PDA

View Full Version : Newell Dangers

SCHOOCH
06-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Hit Newell last Sunday for the 1st time with the boat and got really lucky i didn't destroy my lower leg and hull. South East part of the lake we were clipping along and noticed a huge rock shoal.....looked like a old road sort of, there were quite a few large boulders just under the surface and it came off the shore and ran pretty far out into the main part of lake. I do have a few new marks on the prop and feel lucky that it wasn't a lot worse. This should really be marked off in my mind with markers of some kind. Lesson learned though to keep it really slow in unfamiliar waters. On the bright side the fishing was awesome !!!!

sanjuanworm
06-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Can it be seen from space?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lake+Newell/@50.4098846,-111.9412638,9184m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x536d7a7ae098e37f:0xdd69a c197c910c28

I've never boated Newell but i'd like to.

SCHOOCH
06-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Wayne Christie was with me and said its that point that you can see on the map that runs off down by the Rolling Hills Outlet......

Jamie Black R/T
06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
shows up clear as day on that sat image.

good practice on lakes with no depth maps available is to google map them...this is a great example of what you could find ahead of time.

glad you avoided a hit...could have been nasty.

SCHOOCH
06-26-2014, 12:46 PM

good practice on lakes with no depth maps available is to google map them...this is a great example of what you could find ahead of time.

Ya i agree.......i was just amazed that it wasn't marked with anything, on a side note the fishing was pretty good right by there in the 12-15 foot range. Always a bright side to every situation!!!!!

Old Wizard
06-26-2014, 01:19 PM

Check here for depth maps.
http://esrd.alberta.ca/forms-maps-services/maps/prairies-area-bathymetry-maps/colour-bathymetry-maps.aspx

Wes_G
06-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I would always check for depth charts of the lake I am going to, if I have never been there. And if not then at least take a look at google earth, you can usually see a lot of this kind of stuff. Newell has a lot of shallow spots to watch out for especially once you start going south.

drhu22
06-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Thats an old railway grade crossing the sw part of the lake... Maybe what youre talking about? It used to be good trolling for walleye alongside it.
http://s29.postimg.org/c3l393qkn/eaglel.jpg

Woops!
I was thinking Eagle....
:snapoutofit:

pikester
06-29-2014, 05:41 PM
There's a fairly shallow shoal on the north east corner of the lake, just leaving the south side of Pumphouse Bay as well that could eat legs on deep running boats.

Not a 100% certain but I was told that shoal on the south end is the one that claimed a power boat & a fire rescue boat on the same night which tragically claimed the life of a young girl a few years ago. Newell can be a great place to fish but demands as much respect as some of the largest lakes in the country. I've been caught in 3ft swells out there in my 16ft tinner & thankful to this day that I made it home!

WayneChristie
06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Im very surprised that shoal isnt marked, it comes up pretty quick at any speed and there are some boulders that are pretty close to the surface. now I know why there is usually a pressure ridge there in the winter

pikester
06-29-2014, 06:56 PM
There's a fairly shallow shoal on the north east corner of the lake, just leaving the south side of Pumphouse Bay as well that could eat legs on deep running boats.

Not a 100% certain but I was told that shoal on the south end is the one that claimed a power boat & a fire rescue boat on the same night which tragically claimed the life of a young girl a few years ago. Newell can be a great place to fish but demands as much respect as some of the largest lakes in the country. I've been caught in 3ft swells out there in my 16ft tinner & thankful to this day that I made it home!

That should be north west doh!

SCHOOCH
06-30-2014, 01:13 PM
quote:Not a 100% certain but I was told that shoal on the south end is the one that claimed a power boat & a fire rescue boat on the same night which tragically claimed the life of a young girl a few years ago.

It that is the case, why the hell would this not be marked off. I really should have done my own due diligence as suggested a couple of posts above and looked at google earth but didn't obviously!! I can just imagine how many boats/motors have had the wrath of those rocks over the years :budo: