped fishing for them, just a waist of time. I have been told that they are being netted in the lake.
Bjay

thumper
09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I was targeting walleye 2 weeks ago. I took 2 in the big pool where the Koot and the Col join. One 5 lbs, the other 3 lbs. One on a jig, the other on a slow spinner rig. Right at dusk.
Pretty slow fishing, but a very tasty reward!

Evan83
09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Ya the reason I was asking is the limit is 16 walleye in Washington which might be affecting the numbers in BC.

Brandonkop
09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
The bcfishn guys always seem to do good they went last week and caught 5 one evening on jigs. I unfortunately did not get down there this year.

spinN'flyfish
09-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Try shannon lake for small largies if you want to just catch something. Even better If you fish the shuswap at enderby around this time i think you might hook into a spring salmon or two

Brandonkop
09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
The bcfishn guys always seem to do good they went last week and caught 5 one evening on jigs. I unfortunately did not get down there this year.

spinN'flyfish
09-03-2014, 09:11 PM

shuswap or columbia

jeprli
09-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Skaha smallies were on last weekend, boat launch at Okanagan falls was busy with fisherman, east side of lake was fishing good. I finally got one on a popper fly, use bigger lures to keep drinks away.

Brandonkop
09-03-2014, 11:33 PM
The fish where from the Columbia River. Walleye that is.

I fished Mabel lake for Chinook but didn't catch any I got underwater footage and will post once I have time.

Fished oso yous lake sockeye run and caught a limit of 4.

Fished Kalamalka all summer and caught lots of rainbows and big kokanee.

Now back in alberta.

spinN'flyfish
09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
were you bar fishing and trolling lures for the sockeyes on osoyoos

Brandonkop
09-04-2014, 10:08 PM
were you bar fishing and trolling lures for the sockeyes on osoyoos

Trolling on oso too lake down rigger 50 to 60 feet down with dodger and pink hoochie.