PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get young kid into fishing

DuhPikeMasta
06-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Evening gents and ladies,
I am taking my girlfriends little brother out fishing tomorrow morning. I want to make sure he has an awesome and memorable experience. We live in lethbridge and I'm willing to go as far as chain and police outpost. I don't care what we catch as long as he has fun. I have two questions for you all, one where is biting decent? And two, is clear lake by stavely still producing big pike? We will be fishing from shore so any information would help a ton!
Cheers,
Brennan

Flieguy
06-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Forget clear and chain and hit up Pine Coulee. Do a forum search, there's probably more information on it than any other lake.

Slip bobber with 1/4oz jig and chunk of minnow 6' underneath by the bridge or 8' under off the dock.

countless walleye. Took my girlfriend's niece and nephew there (7 and 9) and their combined total in an hour and a half pushed 50. Never been skunked there, usually lose count.

NEWB
06-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Evening gents and ladies,
I am taking my girlfriends little brother out fishing tomorrow morning. I want to make sure he has an awesome and memorable experience. We live in lethbridge and I'm willing to go as far as chain and police outpost. I don't care what we catch as long as he has fun. I have two questions for you all, one where is biting decent? And two, is clear lake by stavely still producing big pike? We will be fishing from shore so any information would help a ton!
Cheers,
Brennan

Make the trip around him. Encourage him to bring his favorite toy or two. His toys can help him fish or "hold the rod, be on the look out for fish", etc.

While you are there teach him about nature, look for beaver dams, look for birds, etc. chances are he will get bored at some point on the trip.

Bring snacks or treats for him.

Depending on age you can also assign him some easy "important tasks" such as opening the bait, opening a bag, holding the net, etc.

When you are teaching a young kid about fishing, its about catching smiles and not the fish. The fish help bring large smiles for sure but its the quality time and one on one time is what counts!

Flieguy
06-29-2014, 02:26 PM
^^^ yeah, junk food helps too. Watch that the favorite toy doesn't end up off the dock.

Steven Noel
06-29-2014, 02:38 PM
^^^ yeah, junk food helps too. Watch that the favorite toy doesn't end up off the dock.

x2, buoyant toys are advised.

pinelakeperch
06-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Forget clear and chain and hit up Pine Coulee. Do a forum search, there's probably more information on it than any other lake.

Slip bobber with 1/4oz jig and chunk of minnow 6' underneath by the bridge or 8' under off the dock.

countless walleye. Took my girlfriend's niece and nephew there (7 and 9) and their combined total in an hour and a half pushed 50. Never been skunked there, usually lose count.

I'm taking my girlfriend to Pine Coulee on Canada Day, can you please give me some instructions on how to get to the bridge coming from SE Calgary?

TROLLER
06-29-2014, 03:59 PM
#2 south turn right at the Stavely turn off. You will cross the bridge parking on your left hand side. Just a few klm down the road. Go a little further and turn left it will take you to the main campground and boat launch.

pinelakeperch
07-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Should I buy bait in Calgary or is there a spot in Stavely where I can buy some? Leeches, minnows, or worms? Thanks everyone, can't wait:)

Flieguy
07-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Should I buy bait in Calgary or is there a spot in Stavely where I can buy some? Leeches, minnows, or worms? Thanks everyone, can't wait:)

The esso right at the north end of nanton. Buy a bucket or two of minnows and cut them up into halves or thirds

WayneChristie
07-01-2014, 08:54 AM
take the young guy to Enchant , fish with a bobber and maggots or pice of worm on a plain hook of ice fishing jig. should get enough perch steady to keep him going and also the odd stocker trout. theres a playground and beach there as well.

pinelakeperch
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone, we did quite well today, 30-40 walleye.

crosman177
07-09-2014, 09:08 PM
That's awesome!!! Where did you end up going?? Any pictures to share?

pinelakeperch
07-09-2014, 10:00 PM
That's awesome!!! Where did you end up going?? Any pictures to share?

Fished near the bridge, no pictures. For the experienced fisherman it gets a little old catching walleye after walleye knowing that they're all going to be the same size. Don't get me wrong, it was a ton of fun to see the bobber go down!